A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mario quilt for the bf! (FINALLY FINISHED!) **NOW WITH TUT!  (Read 21432 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , mario , video_game , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mell0phone
« on: October 04, 2009 12:00:30 PM »

Hey Everyone!  Sorry it took me forever (like a year) to get my tutorial photos together and up here.  Had a lot going on...  Anyway, hope this helps everyone!  (tut at bottom)

So, I was incredibly inspired by iddosteveperry's mario quilt that was posted awhile ago (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=220857.0) and I had to try it for myself.  I started making the characters about a month ago and just finished last night (my boyfriend received it today Cheesy)  Needless to say he is extremely happy with his gift.  It was a ton of work, but I'm so pleased with it.  

I made each character out of 1" squares and trimmed the outer edges.  Then they were attached to the blue blocks using iron-on and stitch applique.  Finished with satin binding.  The back is blocks like the front, except their navy blue..somehow I never got a pic of the back

This is me and the boy holding up his gift.  I love how the light blue resembles the sky in mario!

^^ I love that last photo bc thats when it finally dawned on him what I made and he was utterly in shock. Its the first time I had a gift for him that he had NO idea what it would be!

I'm so pleased with this project, but i'm also so glad its finished!  I was really sad to see it go tho...I almost wouldn't let him take it with him!  I have some more in progress/a mini tut on how I did it if anyone's interested.  Thanks so much for looking!!!

~~~Tut~~~

First, I created patterns to follow by finding images of the original characters online and blowing them up large enough to count the pixels.  To make them easier for me to see, I created a document in Excel with equally sized blocks that I changed their colors to create the characters.  After that, I was able to print them all and generally make an estimate of how much fabric to buy of each color (I went to Walmart and bought cheap solids and some remnants to get the colors I wanted).  Then, I cut the fabric into 1.5" by 1.5" squares (very annoying and time consuming...it made me a rotary cutter master)  If your careful, you can cut a few layers at a time..

I essentially worked on the characters from the top down, working on two rows at a time.  Its a little hard to explain,  but I sewed two blocks together (the top row block to the second row block, and then working to the right)  I tried to keep a steady flow of stitching, and sewed multiple blocks in one shot, and cut the thread to separate them after stitching a whole rows worth.  Then I pressed them flat (trying to keep pressing to the dark side, since the lighter fabrics allowed the darker colors to show through)

Next I sewed the two block parts together into small four-patches

The hardest part for this was trying to keep track of the pattern and where everything was going to ultimately end up.  There is probably an easier way to organize the pieces, but this is how I ended up doing it.  

Next, I attached the four patches together to form a strip of the two rows that are being worked on.

**don't forget to keep pressing the seams flat while you work!  It makes things go together so much nicer!

I repeated these steps to create 2 row segments, and attached them to one another carefully (lots and lots of pinning to keep everything straight!)

Also, since the outer blocks ended up having an extra 0.5" I just carefully used my rotary cutter to trim them

After completing each character, I cut large blocks of the sky blue, and used iron on applique to attach the characters and keep them in place until I could stitch around the outside of all of them. The binding was ready made satin binding (which I will never ever ever work with again.  It was SUCH a pain!

Heres some extra photos to show you how the back ended up looking, and also some of the characters as they were being completed.  I hope this helps everyone! I apologize again for taking so darn long...

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011 01:30:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
VeggieJess
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009 12:23:49 PM »

awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change!

My Lov.li
http://lov.li/users/4607
CAMPERTRONNN
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009 12:35:02 PM »

GREAT JOB!!! Definately interested in mini lesson Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scraparcs
Reads both ways

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009 01:36:37 PM »

Very neat!  Glad he likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gaze into my pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/saguarosally/
sorcivamp
My Crap

A Crafty Vamp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009 01:41:54 PM »

That's awesome!! Great job.  Boo is my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mell0phone
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009 01:42:33 PM »

Boo is my favorite too ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nureintier
Pobody's Nerfect

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009 01:46:24 PM »

Awesome.  Smiley If I weren't so lazy I'd try a mario quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bliss2187
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009 02:04:39 PM »

That's fantastic!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vwbuggirlie
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009 10:06:55 PM »

Awesome! You did a fantastic job!  Smiley I hope he understands how much work & love went into this. I am making something similar for my husband's birthday (which was in August) but got nowhere near finishing for his actual birthday. I told him he might get it by the time he turns 30 (he's 28 now) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
ohiodiygirl
"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009 11:59:56 AM »

nice work, it turned out really good! Well just think it won't be gone too long, someday when you move in together it will come back, hehe. You should definitely post in progress pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beyoncé: Behind the Scenes
When Fashion Attacks: Doutzen Kroes
The Shape of the Season for Fall 2012
Behind-the-Scenes with Tommy Ton: Chic in the Street
All Eyes on Penelope Cruz
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...