A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,871
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First freezer paper stencil, Shaolin curtain of DEATH!  (Read 2310 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JediLynne
« on: October 05, 2009 11:43:35 PM »

My SO just moved away to go to college, and is in a very...interesting old house. There are many peculiarities that the current residents have come to accept and expect, like the bathroom doorknob not always staying on, at least one utility being in a state on disrepair at all times, and his room's closet door being in the basement, with a completely different varnish than the rest of the house. Knowing he, (and certainly not I,) would try to restain the door, I set out to make him a rad curtain to cover the mess of a closet.

For my first freezer paper stencil, you would think I'd try to do something small, approachable, and...sane. It seems I thought otherwise.

I started documenting the process once I got the pic blown up and I had finished filling in areas of the stencil with marker. I don't remember the specifics of why I had to do that, something with the printer, probably. And yes, it took up the whole end of my twin bed.

Here's where the cutting started. It took about 3 or 4 hours, and I'm very proud that I didn't cut myself once. (This is from the person who has accidentally stabbed herself with both knitting needles and forks. Both hurt, I would strongly advise against trying it.)

Once the stencil was cut and ironed onto the curtain, which was no small ordeal, the paint was sponged on.

Aaand here's what our monk ended up looking like!

I decided to wrap it up with a quick representation of shaolin monk beads.

Here's what it looks like hanging. I also put the characters for shaolin (or so I think, at least,) up in the corner to add some visual balance.

Hooray! I hope you enjoyed seeing my first foray into freezer paper stenciling, I'm sure it won't be my last. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009 11:44:34 PM by JediLynne » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nostrum
Australian made and owned.

Don't dream it, be it.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009 02:18:50 AM »

Very cool, and very lucky!

Where did you find the source image? I'd love to get my hands on a bunch of the different forms and put together something for my mister.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep smiling - It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Looking for Australian personal swaps! [For now. I'll branch overseas when I can afford it!]
razzledazzelOConnel
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009 05:50:29 AM »

Wow, that's awesome!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skaborsk

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009 08:08:33 AM »

wow. i'm impressed! that is a pretty ballsy project for your first time, AND it came out great. nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
xperimentl
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009 08:28:59 AM »

What an awesome image, I really like it.  I am impressed that you went for it and did something big.  My son's curtains may not be boring for much longer.  Thanks for the idea!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
UnstableKitten
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009 11:22:50 AM »

This is excellent! Although I'm wondering how it worked when it got so big? As in holding the two pages together and stenciling it. I'd also love to know where you got the stencil, I'm sure the boyfriend would like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nostrum
Australian made and owned.

Don't dream it, be it.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009 09:45:44 PM »

I've been scouring Google images with every combination of keywords, and haven't found anything as cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep smiling - It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Looking for Australian personal swaps! [For now. I'll branch overseas when I can afford it!]
JediLynne
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009 10:42:55 AM »

Hi! The source image I used is this one. http://www.shaolin-wushu.de/media/kungfu05.jpg I had to make up some of it, since some midtones disappeared in photoshop. If you want clear pics of kung fu forms, I would pick up a copy of kung fu magazine and xerox some pages. I think they always have at least one new form per issue. Maybe a library would have it?

Regarding how I stenciled it so big; I used one sheet for the bulk of the image, and just taped another small section to the top. Yeeah...a lot of tape and a lot of patience. I don't think there was any good trick to it.

Thank you for the comments, I'm really proud of how it turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Screenwriting Card Trick
How to Have Good Audition Etiquette
Final Cut Transitions in Final Cut Pro Tutorial
Above and Below the Line Budgeting
Pulling Focus in Filmmaking
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...