A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sailor Moon Halloween Costume  (Read 5503 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lemon Juice
« on: October 07, 2009 06:24:01 PM »

Hi!

I'd really like to be Sailor Venus from the Sailor Moon series from when I was little. I'm on a very tight budget though, so I can't buy a costume and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help me!

This is a couple of pictures (links) of her costume. I'd obviously make the skirt a lot longer Smiley.
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/img/s/SailorVenus.jpg
http://www.guardiansenshi.net/sm-venus.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/lunaticsiyou/sailorvenus5zn.jpg

Thanks!
Lindsey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009 06:26:29 PM »

I would start with  a white t-shirt and reconstruct it, adding in the skirt and the sailor collar to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009 01:37:44 PM »

A lot of people start with a white leotard for the top portion, but if you're on a tight budget, I would second the t-shirt idea. Maybe get one that is much too big for you so you can cut it smaller and use the extra material to make bands for the shoulders and waist. For those, I would sew tubes from the material and stuff with some batting.
The skirt is a pretty simple pleated skirt. Some people use satin but I'd use cotton, partially because it can be cheaper and easier to work with.
Directions for a sailor collar:
http://www.lynleigh.com/cosplay/sewingtutorials/collar_page_01.gif
http://www.lynleigh.com/cosplay/sewingtutorials/collar_page_02.gif
As for the bows, they are rectangles cinched in the middle. Much easier than real bows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lemon Juice
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009 10:31:06 PM »

I think that I might start with a white capped leotard; my mom said that she might be willing to help me out with the cash Smiley. My sewing skills should are less than perfect, does anyone have any suggestions one how to sew straight? I always seem to go all wonky :/.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009 07:34:23 AM »

The easiest way to get a straighter line as you sew is to use the edge of your presser foot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009 02:25:18 PM »

Sewing stretchy fabrics can be tricky. You need to make sure the presser foot of your machine is loosened so that it is applying very little pressure to the fabric (otherwise the fabric will be stretched too much). There's sometimes a screw, sometimes a dial, sometimes a slidey thing, and sometimes nothing at all to allow you to adjust it. With VERY delicate jerseys, I've actually had to shred newspaper into strips to put it between the fabric and the feed dogs to keep it from being stretched (but then you have to gently hand-stretch it as you sew). Also make sure you use a needle made for sewing stretchy stuff, called a ball-point needle, a "tricot" needle, a "knits" needle, etc (they can have a lot of names). Oh, and don't be afraid of pins. I usually have my pins two to three inches apart, closer to eachother on curves and farther apart on straight areas.

As for the actual costume, you can totally make a leotard out of a Hanes XL or XXL undershirt (I think they're 3 or 4 bucks for a 2 pack at Walmart), and just put velcro in the groin area to get in and out of it. For the skirt, I'd recommend using a jersey/knit fabric (either a repurposed tee or new fabric) instead of the shiny satin alot of people like to use. It will last longer, look better, is easier to sew, and it's always easier to attach 2 similar fabrics to eachother than 2 dis-similar fabrics.

I found a great site a long time ago on how to make the sailor scarf but I don't recall offhand what it was called and it might take a while for me to find it again. Basically, take a rectangle of your orange fabric (I'd use doubled cotton broadcloth cuz it's cheap and easy) that is as long as the measurement from where the bow will be to where the scarf will end behind your shoulders (get someone else to measure you). The width will be about the width of your shoulder blades (plus all the seam allowances of course), and also measure from the bow around the curve of the neckline to your spine. You need two rectangles if you're doubling the fabric, so lay them on top of eachother, fold in half lengthwise, and cut a rounded shape from the bottom corner of the open side on an angle into a curve that ends along the folded edge. Eek, I hope that makes sense. Anyways, the length of that curve should match the bow-to-spine measurement. It'll look weird when you unfold it, but it works when you actually put it on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

embercostumer
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009 07:27:00 PM »

I have a basic explanation of my Sailor Jupiter Costume here
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=310279.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Diane Von Furstenberg Designs First Archive Collection
Samii’s Beach Fashion Haul
Style Council Nataliee’s Summer Beach Haul!
Under $20 Spring/Summer Finds
Style Council Ellie’s Top Beach Picks!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...