A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pre-20thC Historical Swap (Signups CLOSED, Sendouts by 12/5 *Extended to 12/14*)  (Read 11470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiorinda
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009 07:51:51 PM »

Wow, this looks really fun.  I love learning new things.  I am going to try to narrow it down to five periods of History and send in my answers.  It will probably be helpful that my husband is a History teacher, so I have lots of scholarly resources at home. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009 09:57:27 PM »

Hm... I am definitely considering this one. I would need these on my list:
1) La Belle Epoque in Paris, but particularly Montmartre (and more late 19th C - no need to get into the 20th C! Wink) - bohemian living with artists, cabarets, absinthe, and more!

2) The Tower of London - okay, it's a place - but in particular Anne Boleyn; and I also like: the Traitor's Gate, the menagerie, the tale of the two princes in the tower... and more

.... other than that I'd be batting around a few ideas from my list of options. Some more definite than others (I may have an "Art of ________" theme). Though I will say I'm not really an expert/professional/etc, I just have a genuine interest in some historical periods/events/people!  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungianwanderer
"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. "

The super-awesome and amazing Charity

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009 10:29:51 PM »

To psyche...

Even today Montmarte is...interesting. At any rate it's definately not your average over romanticized idea of Paris. You must be a fun person to craft for if you you're putting it down! I think I'd be afraid what the crazy people on craftster might come up with for that topic :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back after a long hiatus. Not doing any big swaps right now but feel free to message me for small ones and supply exchanges. I have a bunch of fabric that I'd like to swap for different supplies! 

Also, I have a pintrest now Smiley

http://pinterest.com/charityjones89/
aethelberga
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009 12:12:46 PM »

2) The Tower of London - okay, it's a place - but in particular Anne Boleyn; and I also like: the Traitor's Gate, the menagerie, the tale of the two princes in the tower... and more

Can I tell you how much I love the Tower of London? It's a great day out and probably the best tourist dollar (pound) in London. The Yeoman Warders are extremely entertaining. I think I've been there three or four times. I never tire of visiting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009 12:18:34 PM »

Can I tell you how much I love the Tower of London? It's a great day out and probably the best tourist dollar (pound) in London. The Yeoman Warders are extremely entertaining. I think I've been there three or four times. I never tire of visiting it.

And the view of Tower Bridge is spectacular!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009 12:33:58 PM »

And the view of Tower Bridge is spectacular!
The last time we were there, we went across Tower Bridge and then came back later and saw it open for a tall ship. My husband, who has been to London dozens of times (his sisters live there) had never seen it. So we plonked ourselves next to the Thames at the appointed time (it was late afternoon). And then what happens but the posh snack bar we were near was closing for the day and so gave out the unsold pastries to the few people standing there waiting for the bridge to open. It was awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiorinda
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009 02:07:57 PM »

I just got approved so here are my five-

1. St john of the Cross-16th C spanish mystic
2. The pre-raphaelite brotherhood
3. The Romantic period
4. Emily Dickinson
5. Medieval England

I am on my moms iPhone so it's too hard to write more. Looking forward to learning lots of new things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009 03:38:36 PM »

Welcome new participants, yay for more exciting historic periods!
Wow, fiorinda, you have made me very curious - I will have to do some googleing, because I know all these things by name and know so little about them...

Hm, I have always skipped the typical touristy destinations... but Towers sounds really interesting.

Don't worry about being anglocentric, aethelberga, I'll balance it with my germanocentric list Cheesy if it won't work, we can at least both feel embarassed for eurocentricity together Grin Funny you have the Latin language on your list - I thought about including ancient writing in general, but changed to a Roman then.

I included the links of the Staffordshire hoard to the historic craft-along thread which I herewith introduce to you:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=323898.0
It could be a useful database for historic background and historic craft information. You could post links for your partner, or about stuff we discuss here, and it would be easily acessable. Also, I hope for lots of actual crafts being posted there.
Whatever it is, please post, because right now, it looks like aethelberga's and my private thread Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Staar84
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009 11:55:16 AM »

Can I specify in my questionnaire that I can't do any costumes? I've never done one before, so I don't know how it would come out, plus I really don't have the money to do it right...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
aethelberga
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009 04:13:34 PM »

Oh absolutely. I don't think anyone is actually expecting you to make them a costume (that might be taking the idea of a "large" to an extreme).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use a light meter
How to Work with Natural light
How to Take Easy baby portraits
How to Take Wedding Photographs
How to Create lighting for models
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...