A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how on earth do i make this amazing bag?  (Read 1602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blackstar
marathon sleeper

ha...my sunglasses are bigger than yours!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2005 02:49:08 PM »

usually i go on ae.com and laugh at the fact that i can make all their clothes...but today I saw this bag and i'm so in love with it!

anyone know how to make it?

http://www.ae.com/AE_ProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Gender=Womens&Section_Id=546&Product_Id=11454161&CatalogFlag=FloorSet&Section_Title=BagsandBelts&FromPage=Feature&ColorString=0427_7234_688
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*wise men follow their own direction*~
jezebel7383
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005 02:54:38 PM »

I would think you could macrame the outside and then line it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shotgun_Bettie

Yup I'm Back..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005 03:02:14 PM »

It's macrame weaved using about 40 different strands of Jute, and it would probably make you mental trying to do it. You'd have to start them all out on a loom or a long piece of dowl. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting O.C.D at it's finest...
blackstar
marathon sleeper

ha...my sunglasses are bigger than yours!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005 09:00:39 PM »

*sigh*

i guess american eagle gets the last laugh...as i don't know anything about macrame, jute, dowls or looms...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*wise men follow their own direction*~
NVA
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005 09:22:42 PM »

Maybe you could make a knock off buy creating a pattern much like that one on some tan colored fabric, cutting out certian areas and lining it with pink fabric so the pink lining shows through the holes. The straps look like just some ribbon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005 07:35:30 AM »

The main part of the pattern is a pretty simple basic macrame technique that you could learn easily.  The bigger knot patterns at the top might be trickier.  But the fact is that it would take you FOREVER.  $24.50 is more than I usually spend on a bag, but it's worth that, probably, for the work that would go into copying it, especially considering you'd also have to assemble it, make the lining, sew the zipper, etc.

You could maybe do a similar macrame bag with a bigger pattern and without the pretty intricate knots, but I think it would still take a fair amount of time.  I remember only the very basic macrame, from my 1970s childhood  Wink  It's not difficult, just a bit time-consuming.  I don't think you'd need a special loom or anything, you just need something to attach the jute to, like in the "olden days", you'd attach your jute/whatever directly to a pair of wooden handles.  This one looks like it might be attached to a looped piece of semi-small rope, like clothesline.  I'm not sure how they did the sides and bottom...

Seriously, I think it would be easier to just buy it.  The good news is that in trying to find a free macrame purse pattern online just now, I found that you can find vintage ones from the 70s for sale all over the web, and the most expensive one I saw was $15.  They're not exactly the same, but you may find another one you like.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
melsing32
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005 10:13:29 AM »

perhaps you could use crochet placemats.  i know that it wouldn't be as strong as the straw or macramae but you could get a similar look and say you made it yourself.  just the other day i saw some crochet placemats in michaels.  you could attach/sew the placemats to some pretty material that was solid in color.  in joann's they have the "belt material" for the strap.  they could have those at michaels too.   Wink

let us know what ya do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catana
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005 01:57:20 PM »

Oh my. I have an old crocheted skirt that someone gave me. I've been trying to figure out what to do with it and now I know. Sorry it doesn't help you, but thanks for the lead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005 09:01:47 AM »

It would be pretty easy to make a similar bag by crocheting jute or hemp (if you happen to crochet...) and then just adding a lining, strap, etc. I don't know if that helps...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
Carly Caron

Hey this is my goat Millie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005 09:09:43 AM »

Oh my. I have an old crocheted skirt that someone gave me. I've been trying to figure out what to do with it and now I know. Sorry it doesn't help you, but thanks for the lead.

Can you post a picture when youre done?!? I'm interested in seeing how it comes out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If the world didn't suck a little bit, then we'd all fall off...

http://www.kurlie77.etsy.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Film a Teaser Film
Production Begins (PART 1)
Production: How to Make some Zombie Action
Production: How to Shoot Indoor Scenes
Writing the Script
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...