A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chinese trouser panel cross stitch (from a kit)  (Read 3397 times)
Tags for this thread: cross_stitch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tuatara
« on: October 08, 2009 01:47:21 AM »

This was my first cross stitch project in many, many, many years ... I bought this kit at a craft fair last year and plonked it away for a rainy day.  The rainy day came upon me one evening when I'd finished a knitting project but couldn't decide what to knit next.

I don't know how long it took me ... maybe 3 weeks (just working in the evenings).  I was kindof concerned about making something from a kit, because it felt a little un-creative somehow.  But I'm really very happy with the result:

(It really is rectangular, the photo is taken from a bad angle)

The kit came from Traveller's Tales:  http://www.travellers-tales.com/ - it's called the "Mien trouser panel".  I had a couple of disappointments - the chart was wrong in a few places, and some of it was printed so lightly that I had to go over with a pen and mark in the stitches by looking at a photo of the finished project.

I was also very disappointed that the needle which came with the kit broke when I was only about halfway done!  I've broken many sewing machine needles before, but never any kind of hand-sewing needle.  So I finished it with a not-quite-appropriate (too sharp, too long, and too hard to thread) needle that I had on hand.  I feel like doing more embroidery now so I guess I should shop for some good quality embroidery needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009 03:00:23 AM »

I don't know that the kit reduces the value of this embroidery at all. The Miao people of China (2 provinces south of where I live) use panels like this and they sit like a loin cloth across their front. They all have similar designs, so without the chart, you wouldn't make an authentic trouser panel. I think you should be proud of this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tuatara
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009 04:09:49 AM »

Thank you schnerby!

I am proud of it, and I think I will have it framed.  My worry was that I would end up thinking "well it's nice, but I wish I had designed something myself".

Somewhere I have a stash of photos of embroideries & clothing somewhere, from a museum in Shanghai, and when I took them I had intentions to use some of the designs for craft projects.  I know it wouldn't be authentic, but I still hope to do that.  I love Chinese textiles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009 06:18:35 AM »

tuatara, that's a very beautiful piece!  Love the colors and design.  Don't worry that it came from a kit - everything's gotta start somewhere.  As for the broken needle, I've broken the eyes even on quality needles; meh, don't worry about it.  Also, how big is the panel?  Could it be used as a decoration on, say, a tote bag?

schnerby, when the trouser panel is worn, is it oriented as in the picture here or does it sit side ways?  Are these used just as decoration or in lieu of a fly on pants?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
schnerby
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009 06:20:51 AM »

Excellent idea! It doesn't have to be authentic. If it was authentic you would have to buy it made by a local artisan. It's your version and that's fine.

I collect Southern Chinese textiles. I just came back from a trip to Hunan province where I got cloth woven by Miao minority people on looms. Lovely stuff! I also have textiles and batik from Sichuan province, Yunnan province, Tibet and many other places. Love it! You can see the women sitting around emboridering in the street and weaving away on looms. Also, many still wear traditional clothing.

I have tonnes of pics of both the weaving and the textiles including the people wearing them if this is something you're interested in.

Sadly, the people around where I live mostly do cross stitch from kits. I haven't seen any local textile designs, which is sad.

schnerby, when the trouser panel is worn, is it oriented as in the picture here or does it sit side ways?  Are these used just as decoration or in lieu of a fly on pants?
A trouser panel is worn mostly by men as shown in the picture, an upright oblong. It often hangs from the belt over a longish tunic, so it doesn't have any modesty-protecting purpose. Women wear them apron style, and again, no practical purpose except as an apron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiberartsy

That rug really tied the room together.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009 06:38:36 AM »

WOW!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tuatara
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009 07:00:27 AM »

Also, how big is the panel?  Could it be used as a decoration on, say, a tote bag?

It's 13 x 24 cm (about 5 x 9 inches).  It would be a great size for going on a tote bag, but I'd be scared of getting it dirty!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tuatara
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009 07:06:32 AM »

I collect Southern Chinese textiles. I just came back from a trip to Hunan province where I got cloth woven by Miao minority people on looms. Lovely stuff! I also have textiles and batik from Sichuan province, Yunnan province, Tibet and many other places. Love it! You can see the women sitting around emboridering in the street and weaving away on looms. Also, many still wear traditional clothing.

I have tonnes of pics of both the weaving and the textiles including the people wearing them if this is something you're interested in.

I'd love to see your pictures!  I'll PM you.  I'm feeling pretty jealous of your travels - I have been to China twice, and still yearn to go back again.  But it isn't the easiest place to travel around, and it felt difficult to get "off the beaten path" and see the genuine Chinese way of life rather than the tourist version.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009 07:19:49 AM by tuatara » THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009 07:12:20 AM »

Ok, I'll find a way to share them with you. I might flickr them or something. Even clickable thumbnails... hmmm

I live here, hence all the travelling about. China is a fascinating country. I love the textiles and I like that you tookthe time to make this piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tuatara
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009 07:25:30 AM »

I live here, hence all the travelling about. China is a fascinating country. I love the textiles and I like that you tookthe time to make this piece.

I agree, it really is fascinating, on so many levels.  I've gotta say, the language barrier was the biggest problem for me.  If that didn't feel so difficult, I would have been back many times by now.  My attempts to say anything in Chinese were completely futile!  At one stage we had to play charades in order to get a taxi to the airport.  Picture two adults on the street pretending to be airplanes.  It's funny now, but felt stressful at the time!

Back on topic (almost), I'm feeling really encouraged and I have found my pictures from the Shanghai museum, so I'm going to start thinking up a new project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Classic Pleat by Percy and Reed
Jaclyn Smith on Her Hairdo
High-End and Low End Saloon Haircuts
What Frightens Women About Cutting Their Hair
Overcoming Haircut Fears
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...