A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I make presents when I'm broke and apathetic?  (Read 5056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« on: October 08, 2009 05:36:57 AM »

I have no idea what I'm doing for Christmas presents this year.  Usually I make everything for the extended family, but I'm not really feeling doing that this year.  They're nice enough when I give them homemade gifts, but I know they never use them.  My hours have been drastically cut back at work, and even though they'll start to go back up in December (I work retail), I think they're just going to go up to normal, instead of crazy holiday hours.  In addition to that, my in-laws won't be able to visit this year because my MIL can't get the time off work.  I'm not sure what my husband wants to do for them. 

So, what can I do here?  I'm getting down to the wire, and I'm still hoping I'm wrong and my hours will get crazy again, which will leave me minimal crafting time.  Do I throw in the towel and give everyone $5 Starbucks cards?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nadia/hope
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009 12:43:42 PM »

Take some favorite family photos or photos of yourself and your amazing husband man - frame them and ta-da....instant gifts!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009 04:39:03 PM »

That's a good idea, so good that I did it last year.  I'm not sure if I should do it again or if it's too soon.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009 10:02:54 AM »

Give them some of your time.

What I mean is, make up coupon books for things to do for them or with them.  Tickets to a local theater, a day at the park, helping with yard work, A day spent together baking, that sort of thing.

When people get older, they don't necessarily want things, they want memories.

Or you could bake for them, and send them a goody package.  Throw in a couple of local favorites, and you've got a nice package for very little money.

One year for my in-laws I started collecting all the things that made the state where I lived special, and sent them a package to enjoy while they opened other presents.  Another time I sent baked goodies and sent photos of myself making them. 

HTH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009 04:32:10 AM »

The time thing is probably good for Grandma, she always says she doesn't need any more stuff.  My mother- father- and sister-in-law are always difficult.  They're out in California (I'm in chicago) and they're not going to be able to visit this year.  FIL doesn't like anything, SIL is allergic to everything, and MIL never uses anything I give her.  Maybe send them jars of "Chicago air?"  Or maybe water for when their county starts rationing?  Cheesy

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate any help I can get with this, it's been so difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abuiten
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009 07:58:05 AM »

I'm going with food. I have the same issue, where people like the stuff I make or give, but never use it. I'm making and frosting cookies, cooking oils, bread, and even for one or two persons, we're making blackberry-infused vodka. I'm not sure how much of that you can send in the mail, but you could always make fudge or other things and put them in little tins to ship to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joybirdnc
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009 01:41:52 PM »

Bath Salts and the like would be cheap. Go to the dollar store or the mighty dollar or the like and you can get epson salt cheap and the essential oils that go in the salts. Lavender, rose or whatever. You also might be able to find a glass bottle to put them in.

You can also buy a bunch of the artificial flowers at the dollar stores or by the single. Make angels out of them. If you have the old wood bead seat covers you can use the bead for the head and take some thin tinsel or something and make a halo. pull two leaves up at the back and there are your wings or you could use ribbon. Make several for each family. You can also use acrylic beads for the heads or pearls.

Make scented pinecones. If you look that up on the internet you should be able to find out how to do. It is easy.

You could make birth stone angels out of beads for each family member. Boy and girls, men and women. I used 4 small safety pins that I got from hobby lobby and 10 mm starflakes and puffy wings.
Everyone enjoyed.

I has a friend that made the tampon angels and gave them away to men and women. They enjoyed and it gave the men something to talk about. They wore them as pins. Instructions are on the net.

A few ideas. Hope this helps.

Joybird
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JLinGriff
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009 10:21:55 PM »

Oh man that's great, Chicago Air!! Maybe you should just send them snow since they are in CA?

My in-laws couldn't give a lick about what I send them. All my mother in law wants is photos. (My family and I are in Texas while our siblings/parents etc are in Michigan/Canada.) I decided not to waste my time making something that I truly loved. I know they will just toss it aside, with out batting a lash at it. It pains me to think my blood sweat and tears went into making something for them that they could care less about. Save your money... or buy something for your children. Send them a card to say Merry Christmas and be done. I'm sure they'll understand...

The time thing is probably good for Grandma, she always says she doesn't need any more stuff.  My mother- father- and sister-in-law are always difficult.  They're out in California (I'm in chicago) and they're not going to be able to visit this year.  FIL doesn't like anything, SIL is allergic to everything, and MIL never uses anything I give her.  Maybe send them jars of "Chicago air?"  Or maybe water for when their county starts rationing?  Cheesy

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate any help I can get with this, it's been so difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
davidsdesire
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009 03:48:18 PM »

how about letters telling them you appreciate them (or certain things about them).  I have the same issue with MIL...she's LOADED and can buy whatever she wants...which isn't much.  We end up sending her stuff like a cashmere sweater or a fruit bsket.  This year it's a silk scarf and prolly a fruit basket.  I'd also like to make her a scrapbook of her kids/grandkids.  God, is it that time ALREADY???

sheesh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joybirdnc
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009 09:02:52 AM »

Cut off the pine cones at the bottom. Print out pics of grandchildren re size the pics so they will fit in the middle of the pine cone. Glue the pics and then either put some clear coat or clear finger nail polish and cover the pic up with it. let dry. Tie a string or fishing line to one of the spokes of the pine cone to hang on the Christmas tree. There the pine cone has pics and it looks like a spiral kinda.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Four Cheese Mac & Cheese
Apple Sauce Cake Recipe
Authentic Bayou Country Gumbo
How to Make Chicken and Artichokes with Chef Patrick Connolly at Bobo
Home Style Fried Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...