A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sugar Skull Slippers (Now with Tutorial and lots of pictures!)  (Read 40630 times)
Tags for this thread: slippers , sugar_skull , featured_project , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2009 , alexander_henry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

papilionette
Chaotic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2009 10:49:06 AM »

My feet were cold. And I had a lot of scraps, including a little piece of the sugar skull fabric designed by Alexander Henry. I all ready let some of it go to waste after using it for another project that failed... Epically.

I already seen this model of slippers before and I could buy the pattern on line. But I was a little low on money, so I decided to tackle it myself. And here is the endresult!

Because my sister had a hole in her sock I thought that would be a perfect excuse to make another pair of slippers and make a tutorial of the process.

This is what you need:
- A piece of fleece (i used an old fleece scarf)
- A piece of whatever kind of fabric you want to go on the outside. (this time I used a skull and roses Alexander Henry fabric
- A piece of canvas or another sturdy kind of fabric
- A piece of very ugly fabric or where you have to many fabric of for the patternpieces
- Scissors
- Pins (not on the picture)
- Chalk
- And a hmm.. thingie to correct wrongfully placed stitches.

Get your victim, whether it's to make slippers for them or help you make your own. You can do it on your own, it's just a little easier with a pair of extra hands in the beginning. See the hole in the sock?

Take out some of the pattern fabric and and trace around the foot, adding a centimeter or two around the foot and let your victim cut it out. (Yes, my model could use a pedicure Tongue)

Take another piece of the pattern fabric and wrap that around the outerside of your victim's foot. Make sure that you start at the heel and work your way to the toes. Make sure that the fabric covers at least 3 toes.

Trace the bottom with your chalk and cut it out.

Place it back on the victims foot, so you can determine the hole for your foot. My English doesn't seem to cut it, so please look at the next picture to see what I mean.

And cut it out.

Do the same for the innerside of your foot. Go from the heel to your big toe and cover at least 3 toes and determine the hole for your foot.

Now you have two overlapping patterns. Make sure that at the heel the centerline goes straight up and connects at both patterns.

Now you should have 3 patternpieces, like this. I marked them.

It doesn't really matter in what order you cut out the different kinds of fabric, but I'm starting with the fleece. Fold it over, so you have two layers of fabric on top of eachother and pin all the patternpieces on top of the fleece. (Note; you need to cut out the sole twice, so you will have four fleece soles. Keep that in mind as you lay out the patternpieces.) And cut them out with seam allowance. Then pin the solepattern back on the leftover fleece and cut it out.

Take your sturdy fabric and fold that also double, in the same way as the fleece. Pin on your sole pattern. (Just that one) And cut it out.  As I was making this tutorial, I found out that its comes out handy if you drew the outline of your sole pattern on the sturdy fabric, so you will know where to pin the rest of your slipper. I found out while pinning, so here's a pointer. You don't need that sole pattern anymore after that.

Now take your pretty fabric which will be the outer side of your slippers. Fold it over in the same fashion as the fleece and the sturdy fabric and pin on your leftover patternpieces. Make sure that bot of the pattern pieces are layed down with soleside down. So that if you have a pattern, it will not be upside down. Cut them out.

Now you should have the same patternpieces as I have on the picture above.

Pin everythin together in the right place. For the sole you should take 2 layers of fleece and 1 layer of the sturdy fabric and pin it together. Make sure that you have a left and a right foot. Take the pretty fabric and take a innerside piece and a outerside piece and pin them right sides together at the heel. Do the same for the fleece part.

Sew.

And this is where you will end up with. 2 soles and 4 footwrappers Tongue 2 of the pretty fabric and two of the fleece.

Now take a pretty footwrapper and a fleece and pin it right sides together at the heel. Make sure that it's centered and that you don't pin soleside. You pin on the upperside of the patternpieces. (I hope that makes any sense.) And then pin the rest. Do the same for the other footwrappers.

And sew.

After you've sewn it, fold it over and pin again, so you can topstitch it for a clean look.

After topstitching, you can pin the sole sides and sew them or baste them to make the sewing later on easier.

Like so.

Drag you victim back and fit the footwrapper on your foot again. make sure which flap you want to go over which flap and pin it at the crossing. I thought it would make it easier to fit them inside out for some mysterious reason and ended up pinning them on the sole the other way around. So now my outer flap was covering the innerflap. You can judge for yourself which one you like more, but if you like the Sugar Skulls better, then the pictures are wrong.

Pin the footwrapper on the sole and sew. You can use a zigzag or lock to reinforce the connection between sole and footwrapper.

We're almost done. Let your victim or yourself fit the slipper again. Make sure it's comfortable and then add ribbons or elastic to finish your slippers. Or embellish them in which way you want them embellished.

And done. You may pat yourself on the back for all your hard work and the fact you deciphered this mysterious code which call itself tutorial.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009 01:32:29 AM by papilionette » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing-green
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009 11:12:32 AM »

These are adorable! I love the hearts that anchor your elastic. So you made your own pattern? What did you line them with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reuse, Recycle, Refashion!

http://www.refashionology.com
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009 12:01:42 PM »

Sooo cute!!! You made your pattern? If so, a tute would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ollieorange
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009 03:26:53 PM »

Very cool! I would have no idea where to even start making these from scratch! I like the fabric too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009 11:57:57 PM »

This rocks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
papilionette
Chaotic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009 02:28:53 PM »

Sewing green, I lined them with red fleece.

And Zombie_Queen, here is the tute for you.

And thanks everyone for the nice compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoreLove
MOM/photographer/wife/sister/daughter/CRAFTER!

Crafting to keep Sane.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009 11:11:48 PM »

these are awesome!  i just might have to make a pair like RIGHT NOW!  XD 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's the Quiet ones you have to watch out for.  They truly know what is going on.

see my  etsy!  http://www.hookedandtangled.etsy.com
jigarkhwar
Jig

Sometimes we bite back

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009 07:39:10 PM »

Another amazing project!   I really like the tutorial! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
http://www.wists.com/jigarkhwar
my livejournal blog
http://jigarkhwar.livejournal.com

I will do personal swaps.
Looking for southern illinoisians for a craft together or just have a bimonthly social; gohere>http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=311868.0
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009 08:12:53 AM »

I think I'm going to try this one ! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009 11:40:43 AM »

I think I'm going to make these right now!  If it works out I will post pics here for ya.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Robert Englund Reveals The Question He Gets Most from Fans
Nic Sheff Talks About Tweak
Suzy Welch Reveals Her Motto
An Interview with Jennifer Weiner
Erick Setiawan Talks About Of Bees and Mist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...