A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Lunch Ideas...oh and soup too  (Read 5789 times)
Tags for this thread: soup  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

speed heart
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005 10:41:23 PM »

tofu salad is pretty easy. just drain 1 block tofu, mash/crumble, add some veganaise, lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika, and whatever random veggies you want to put in it. then you can make it a sandwich, or plain, or on crackers...

as far as faux-meat products, I am a fan of tofurky.

veggie sloppy joe mix from fantastic foods is always good. makes a ton, and its good on sandwiches or with fried potatoes/onions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ash_a007
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005 06:28:19 PM »

Thanks for your replies everyone they're awesome and greatly apprciated, but anyways, i was reading somewhere and i guess the "gardenburger" is more natural than the "boca" burger.  Has anybody ever used tuno before.  Its like a tuna sub. and it definately has potential if you are willing to give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\          /     |***    -----|       /\      | \    |
   \     /       |***    |  --       /-- \    |   \  |
     \ /         |****  |----|     /     \   |    \ |
poseursteph
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005 04:37:14 PM »

Speed hear- i'm a fan of tofurkey too! i love it with vegenase [or nayonase] and make a big sandwhich out of it. I've had days where i eat tofurkey sandwiches for lunch and dinner! The fantastic taco is excellent too, i used to always eat refried bean burritos but that never satisfied my cravings for tacos- but the fantasic brand taco is the perfect texture. their nature burger is excellent too.
You mentioned that you're concerned about protien- have you thought about drinking protein shakes?  Most grocery stores have a vitamin isle where protein shakes can usually be found. The other day i got  this vegan-friendly stuff called Phyto-soy. The double dutch chocolate is very tastey and has more protien and less sugar than all the other brands i've tried.

[sorry about the run on sentences you guys!]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PraiseSeitan
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005 05:56:05 PM »

These are the fruits and vegetables that are considered "complete" protiens. (meaning they have all the amino acids you need to be able to produce all 23 amino acids....yeah...) The amount of protien in each of these is pretty low compared to eating processed foods (like seitan which has about 50 grams in the amount I eat for a meal, compared to maybe 8-12 grams in the amount of carrots I can eat) But, it is always better to get vitamins and crap from fruits and veggies..haha.

So...
Carrots
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Corn
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Kale
Okra
Peas
Potatoes
Summer squash
Sweet potatoes
Tomatoes
Bananas

<3 Xaro
THIS ROCKS   Logged
speed heart
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005 12:28:45 PM »

poseur steph- have you tried the tofurky sausages? mmmm, so good! & where did you come across the phyto-soy stuff? I have been looking for a non whey based protein powder for a long time....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poseursteph
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005 05:14:04 PM »

Nope i've never tried the sausages,i probally should though!
have you ever had the soyboy ravoli? the green ones are yummy!
you can get the phyto-soy stuff online at:
http://mainstore.universalnutrition.com/html/product.cfm?id=96

that's about the same price i get it at.

*this company is not totally vegan - which makes me sad but it's the only brand that i can find that carries vegan protein mix.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005 05:17:30 PM by poseursteph » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherrymen
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005 05:15:04 PM »

I definitely like meat too much. Pastrami is what I have been living off of for the last 48 hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poseursteph
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005 05:30:42 PM »

speed- i was just on veganessentials.com and under personal care/ vitamins they have some vegan protein shake mixes  Smiley

i hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleweasel
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005 10:13:19 PM »

I definitely like meat too much. Pastrami is what I have been living off of for the last 48 hours.

Hehe I like pastrami too, but in the veggie form....I forget which brand makes it. 
For protein I eat

Edamame (green soybeans)
chickpeas
ok-lots of beans, i really like them alot!
Fried tofu stirfry Cheesy
lots of whole grains---a minimal source of protein, but every bit counts! (Irish oatmeal)
nuts! Almonds are my favorites

also, remember that protein is not always all it's cracked up to be...at least from what i've read many people eat too much protein, and then it just ends up being stored as fat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy www.littleweasel.etsy.com
tinytallgirl
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005 11:46:46 AM »

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, nor do I see becoming one in the future.  So, I'm not sure if either recipe will work for you in terms of soup, but here's a shot:

Rustic Tomato Soup:
1 chopped whole onion (1 cup)
1/4 cup of fresh Basil chopped or hand torn (set some aside to garnish later)
1/4 cup of fresh Cilantro chopped or hand torn (set some aside to garnish later)
2 cans of whole tomatoes, not stewed
1 or 2 of these
Sea Salt or Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a good sized pot over med-high heat.  Use a ladle and crush and separate the whole tomatoes, then once it starts to boil, bring down to a simmer.  Add salt and pepper to your taste/liking.  Remember, it's a rustic tomato soup, so it won't look processed like campbells, nor will it be thick. You can eat this with either Ak-Mak crackers from trader joe's or an egg free bread available at whole foods.  If you find vegan friendly croutons, you can drench them a bit in basil infused olive oil and pop into the oven to warm and then use as garnish with the fresh herbs.

In my recipe at home, I use low sodium chicken broth and will top it with a 4 cheese blend that I keep handy at home:  Pecorino Romano, Asiago, Reggiano Parmesan, and a little mozzarella.

*Don't forget, there's always miso soup, and miso with tofu.  Have you had shabu-shabu before?  We have it at home and my hubby loves it.  Instead of bonito flakes (dried fish) for the broth, we use the Wakame seaweed Kelp and cut a 1 x 2 inch of that and place it to boil.  On the platter to boil is chopped up Napa Cabbage, Inoki Mushrooms, Sliced fresh Shitake mushrooms, and Medium firm Tofu, Clear noodle, soba noodle, or sometimes the thick Udon noodle, carrots, etc.  Our dipping sauce is ponzu (citrus/soysauce) with a shredded spicy radish and green onions.  We sit by this portable gas stove in the back patio in the garden with a bowl of rice in one hand and we proceed to pick our vegetables/noodles and let them boil...then dip into the ponzu sauce, lay it on the rice and eat.  We like the paper thin beef shabu shabu as well. So it's fairly animal friendly for you without the meat.

Hope this helped a bit.

Cheers
Tiny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Watercolor Painting
How to Stretch Paper in Watercolor Painting
Sanctum Cast Interviews
How to Draw a Football
How to Sketch Chibi Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...