A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little Birdie Baby Mobile  (Read 1173 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zootzie
« on: October 07, 2009 08:11:32 AM »

Edit: added a pattern as best I could.

Please excuse my poor pictures. I hope to have a new camera in a month or so! Smiley Anyway, my husband and I are expecting our first child, and it's a great excuse to craft! Here's a little mobile I just finished of little amigurumi birds. The first picture has a Euro coin for scale. The rings are also crocheted. If the baby doesn't like it, I'll hang it over my own head!

It's hard to get an idea how the birds hang in the photo (I hung them alternating low and high on each ring), but it looks much better in person. The birds are very lightweight, and the smallest air current gets them moving. I'm thinking of making a little turtle mobile as well, because this was so fun and took hardly any time.

Pattern: This is my first attempt at writing a pattern, I can't follow them myself and usually just go by trying to match the picture in my head. I used a 3 mm hook and cotton yarn, not sure what size that is in US measurements

Bird Bodies: I made a "magic ring" of 6 SC. Expand by doing 2 SC in every stitch. On the next row, expand every other stitch by 2 in SC. SC 4 rows around. Decrease until bodies close up.

Bird Wings: Magic ring of 6 SC, SC two rows around, attach to body.

Feet and Beak: I just sort of "sculpted" them with a few SC stitches. I believe the feet were 2 rows of 2 SC. They're so small it's ok if they turn out a little goofy.

For covering the ring: It's a little hard to describe. I made a knot on the ring, and made a loop with my hook. I then pulled the yarn over the front of the ring, made a loop, pulled the yarn from the back of the ring and pulled through to make a stitch.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009 09:31:15 AM by zootzie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairieknits
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009 08:35:40 AM »

Super cute!

What did you use as the rings that you crocheted around?

I'm expecting my first in February and we are thinking of going with an ocean/underwater theme for the babaies room. I want to do fish and turtles and other sea animals for a baby mobile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is a work of fiction.  All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence.  Or lack thereof.~Neil Gaiman
I love personal swaps. I crochet, sew and more!
craftyclogs
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009 09:15:52 AM »

Oh wow, that is adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chobah
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009 09:56:32 AM »

what an adorable idea Grin  you just inspired me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zootzie
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009 02:55:41 PM »

Super cute!

What did you use as the rings that you crocheted around?

I'm expecting my first in February and we are thinking of going with an ocean/underwater theme for the babaies room. I want to do fish and turtles and other sea animals for a baby mobile.

They were (I believe) bamboo rings I bought at the craft store. Nothing special! Smiley An underwater mobile sounds adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chineseathena
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009 10:48:19 PM »

That's so adorable! Would you mind sharing your pattern for the patterns or where you found the pattern?  Grin Great job! I totally want to do that when I have kids!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zootzie
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009 09:32:24 AM »

That's so adorable! Would you mind sharing your pattern for the patterns or where you found the pattern?  Grin Great job! I totally want to do that when I have kids!

Pattern added. Hope it makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Light a Portrait
How to Light a Still Life
How to Choose Your Virtual Film Speed
How to Choose Your Shutter Speed
Recipe Photo Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...