A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help making dog car seat  (Read 9987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftster2

<y daughter, Bethany Linda

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2009 09:33:48 AM »

All pictures are clickable  Smiley

So I want to have a go at making something like this for my pooch , she's around chihuahua size at the minute.

I have an idea of how I could possibly make one and would like some feedback please Grin

I was thinking I could use one of these plastic storage tubs , turned upside down without the lid (?) as the base of the seat. I could then fasten (somehow??) either a more shallow plastic storage tub or a wicker basket . I'd obviously make a cushion to make it comfy for her. The reason for me wanting to use a wicker basket would be because I wouldn't have to cover the whole chair. I was thinking I could make a cover for the bottom plastic tub to hide the ugliness, and then add a simple lacey trim around the bottom of the basket.
I would also need to make sure it's secure in the car using the seatbelt, and have Chloe fastened inside it with her harness, any thoughts on that?

Anybody else have any ideas, anything would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewwhut

Love Love Love :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009 01:56:03 PM »

I'm excited to see how this comes out, i have a chihuahua jack mix and have been thinking about fashioning her something similiar to this, not that anything will really stop her from climbing on my lap to stick her head out the window, she's such a free spirit. Let me know how it comes out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beadbakery
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009 04:28:05 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't want to pay crazy amounts for doggie car seats!!  I am moving across the country in July and have a mini dachshund who rides on my lap now for short rides.  I was looking at the console car seat.  I was thinking about a rubbermaid type bin too and lining it.  I would have to make straps to go under the lid of the console to hold it in place. 

To make it as high as you want what about silicon'ing two bins together, one upside down (butting the two bottoms together so you get the seat part and the height?

Let us know how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandamouse123
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010 06:19:52 PM »

I have a pug/beagle/ boston terrier mix who's craaaazy in the car.  I'm having a hard time training her to be calm while I'm driving, so for the mean time, I made her a seat belt.  It's just a little piece (maybe a foot long or so) of that webbing stuff you can buy by the foot at the craft store.  I folded over both ends individually, one side to fit through a seat belt, and the other to fit a carabeener. 

Then I just put her "seat belt" in the lapbelt in the middle back seat, and clip her harness to the carabeener.  From the middle, she can see outside just fine, and I guess it's probably somewhat safer than rigging up some sort of contraption. . .   And hey, you could always put a cushy pet bed in the back seat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<insert witty saying here>

Flickr
stereotypical
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010 08:45:58 AM »

From a fellow small breed owner, I'd be afraid to put my dog in a homemade car seat. Part of the reason they cost so much is because they are tested in crashes. My Moxii and Luca used to just sit in the back seat while I was driving. I got into a car accident, and Luca broke his leg. Now they both sit in the trunk of my car (a honda cr-v) where I had a metal fabricator friend bolt a dog crate to the floor. It saves them from being tossed around too much. Seat belts and carseats are cool and cute, but really, the best place to put your dog is in a crate in the back seat, preferably strapped into something. They should never travel up front, because of the air bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010 03:54:06 PM »

I've been drawing up plans to make a doggy seat out of light-weight wood. Then I am going to add foam cushioning and a removable cover (so I can wash the cover). I'm still trying to figure out how to fasten it in to the car snuggly.. and of course it will have a place to clip the pup's harness to. I'm obsessive about keeping dogs in the back seat and secured. I've seen too many dogs thrown into, or through, a windshield in a crash  Cry
I think that for those that can't afford a store-bought seat, it IS possible to make a safe one at home. It just requires a bit of work and a LOT of research Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
jagged
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010 09:17:11 PM »

There is a Simplicity pattern you could look at in the store.   Simplicity 2984
Here is the info from the back of the pattern. http://images.patternreview.com/sewing/patterns/simplicity/2984/2984.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ajabj5
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011 07:04:06 PM »

I have checked into the commercial carseats you have posted along with several others.  I have not seen anything that mentions they have been crash tested.

I did make a carseat for my dog that has a fear of riding.  It worked like a charm. I used a tote and got one that would be large enough for him to lay down in if he wanted too.  Tall enough that he could be enclosed without without being able to flip out.  I lined the tote with a quilted padding to make it nice and soft on the inside and around the top edges.  Then I took a piece of fabric and made a covering that would hold the the batting in place and make the outside look nice.  I also made a to slots in the tote and the fabric to allow for the seatbelt to fit through and connect in the car. The bottom I bought a nice fluffy pillow to make it nice and soft.  I also bought a netgear seatbelt harness that goes around the seatbelt and then attaches to the dogs harnness to hold him in place.

He now loves to ride.  We no longer need to use the carset only strap him in with the seatbelt harness and his harness.  Works like a charm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowpin
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011 08:21:16 PM »

I love dogs very much, i will try my best to take care of my Hey.

___________________ ___________
Ps3 accessories, Nintendo wii accessories, Xbox 360 accessories, ps3 controller
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011 08:23:42 PM by yellowpin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Foundation
Naeem Khan Fall 2013 RTW: Hair and Makeup Preview
Advice From Past Cover Stars on How to Enter the Pretty Amazing Contest
Go Behind-the-Scenes of the Hunger Games Fashion Shoot
Get a Glam, Pearl Mani For Prom
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...