A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 306,410
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pre-20thC Historical Swap (Signups CLOSED, Sendouts by 12/5 *Extended to 12/14*)  (Read 14439 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aethelberga
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009 03:59:55 PM »

I would love to see the hoard. Maybe it will have settled in a museum somewhere by the time I get to the UK again. It looked really impressive. I saw the Sutton Hoo stuff, a couple of trips ago. My poor long-suffering husband gets dragged around so many museums whenever I'm there. He came to the British Museum with me, but made me go to the V & A by myself. Grin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009 04:00:18 PM by aethelberga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009 12:45:36 PM »

Sent in my questionnaire!
My favourite periods are 1) Alemannic (early medieval South Germany) 2) Celtic (La Tne and Hallstatt) 3) Viking 4) Stone Age 5) Roman
I mostly stuck to periods I have a local relation to, although that is no must for my partner. Yes, and Viking is not local to my place, but I love their artworks so much and my kids really go for the helmets and axes Grin

I googled the Sutton Hoo stuff, and its unbelievable! All the influences and styles! And the interesting thing is, the Alemans that are first on my list origin from the same region as the Anglo-Saxons, and in some pieces it so shows! (That's what they call the merowingian influence). And the Scandinavian animal bandwork style, aah, so beautiful!
Has someone a link to that AS hoard? Is it from the same period?

Edit: I found a fotostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finds/sets/72157622378376316/with/3944490322/
gotta go and melt down over the pics now...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009 12:50:40 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009 01:27:40 PM »

Oh wow...there's no way I'll have time to do this swap. I did medieval historical reenactment for almost 20 yrs and I'm an amateur anthropologist at heart.

If there's another round, I'm in! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jelliebean
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009 02:15:44 PM »

I pulled out my art history textbook from college today. It's ready to go. Cheesy I can't wait to do some research! <3 <3 <3 I hope this swap will require me to go downtown to the art galleries.

I am such a dweeb. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
    --Buddha
aethelberga
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009 04:47:35 PM »

I'm still trying to decide on my five periods/persons. Someone's going to be skunked, no matter what. Do I keep Elizabeth I or ditch her? If I keep Elizabeth I AND Boudicca, is that too many "English" queens? Right now I have to have ancient Egypt just to keep it from being totally Anglocentric.
Anyway I was leafing though a magazine today (while watching the series Rome on History TV-Thanksgivingus Maximus) and saw a type of stuffed doll, slightly different than the kind I usually make. So I might make an Elizabeth I one of those and get it out of my system.

I don't know if they've properly documented the new AS find yet, but here is a link with a little film with good pictures.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/24/anglo-saxon-treasure-hoard-gold-staffordshire-metal-detector
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungianwanderer
"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. "

The super-awesome and amazing Charity

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009 06:35:02 PM »

Mayhaps you could do what I did...I specified 18th century france but then in my note at the end put that I'm a total Francophile and heart all things French from all times. So maybe put Elizabeth and leave a note at the end saying you love all celtic things?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back after a long hiatus. Not doing any big swaps right now but feel free to message me for small ones and supply exchanges. I have a bunch of fabric that I'd like to swap for different supplies! 

Also, I have a pintrest now Smiley

http://pinterest.com/charityjones89/
aethelberga
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009 06:48:27 PM »

Okay, I whittled it down to five, and I'm sticking to it.
1. Medieval England (11th-12C)
2. Eighteenth dynasty Egypt
3. Boudicca
4. Cistercians
5. the Latin Language (medieval or Roman, I don't care)

It's a little medieval heavy, but such is life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jelliebean
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009 06:48:48 PM »

Ooooh...your post reminded me that I should have put the Borgia family in mine.  So much intrigue.
   aethelberga, I'm totally jealous that you got to see the Sutton Hoo stuff in person! I did a 20 page paper on it in college. I visited Pompeii back in 2001...and that was my only brush with real live history. Cheesy Memories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
    --Buddha
korok

Whoever dies with the most fabric wins!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009 07:07:20 PM »

I'm very tempted by this one... I have a degree in Archaeology, in Near Eastern studies (Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Mesopotamia) and took some ancient Roman and Greece classes too...  Very tempting, but will I have the time???  Maybe I'll get my 2 current swaps crafted early...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungianwanderer
"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. "

The super-awesome and amazing Charity

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009 07:18:09 PM »

<----Loves it that someone put Boudicca on their list...druid power! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back after a long hiatus. Not doing any big swaps right now but feel free to message me for small ones and supply exchanges. I have a bunch of fabric that I'd like to swap for different supplies! 

Also, I have a pintrest now Smiley

http://pinterest.com/charityjones89/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Artist Troy Surratt Is the Ultimate Beauty Innovator
Summer Must Haves From MAC!
Gigi Hadid Reveals Her Top Beauty Secrets
VF NEWS: Zoe Jordan - Fall 2015 - NYFW - Presentation & Designer Interview
Fantastic Rainbow Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...