A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
838 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Lunch Ideas...oh and soup too  (Read 5720 times)
Tags for this thread: soup  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nilla_bean

www.atelierwoodenapples.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005 11:57:45 AM »

For the most part I find the idea of fake meat to be some what strange, the fact that humans are so used to consuming animals that we have to trick ourselves into eating imposter meat is bizzare to me but I didn'tr try meat until I was 13 and it didn't really interest me by then. The only imposter meat I ate as a child was veggie dogs.YUM. There are lots of yummies out there for vegans and vegetarians, the hardest thing for me to give up is cheese, but I just found the Tofutti" Better thand cream cheese" and it's so yummy, not gross at all you actually can't tell it's not cream cheese ( I sound like a commercial) but it's that good. Try looking for the "How it all vegan " and the"garden of vegan" cookbooks both written by two awesome ladies here in Victoria BC. or try www.Goveg.net
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ash_a007
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2005 07:29:53 AM »

Thanks for the tomato soup recipe!  Once it gets a little chilly.....
Yea I'm not one for fake meat either, sometimes for sloppy joes and veg dogs and gardenburgers can be alright but otherwise...oh i do have to admit I had tuno once, fake tuna and it wasn't half bad in the salad i ate it in
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\          /     |***    -----|       /\      | \    |
   \     /       |***    |  --       /-- \    |   \  |
     \ /         |****  |----|     /     \   |    \ |
tinytallgirl
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005 08:58:52 AM »

You're welcome.  You know, instead of imitation meat, you might want to look into grilled portobello mushroom burgers.  They're wonderful with a dressing on a bun with carmelized onions, fresh european mix salad for lettuce and dressing!  you could even bake some sweet potato fries!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005 09:40:12 PM by tinytallgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
artistic_lunacy
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005 05:46:55 PM »

I find that wraps are a great way to go. Cooked tofu, rice, whatever veggies are lying around and your favourite salad dressing. Corn is awsome in wraps, I find.
Sushi is a recent phase of mine. Basically it's the same concept as wraps, but the material of the wrap is nori and rice.
Taboulh salads are awsome for a light meal. I like making them with quinoa instead of semoule...
Or just normal salads...
For school lunch, I like sandwiches, but it got more complicated once I went vegan. Luckily good old Yves has veggie cold cuts. Really, anything that you normally eat can be suplimented. Soy cheese also exists, but be careful to check the ingredients. Soy cheeses often contain casein, which is derived from milk, and therefore an animal product.
As for soups, I find that once you have the basics for veggie broth down, you can put in whatever veggies you feel work. That's more or less the way I cook...what tastes good together. I tried usuing soy milk once in the place of milk for a cream of mushroom soup recipie, and it turned out really really awsome, even though the consistency was a bit odd...Just make sure it isn't vanilla flavoured.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ash_a007
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005 06:32:19 PM »

what do you generally use for your wraps?  flatbread or are you more of a tortilla person.  i've been wanting to try the green tortillas but haven't yet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\          /     |***    -----|       /\      | \    |
   \     /       |***    |  --       /-- \    |   \  |
     \ /         |****  |----|     /     \   |    \ |
curse10

lawyer, crafter, housewife extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2005 08:36:31 AM »

I think Yves (Spelling?) makes really good veggie burgers and fake bacon.   Some people like their ground beef, but it just seems a bit too meaty to me.   I try not to buy them unless there is a mega sale on since they are quite pricy.

Yves, by far, has the best veggie dogs.  Although I just tried the quorn ones, and they aren't too bad.  I've always used morningstar bacon, will have to try Yves out though.

As for vegan lunches, I usually snack on veggies all day :-)  Since I'm octo-lavo I also indulge in egg salad sandwiches.  I do have an excellent recipe for black bean soup- will post it when I get home :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinytallgirl
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2005 12:55:41 PM »

Funny...I'm quite the happy omnivore.  However, as much as I love eggs and things made with eggs: cakes sweets breads items with soy lecithin.  I have to avoid them, food allergy in addition to shellfish.  Only not lethal, just makes my skin terribly miserable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
terin
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005 01:09:13 PM »

if you have a crockpot around, vegan chili is really easy (and cheap) to make.  basically, there's a million variations but I'll turn the crockpot on in the morning and throw in a couple cans of undrained stewed or diced tomatoes, a can of drained and rinsed black beans, canned or frozen corn, chopped onion, garlic and bell peppers, about 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup of textured vegetable protein (available at health food stores, local co-op, etc.) and cumin, chilli powder, and cayenne (if you like it hot).  I leave it on low all day while at work and come home to a delicious dinner.  if you have more time, sauteeing the garlic and fresh veggies beforehand might add to the flavor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005 01:16:36 PM »

I loooove Morningstar brand mini Corn Dogs.

Easy veggie luches- all-natural peanut butter and any flavor jam sandwiches, with veggies and fruit.

Get a pita and FILL it with lettuce, mushrooms, cucumber, tomato, onion if you like it, bell pepper, etc. Top with your favorite dressing. Make sure to package all your ingredients separately- the tomato and mushroom will make everything squishy.

One of my favorite salads is my version of Spinach-Artichoke dip. I do raw spinach, quarter a can of artichoke hearts, slice black olives, and top with Parmesan cheese. (You could use vegan cheese or leave it off entirely).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
corinne_x3
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2005 01:26:47 PM »

I love edamame (I think that's how you spell it)!! They are soybeans so they have a lot of protein and they are really yummy. I like them warm but they're good cold too like in your lunch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Convert Photos to Cross-Stitch Designs
How to Crochet
How to Cut Plexiglas
How to Determine the Value of Your Beanie Babies
How to Design Quilts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...