A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Say No to (scary) drugs x-stitch  (Read 5174 times)
Tags for this thread: cross_stitch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mandybles

I <3 my pooch.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009 01:51:26 PM »

Great job! I really like this project!

It's a good reminder to people to be mindful of what we put in our bodies. Abilify has helped a lot of people, and it's definitely something to take if you need it (and I would even venture to say that when a doc prescribes it to someone, it's most likely necessary). It's important to think about these things though, considering we're one of the few countries that can advertise prescription drugs, and the amount of unnecessary things prescribed here (especially antibiotics!) is staggering.

Good on you on finding another doctor too. I've learned (coming from a family with a smorgasbord of health issues Tongue) the most important thing about being a patient is being your own advocate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009 05:11:38 PM »

Love this! Glad to hear you are getting a new doctor too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harledoescrafts
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009 08:11:57 PM »

LOVE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back....with a vengeance!
Le Mieux
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009 01:29:09 AM »

i too am a fan of strange side affects - my favourite is the pill they give the navy for seasickness. with the most common side afffect being nausea.

just to add to the doctor debate - im from the UK and was prescribed so many drugs so often when i was a kid (i had bad issues with tonsillitis, throat, nose, you name it i had it) by the time i was 12 my body stopped responding to them. i went through a year of detoxing the homeopathic way before i was normal again. since then im careful about what i put in my body.

but - i agree with stronger meds that they are necessary. tho when i was put on prozac i was told a side affect could be increased suicidal feelings. which is totally reassuring when its clinical depression you're trying to cure  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
insane_aktor
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009 05:13:05 AM »

wow. . .death as a SYMPTOM??? ummm, I'm not saying I'm an expert but I think that's a final kind of thing, haven't found a cure for DEATH...

amazing project!  well done.  It might be wonky because the embroidery fabric is a woven and the needle pulled some of the strands? I know I've had that happen to me a few times.  Unfortunately those times they were gifts so I had to pull out the stitches and try to get it to lay flat. . . Undecided

I like that font you used, I have something similar in a stitch book I got a while back...i'll have to find that again and use that font for something...I've started a few times but never got really far...rambling sorry...good job, nice subject!  I've had the same kind of deal with a doctor prescribing and trying out three or four different kinds of medication at one time for one problem.  Finally found a doctor ready to listen to me.  good on you for advocating for yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish i was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
Cause how could you be grumpy
When the sun shines out your bum!

http://wists.com/insane_aktor
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009 07:45:31 AM »

Hi wonderful Craftsters!
Please make sure you stay on topic of the actual craft. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Batzilla
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009 10:48:53 AM »

I love this - and yeah, the side effects reading, yeek, I have the same reaction! I love that you took an annoyance and made it into art like that. (I know we're all being mom with advice, but I bet it's because SO many of us nodded and said "oh ugh, that LONG list of side effects, because those warnings are LONG and freaky. Seriously, good docs generally are cool with you saying "just suggest an over the counter" if it's just a cold - the only reason some of us worry about you not filling stuff is that if there are problems later there's no one who'll know what you actually took, and your medical history on paper will be inaccurate. End my mother hen moment!)

Seriously, this is the kind of craft that is making me start trying embroidery. Skulls are inspirational like that! Smiley Did you free hand this or did you sketch out it before jumping in? And yes, the font rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Batty

Cuppa (bloggish thing), Flickr (photoish thing)
melissanorth
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009 11:08:32 AM »

I like! I haven't done cross stitch since I was 10 but that makes me want to do some now!
Yeah, death is a pretty strong side effect. When I was on prozac it said something like 'See your doctor urgently if you experience any of the following: xyz, blahblah, coma...' I found it highly amusing and stupid that they think someone could call a doctor if they were 'experiencing' a coma!

Did you sew the border on a machine? If so I agree with the idea that it just caught a bit of the background and pulled it out of shape. You could unpick it, or iron it flat to within an inch of it's life (I would do the second!).

PS. We don't have adverts for antipsychotics/antidepressants- I find it quite odd, as the need for them is not something you could self-diagnose after watching tv- unlike cold medicine or something like that.

I've got some beat-up charity shop picture frames I bought but haven't done anything with, I'm tempted to paint them all the same colour and cross stitch things in them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009 12:00:22 PM »

After I stitched the font, I just kind of started stitching the border..  yeah, no measurements or anything Wink  I knew I wanted little pills all the way around, I added the little hash symbol just so I wouldn't have to sew as much hehe.  After I rounded the corner at the top, I realized the border was going to be uneven, so I improvised a little..  if you notice, it's not quite even all the way around, but I made this for me, so it's ok..  my initials at the bottom got there because I didn't have room for another pill at the bottom left Cheesy

So to attach the back, I think I just got too lazy and didn't use enough pins..  it felt like the top was slipping as I went around, I'll try to just pin it more next time.  I'm also wondering if pulling the edges to fray it may have shifted the top fabric a little bit..  I have a continual problem finishing x-stitch bookmarks, I keep trying new systems!

Thanks for all the kind words everybody!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
weet!
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009 01:02:41 PM »

this is awesome! i like that you purposely made the shine on the pill off white to make sure it wasnt pretty lol. i never would have thought to make it into art but im really glad you did! its good to draw attention to things like this that people often overlook.

i definitely have the same feelings as you when it comes to doctors over prescribing drugs. my old doctor i had in high school was the same way. she was always upping the dose of my adderall (for ADD) every time she saw me, even though i said it was working fine, until it was up to 30mg (which is A LOT, and not pleasant to be on either). but she moved away and i had to get a new doctor and im sooo glad she did! my new doctor isnt so pill happy so i have my prescription down to a measly 5g and eventually im just going to stop taking it.  Smiley but what im really getting at is; not all doctors are like that, and it may be good to look into changing to a different one.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009 01:06:47 PM by weet! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Paper from Plant Fibers
How to Make Paper from Recycled Paper
How to Make Placemats Out Of Wooden Chopsticks
How to Make Seashell Crafts
How to Make Stilts Out Of Old Cans
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...