A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: historical term for item, or ideas for construction  (Read 1071 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DestinyA
« on: September 24, 2009 11:18:04 AM »

I have started to design and put together my halloween costume, which I am loosely terming "neo victorian". I'm borrowing from several fashion timelines so there is no real historical period to reference directly.

I'm doing fine on the gown and such, but I have no idea what the tall stiff pleated collar that I've designed for the shrug is called, so I'm not able to find anything online about how to start construction. Does anyone know what it's called? If not, how would you go about making it stand up? I plan to use a very stiff interfacing, but I'm wondering if that will be enough, or if it will just flop over. Should I perhaps use a wire armature? Thanks for any advice. I love looking at photos of the period costume construction so many of you have done.

Sorry for the bad photo quality; I took pictures of my sketchbook with my phone.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Nothing strikes me as truly weird, there's only stuff I haven't figured out yet." -Charles de Lint

www.LuxeNoirCreatio ns.com
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009 11:34:58 AM »

I don't know what the term is either.  You could try stiff interfaceing, but I'm wondering if it were to develope any creases if that would kill the stand up on it, kwim.  You might want to consider some lightweight boning to help stabalize it, maybe in 3-4 places around the collar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009 12:05:36 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=319658.0

This thread should help you.  Read it all through, there is a tute at the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
DestinyA
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009 01:39:28 PM »

Thank you! I also found some more information. I discovered that some kinds of Elizabethan Ruffs are similar to what I want, and I think combining the tute you linked to and the following one I can make what I have pictured:

http://www.farthingales.on.ca/elizabethan_wired_ruff.html

I also found that if you search for Elizabethan collar rather than ruff, you get a boatload of links about the collars used for animals after surgery. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Nothing strikes me as truly weird, there's only stuff I haven't figured out yet." -Charles de Lint

soorawn
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009 01:46:03 PM »

I also found that if you search for Elizabethan collar rather than ruff, you get a boatload of links about the collars used for animals after surgery. Tongue

XDDDDD Poor little things!  Those collars work very well for their protection, but apart from the discomfort they find it humiliating that some stupid people choose to pick on them for wearing those.  Still, it's great for stopping them from scratching and making it worse -or sometimes the reverse, to stop them from biting in a certain place to scratch themselves.

Now... if you find a well sized collar of that type (think bob-tail) and cut it to the desired shape and then line it with batting and the desired fabric... wouldn't they make nice upstanding collars and other interesting items?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009 02:07:10 PM »

More ruff stuff:  http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_ruffs.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DestinyA
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009 01:26:24 PM »

Thanks all for your suggestions! I really appreciate it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Sewing Basics
Valuing a Sports Card Collection
How to Make Duct Tape Folders
Framed Silhouettes for Someone Special
How to Make a Pinata
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...