A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly dress into a fab handbag!  (Read 1396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moomin Bus Rider
« on: October 04, 2009 08:08:07 AM »

Last month I realised that I needed a new handbag, something a bit more glamorous than the bag I use every day.

After searching every shop in town for a bag, I decided to give up and have a look at some clothes. I couldn't really find any clothes I liked either and decided that this was just a bad day for shopping.

Then I saw a dress. It was ugly. It was short and strapless, had a big bow at the front, and the material was a kind of weird silver and black houndstooth type thing.

But I didn't see an ugly dress. I saw a bag.

The dress cost just £5 in the sale, and after trying it on at home (just in case it looked good on me, and it didn't), I started planning the transformation. As I don't have a sewing machine, I wanted to do as little sewing as possible, so I decided that the big zip at the back of the dress was going to be the main zip for the bag, and that the lining of the dress was going to be the lining of the bag. I decided to leave the pleats where they were, and to just use the back of the dress. The straps were made of the hem of the dress.

And here's what it looks like now with a couple of handmade brooches:

This is what the dress looked like when I bought it:

And from the back:

It's easier to see what I've done if you look at it from this angle, I've folded the dress from the zip at the back, and then cut the excess material (including the bow) at the front:

I put in two pockets inside, a small one for my keys inside the larger one with the red zip:

My friends couldn't believe it when I said my bag used to be a dress, and apparently even the boys were discussing the bag whilst watching football! They said it was during half time though...

I've already bought another dress that is in the process of being made into a bag.... Watch this space! Wink

Thanks for reading,
Hanna
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009 01:48:26 AM by Moomin Bus Rider » THIS ROCKS   Logged
golfergirl
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009 07:24:01 PM »

Very cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorizathm
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009 06:43:47 PM »

That is amazing! I think it definitely looks glamorous. Awesome work turning that hideous dress into something stunning.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Pablo Picasso
Moomin Bus Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009 01:42:41 AM »

Thanks for your comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juaniece
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009 05:09:25 AM »

How ingenius! What a great way to repurpose some of those dresses that don't fit anymore!
Enjoy the cool bag!
Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Gold and Silver Jewelry
How to Make Wire Wrapped Pendants
How to Sell Handmade Jewelry
Homemade Jewelry Gift Ideas
Getting Started Making Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...