A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tunisian Knit Stitch mitten (prototype - includes vague instructions)  (Read 3718 times)
Tags for this thread: mittens , tunisian_crochet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2009 05:22:37 AM »

Are you sitting?  Now?  How about now?  Ok!

Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce to you my Appropriately-Sized-Mitten Prototype.

(This is the best all-over shot I could get before the batteries in my camera died.  You'll see a possible cause for this in a minute.)

Some of you may remember my first attempt to make a mitten (intending it for a *child* no less!)

(For an idea of scale think "oven mitt".)

I was a bit wary of trying again; that is, until the temperature here dropped.  I wore my winter coat the other day for the first time this season, and when I shoved my hands in the pockets I found one mitten.  That's when I remembered that I'd lost its twin last winter.  I do have several other pairs of mittens, but they are still packed away in a box somewhere.  Clearly the answer here was to try again to make a pair. (What do you mean, "Why don't you just unpack already?" Who's side are you on?)

I grabbed some Bernat Satin and went to it.

I started by using the same pattern of stitches I used on some coffee cup cozies I made last year:

ch 13
sc in second chain from hook, 11 more sc across, ch1, turn.
12 sc, back loop only, ch 1 turn (repeat this as many times as needed.  I did 30, but I think that was a few too many)
hold the last row against the first row, and sc them together to form the cuff.

Next I sc around one end, doing on sc at the end of each row of the cuff, and joining.  I figured this would be easier to work with.

I then lifted up 36 loops to start the Tunisian Knit Stitch part.  To work Tunisian in the round you need a double-ended hook and two balls of yarn.  The loops I lifted up were green, and I worked them off with red.  Because I'm like that. ^_^

I kept trying it on as I went, so I could keep an eye out for the thumb placement.  To leave a hole, I did 6 yo, and skipped 6 stitches, then kept on going.  It was a bit tricky working those yo off, but I managed.  It seemed to work ok, anyway.

Trying it out; I did this a lot while making this mitten!

And the back:

Once I passed the thumbhole, I kept going with the Tunisian Knit Stitch until I almost reached the tips of my fingers.  I then did a series of decreases that I don't really like, so I'm not going to do them that way next time. ^_^

I did a few more decreases once I felt it was long enough, then did a sort of drawstring gather that didn't really work too well.  I ended up "fixing" a lot of the problems it caused when I was weaving in the green end.

I went back to the thumbhole and worked it the same way as the rest of the mitten, just with fewer stitches.  I picked up 6 sts each on the bottom and top of the hole, as well as an extra stitch on either side.

I was quite pleased to see how well the stitches blended in.

I didn't quite make the thumb long enough for my liking (I was terribly excited that I was nearly finished.  Also, I really need to get a shorter double-ended-hook if I'm going to keep making mittens this way; 14 inches is *way* too much for 6 or 7 stitches!)

I do like how I finished the tip of the thumb, though, and will have to try it for the tip of the fingers on the next one.  I did a few decreases on the last round, then bound it off with slip stitches like you would when finishing any other Tunisian project.  Then I used the long tail I left to weave through the slip stitches and pulled it closed like a drawstring.  This worked much better!

The really fun part about this mitten?

It's reversible!

A closer shot:

Things to do on the next one:

- don't decrease on the hand part until a round or two from the end
- longer thumb
- some kind of stitch around the bottom of the cuff for a more finished look
- find a stitch for the top of the cuff that won't leave little holes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009 05:37:08 AM »

I need to learn to tunisian crochet. those are beautiful and look like they'd be super warm!
(PS isn't bernat satin great for mittens?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009 05:46:49 AM »

Thanks!  I seem to use Bernat Satin for everything, it's just so soft!  I'm just waiting on a really good sale for it so I can stock up again... I'm starting to run out of most of the colours! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mae57
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010 12:47:53 PM »

Smiley those are so nice. My problem is when I start to do this stitch I get confused I guess  because it is new to me. I hope I can master this. you did a perfect job  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you have this Simplicity dress pattern #7202 from 1996's please E-Mail me
playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010 10:27:30 AM »

That mitten is awesome! I'm currently making a hat and luna scarf out of Bernat Satin for a gift. I have a hat, scarf and mittens on my project list for myself, I may just use this yarn. Also on my list is to learn Tunisian crochet. I have a 10" hook ready and waiting. I may have borrow your idea or at least use it for inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010 10:36:22 AM »

I can't wait to see what you end up making!

I love me some Bernat Satin.  I recently bought some Bernat Satin Sport, and while it's soft and lovely like the regular Satin, it's splitting terribly!  I'm hoping that's because I'm just not used to working with it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amythest_star
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010 11:59:27 AM »

These are beautiful.  I can't wait to try them. 

The color combination and technique you have used is just so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander
Afterlives of the Dead and Famous
Recovery Story: Burned, Blinded, and Blessed
Let the Sky Fall Trailer
The Life of John Hay, from Lincoln to Roosevelt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...