A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue Diaper Cake For a Baby Boy  (Read 7865 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper_cake , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

exousia
« on: October 05, 2009 10:16:32 AM »

Okay, SO I had a blast making a diaper cake. It still needs a little tweaking, like evening out the ribbon etc. But here it is.  It's for my friend Rachel's baby who is due to be born on October 25th - 3 days before my birthday.  He is extra special to me because Jason and Adam (the daddies) are such great buddies, I have a feeling Evan (my son) and Edward (boy to be born!) will be such great buddies too.

How to make a diaper cake!

What you will need: 
Small and large light coloured elasticbands
A box of diapers (preferably around a size 2 so that mom can enjoy the diaper cake for a little while before having to dismantle it)
Ribbons to cover up unsightly rubber bands
Lots of gifts and toys and accessories for baby and to decorate your cake with!
Such as: Bath toys, socks, mittens, hats, spoons, teether, toys, washcloths, stuffed toys, bottlebrush...
1 Dowel
Round baking pan, or cake stand, or cardboard cut in a circular shape!

First you want the pattern of the diaper to be on the inside so face it this way in front of yourself.  P.S Excuse my gross dry hands.

Roll the diaper up tightly, pattern facing inside.  P.S Someone suggested wrapping up little bottles of booze inside the diapers for the mom!  Really depends on them mom but you can always wrap up little gifts for mom too.  Doesn't have to be booze, maybe if around Christmas time you can wrap inside there individually wrapped chocolates, or even a bottle of hand cream or something, or a new lipstick for mom!  Won't she be suprised opening a diaper for a poopy bum and getting a sweet lipstick out of the deal!?

Slip the rubber band over and make sure it's as centered as you can get it. This will come in handy later when you're trying to hide all the bands under your ribbon.  You use rubber bands so that the diapers can all be used later and so that they do not get destroyed by glue.

To make a tier for the cake (this one is a 3 tiered cake) have one diaper in the center and 7 around it.  Use a larger but tight elastic band around all of them to hold them together.

The rest of the cake you just have to extrapolate.  In the middle tier you'll have 1 diaper in the center, 7 around it, and then 12 around the 7. So 20 all together in the second tier.  In the 3rd tier you make it even larger.  Make a duplicate of the second tier but add even more diapers around the 20 this time to make a large base. 

Decoration. I used ribbon to carefully cover all my elastic bands. I stuffed in the toys and things all around the cake too.  You can use a piece of dowel to go down through the center of the cake to hold all the tiers together. Or you can do like I did with this particular cake. I bought a bottle brush and used it down the middle of the cake to hold it all together. Hiding things INSIDE the cake is a nice suprise too.

Here is your finished product.  Still needs a little tweaking with the ribbon. I always like to go a bit overboard!!!  Also to make it easier to carry you can get a round aluminum covered cake board to put under the cake.  I believe they carry them at cake stores and at Michaels. But if you're on a budget you could probably make your own out of foam core or cardboard.

Little plastic babies! For mommy not baby!  The measuring tape is so that mommy can measure how long her child grows <3

Most of the things I took out of the packaging but for things that are going into babies mouth I tried to leave them wrapped for sanitary reasons.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia
owner of exousia jewelry and crafts

shop my jewerly at http://www.exousia.etsy.com
PIXY
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009 10:32:57 AM »

So cute, I love all the ribbons & bows, it adds so much character.  I made a diaper cake for my aunt for her daughter, it was fun and easy to make and everyone loved it.  The best part is the decorating Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JonathansWife

me and my amazing fiance<3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009 02:31:26 PM »

ohhh you did an amazing job. its so adorable =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber and Jonathan (9*19*08)
<3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
R. Kayeen Thomas Performs a Rap Song from the Novel Antebellum
R. Kayeen Thomas Reveals His Novel Antebellum
David Gelernter on Mirror Worlds: Space, Time, and the Internet
Actor John Challis Recounts Being Boycie at Althorp Literary Festival
John Lanchester Talks About His Novel "Capital" at Althorp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...