A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creepy-Cute-inspired Phantom of the Opera  (Read 3627 times)
Tags for this thread: movie_monsters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Creative_Cat

When in doubt... sleep on it.

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2009 01:38:46 PM »

So the time came where I was getting ready to craft for Halloween. I wanted themed decorations. After seeing the Broadway Across America rendition of the book I'd adored for half my life, the theme came easily enough.

The Creepy-Cute style seemed natural for the project, but I wanted something a little more complex. The mini-Phantom would have been happy for me to crochet the mask right onto his face (or just to make him cute instead of creepy). But that to me seemed to lose so much character.

So crochet faster! I've got careers to ruin and people to strangle, and I need props. Oh, and something I can wear on a date... I can't go out looking like this!

I solved the main technical problem easily (if disturbingly).

You want me to... button it onto my eye??

But mini-Erik seemed a lot happier as a result.

Naaaaaaah! Na na na na naaaaaaaaaaah!!!

The mini-Phantom developed a personality based on things I found funny about the book/production/2004 movie. But it was as though I'd bred a chihuahua. Whereas the full-sized Phantom had his majesty, his wounded dignity, and ultimately some decency, his crochet version just had a lot of weird ticks - he told dirty musician jokes, spied on me and my husband in the bedroom, talked about his hosery fetish, and rewrote all of Lloyd Weber's production - all of it! - to be about breaking large light fixtures.

But also unlike the full-sized Phantom, he was so... cuddly! He liked to sit on my chest and read gothic shorts with me, and I'd pat his little mostly-bald head. When he demanded lots of props, I was happy to satisfy him with a wee little Punjab lasso, a pair of plyers from an old charm necklace...

Paaaaast the point of no return
No upward glances
The exit's blocked, so let this thing descend...

...and of course the other technical challenge.

...What raging fires shall flood the crowd!
What rich desires to scream out loud!
What sweet destruction lies befooooooore uuuussssss...

It was the chandelier, I think, that took my husband over the edge. That or my refusal to crochet a Raoul (on the grounds that he'd be subject to repeated stranglings, chandelier-induced traumas, or catnip massages. My husband fantacizes wearing a cute little Hussar uniform like the one Raoul wears to the masquerade).

The huz decided I gave the Phantom whatever he wanted (not true; I drew the line at letting him saw a trapdoor in the dresser so he could disappear into his lair in the sock drawer).  Soon it was war between them. They were trash-talking each other ("Bravo Messeur, such spirited words!") and challenging each other to sword fights and setting stuff on fire. (No doubt my husband I had to prevent a disaster beyond imagination. (Actually I did imagine the huz strangled by a long piece of red yarn.)

Of course, we all know the Phantom has one weakness.

My nuptual mass has been written. Wait till you hear the kyrie!

But having refused to crochet Raoul for ethical reasons, how could I possibly make a cute little soprano for the Phantom to kidnap? I argued to him that couldn't make Christine because she wasn't creepy. He said, she'd be sort of creepy if she was wearing the wedding dress I picked out for her like she did at the end of the production.

I ran out of arguments. I felt like Dr. Frankenstein - quite the wrong story. But there was a ray of hope - Raoul was ultimately helpless against the Phantom. Christine had a chance.

The Phantom made me redo the dress three times before he was sure it would fit her, and then rip out all the lace. And don't even get me started about making those Sarah Brightman curls. But as I worked, I realized that Christine, too, was being changed a bit by the shrinking. She was going to be cute. Heartbreakingly, devastatingly cute. But while the real Christine seemed slightly ashamed of her duplicity, mini-Christine would return to the sock drawer freely just to torment the Phantom with her cuteness.  She was going to have him whipped. She was going to have his mask any time she wanted it.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009 02:11:16 PM »

This is AWESOME!  Beyond words...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wawamommy
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009 03:09:11 PM »

I so love this!!!  The phantom is my favorite!  I love all your pictures and the details.  The chandelier is awesome!  (If it were me, I'd make a Raoul too!) You've inspired me to add phantom amigurumis to my list of things to crochet for me one day.  This rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AprilDraven
Tutorial Contributor

I aim to misbehave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009 03:49:03 PM »

Your phantom is soooo cute. I love Erik! I made a phantom a few months ago. Now I might have to make a mini one to take with me places hehe. mini phantom lol brings back Austin Powers memories...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErintheRed02
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009 05:35:33 PM »

The amigurumis are awesome but the story totally sells it

Great job! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafting Blog!
http://nerdyhooker.blogspot.com/

My Pinterest (that I actually use)!
http://pinterest.com/erinthered02/

My wist (always forget to use it but am working on it!):
http://www.wists.com/ErintheRed
Creative_Cat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009 08:57:27 AM »

Thanks!  Cheesy

I'm rather torn about Raoul right now - as is the Phantom, actually. On one hand, his track record against a romantic rival aren't good. On the other hand, he has no one to strangle! I'm really afraid it would just end up being a Christine sandwich all the time. I've already found these two in rather compromising arrangements. Little perverts. Actually it's probably my husband, who is also still rooting for Raoul, and said himself the Phantom needs a nemesis to torture. The huz is finally realizing that I like a little evil in a guy. (He found out wayyyy more than he wanted to know about me after the production.) Wink

I love the idea of having variously sized Phantoms, for after all, he was a master of illusion and it's not a stretch (agh! pun not intended) to say he could pack himself into a suitcase. I'm actually on a business trip right now and reeeeally wanted to bring this one with me... but I was sure the huz would go insane with jealousy. So he's at home, probably still spying on Christine and making plans to sell the huz's organs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

~Better than Alexander the Great~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009 02:51:18 AM »

This is amazing! I adore your little Phantom. Such a little terror at times, I'd imagine. And him spying on Christine non-stop! The perv! I have never been a fan of Raoul, sadly (I always rooted for the Phantom, it seems. And Raoul is a bit of a fop...), but Phantom DOES need some sort of nemesis...

Maybe crochet a character from a completely different book/musical/play/movie all together. I always though V (from V for Vendetta) would be a good rival for Phantom. On one hand, they are very much alike... and on the other, they are both very stubborn. And V seems to be attracted to curly-haired brunettes as well. ;P

Of course, you could always make Carlotta, if you want someone for him to strangle or send a chandelier down on. (By the way, the your chandelier just killed me! You're amazing for making that)

Anyways, thanks for the laugh your story provided me. I love the dolls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hats Don't Kill People. People IN Hats Kill People!
http://alexandra-the-great.webs.com/
http://www.wists.com/Alexandra-the-Great
Creative_Cat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009 03:04:27 PM »

"Dear diary... the Voice continues to visit me. I'm getting rather dubious about the whole angel thing. What kind of angel gets jealous of other guys? So the other day, I was having my Hannibal costume fit - the skimpy little thing - and I faked a 'wardrobe malfunction.' The damnable seamstress was all over herself apologising and assuring me it wouldn't happen during a performance... but even so... I distinctly heard heavy breathing coming from the mirror."

While it was just the Phantom, I was sure there would be no Raoul, but Christine thinks it would be great to have two boyfriends. We shall see... in the meantime, the Phantom will probably have a lot of temporary nemeses in the form of zombies, vampires and the cthulhu I'm making for friends' stocking stuffers! It sounds like a bad horror flick already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fried Catfish Sandwich
How to Prepare Cherries Jubilee
Home Brew Hoisin Ribs Recipe
Braised Baby Carrots Recipe
How to Make Pork Loin Roast Sandwiches
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...