A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,435
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing with Dharma Trading Prolcyon Dyes - help  (Read 1166 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 17, 2005 02:37:21 PM »

Hello, I can't use koolaid like you kool folks because I'm dyeing cotton.  So I turned to playing with UREA and a bunch of other chems from Dharma Trading. 

When I add the thickener, it lumps RIDICULOUSLY.  Either in hot or cold water.  What's the proper technique here?

EDIT:  bigger problems.  I waited 6 hrs, then washed it with synthrapol, and almost all the dye has come off!  It took me HOURS all day, for a big mountain of what looks like yucky grayish yarn.  Perhaps I did not wait for it to be dry enough ("damp") before I covered it up and waited the 6 hrs?  Anybody out there ever used the prolcyon dye?  I'm so frustrated.  This is my second dyeing attempt and the previous time it's also mostly washed out, but I fig'd it was my lack of thickener and that this time all would go swimmingly.  I worked so hard!  Boo hoo hoo.  I did two batches, two colors, and alternated -- over about 20 big fat skeins.   I was like a little factory!  Now I'm a disgruntled factory worker.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005 12:09:10 AM by Piyolet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005 09:10:54 PM »

Procion dyes rock, but it sounds like you may have been missing pieces. I don't dye yarn, but cotton fabric -- we start with a soak in soda ash, then pour dye (1/4 tsp per 1c water, approx) over the fabric. Keep damp for 4-24 hours, and rinse.

No thickeners needed, and we don't use the urea, either. We've tested this many many times and get good results. Smiley

Check out the fibery goodness! http://crazymonkey.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...