A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
788 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paraplegic sewing machine?  (Read 4322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Adore Horror

If you want something done right, you gotta DIY

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009 12:57:31 AM »

Everyone's been so helpful  Smiley

I would have to save up for a little while for something like that. Dropdeadred, do you know the model number so I could check it out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's hard to remember, it's hard to remember
We're alive for the first time
It's hard to remember were alive for the last time
To live before you die
dropdeadred77
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009 10:05:01 AM »

I don't remember off the top of my head, but it was a 'top of the line' that Joann's were just now putting on sale. Maybe a call to one of their sewing galleries would be fruitful? I'm gonna guess it was the Designer Diamond - but maybe less expensive machines also have those functions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009 10:59:59 AM »

Oh I used to have a Brother 6000i.. It was a cool little machine for lightweight jobs. I was too afraid I'd break it if I tried to sew through layers for my handbags though. I typically like to stick to my older "metal" machines for the heavy stuff. I eventually sold it because I couldn't ever get the button hole functions to work properly. I have a new viking now.

Hmm, maybe you could rig up something using a "knee" switch from an old machine so that you could control the stop and start with pressure from your upper body or arm/elbow etc. It might involve some creative thought but I definitely see it as a doable possibility. Might be work checking out 80)

Best of luck to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carillia
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009 07:48:41 AM »

I don't remember off the top of my head, but it was a 'top of the line' that Joann's were just now putting on sale. Maybe a call to one of their sewing galleries would be fruitful? I'm gonna guess it was the Designer Diamond - but maybe less expensive machines also have those functions?

Most of the computerized Vikings can do it. My Platinum 770 does, and I'm pretty sure all the others in that line does too. The Sapphires and the Topazes too. The only one that doesn't is the Emeralt 183.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flutter-by
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009 12:09:16 PM »

My baby lock xscape can sew without the foot pedal, with a start/stop button and speed setting on the machine.  I sew with the buttons more than I use the pedal now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stakie
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009 02:29:32 AM »

Anything above teh grace [maybe lower] Can sew without even attaching a foot pedal. And, to be honest I have used a few of their machines and am planning on getting one or two myself.

If you want a GREAT machine that will last, I suggest getting a babylock. If you will be doing more then utility but just sewing, the grace has more then enough stitches and worth while features. Did I add they last a really long time? Unlike some other sewing machines, these have metal gears in them so they aren't one to break like that.

Here if you need to know more about it.. here is a VERY informational video on the grace by babylock. It's what persuaded me in getting one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHElRg1jpHw
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adore Horror

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009 02:35:29 PM »

Thanks for the info Stakie, I want a babyloc something fierce. I still haven't made a purchase yet. Who knew it'd be this hard? There's way more choices than I had anticipated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To live before you die
fochaux
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010 01:42:25 PM »

the brother innovis machines that are sold at sewing machine shops can operate by pedal or a button control.  they are the ones they use on project runway.  i think they run from like $400-1000 giver or take a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
Adore Horror

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010 09:16:00 AM »

*Update*

Thanks so much for all the information everyone. Just thought I'd let anyone who might've been curious know that I ended up going with the brother6000i as my first machine.

1) It was less than $200, which is really cheap for what you get. I figured since I'm teaching myself, I rather bust a $170 machine than a thousand dollar one.

2) It has a start/stop button & a speed control lever right on the front, forget the pedal. Score.

3) It does 50+ stitches & a rack of buttonholes. More than I know what to do with really.

Overall, great beginner machine. Mine'll truck on through 6 layers of fleece & some batting with little complaint (There are definitely better ways to do that.. hah, oops). Depending on it's mood it'll do some thicker stuff but I don't want to hurt it as its been so nice to me so far.

One day I'll lay down the $ for a more advanced machine but this is all I'll need for a little while.

Thanks again everyone! When I'm in the market for another one I'm printing your suggestions and going on a hunt for the best. Like I said though, so far so good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To live before you die
fochaux
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010 08:22:35 AM »

awesome!  let us know how it goes!  I can't wait to see some of your finished projects Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Volume With a Haircut
The Best Haircut for Square Shaped Faces
The Best Haircut for Rounder Faces
How to Get the Right Bangs for Your Face Shape
VF NEWS: Jenny Packham Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...