A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I iron on white letters onto a black shirt?  (Read 15291 times)
Tags for this thread: iron_on_letters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erikamatt29
« on: October 03, 2009 08:52:20 PM »

I bought iron on transfer printer paper onto dark colors, because I want to make a black t-shirt with a phrase of white letters printed from my computer. Someone told me to go to word pick a font and make it outline and then print and cut out but its a big phrase and I don't want it to look sloppy. Also would the letters come out white or glossy/see through like the transfer paper? I also see on the cove of the transfer paper I bought an idea of white letters but I can't find a font on my computer like that. If anyone has done this before please help! I can't post any pictures on here so here's a link to what I would want my shirt to look like.http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/erikamatt29/crafster/mini-TKB1155.jpg and heres the iron transfer paper I bought which has a sample of a black shirt with white font and a green outline which I wound't mind but I can't find a font and I would rather have it look like the first picture.http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii227/erikamatt29/crafster/FXTD-3.gif

Thanks, Erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009 04:11:30 AM »

Get a font that's outlined, like the ones here:
http://www.1001freefonts.com/outline-fonts.php

Then edit it to taste and change the colour.  You only need to use Word or Paint, no need to use any other programme.  If the t-shirt is black, make the background black.  Print and cut:  you can cut letter by letter, in which case it doesn't matter what colour the bacground of the page was.  Or just cut the whole sentence as a whole leaving a margin of a few (black background) millimeters and use it as one piece -just make sure when editing it has the looks you wanted.  And remember to print it in reverse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009 08:37:32 AM »

Do you reverse the print when doing it on a dark shirt? I don't really have any experience with this, but I thought for darks it was meant to be applied face up as it were. Of course, again I don't know, just check the direction on you package.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
soorawn
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009 09:22:27 AM »

the colour of the garment has nothing to do with the design.  The design is printed to become a sort of decal, and the actual image as it is to be seen is not on top of the printed transfer paper, but between the transfer film and the support paper.  You see the other side, the one that is going to be in contact with the fabric.  Therefore, if you print it as it is, you'll get a mirror image once transferred on to the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Antwone Fisher Talks About A Boy Should Know How to Tie a Tie
Jimmy Gownley Reveals His Favorite Books
Terra Elan McVoy Talks About After the Kiss
Robert Ferrigno Reveals Who He Admires Most
A.J. Jacobs Reveals What Readers Think About Him
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...