A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need to find a new fabric store..  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ElizabethFaye
« on: October 01, 2009 08:24:39 PM »

There is a Jo-Ann's down the road I go to. I am in no way I great sewer in fact I can't sew a straight line to save my life and don't get me started on my cutting/measuring because its just embarrassing but I do try to get the machine out and use it, im much better by hand but it takes time... back to my story.

I go to this Jo-Ann's with my boyfriend.. who i wanted to kick after he ran off to the candy aisle as soon as we walked in, then dragging me to the candy aisle to show me.. an 18 year old guy. I was looking for terry cloth and microfiber. I find the terry cloth eventually, i walked around dazzed trying to navigate my way threw the awfully organized racks, giving up i walk to the counter were you get the fabric cut. I ask the girl if they had microfiber, in a rude tone she says you mean MICROSUEDE i said no mam i believe its microfiber. She then replies that she doesn't know what that is.... i wait thinking surely she is not just dropping it that way. Well turns out she was. I get my other fabric then go to check out and ask the woman there if she knew were i could find it and she said they sold it at one time but don't anymore and to check only, Finally someone helpful. This is not the first time, I once asked help to find paper to make a pattern with, the kind used when you buy a pattern there.. the lady looked at me like i had lost my mind or grown an extra arm and just said i don't know look on that aisle.. the one i had just walked from that was to our right.

I need to find a new fabric store, I was frustrated by this. It seems like they hire the rudest and most unhelpful people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BT
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009 07:07:55 AM »

While there is no excuse for rudeness, it is helpful if you know what you are looking for before going into the store. Microfiber is any fabric made up of a synthetic fiber of a thickness of less than one denier. Microsuede is a type of microfiber fabric.

Stores do not generally sell pattern paper. However, you can get tissue paper in the craft or gift wrap section of almost any store.

Any time you encounter rude employees, you should contact the manager.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009 08:22:41 AM »

I agree with BT, next time you encounter rudeness talk to a supervisor or at least write a letter.  They cann't fix a problem if they aren't aware that one exists. 

These forums have been an awsome source of reference for me, especially in the begining.  I find doing a little research before hitting a fabric store helps me out alot, especially when dealing with something new. 

Jo-Ann's has always been hit or miss for me, the last place we lived, I hated that Jo-Ann's, it was small, didn't carry anything I needed at the time I needed it and you couldn't find an employee to save your life.  The Jo-Ann's where I now currently live, is alot better, it's bigger, carries the supplies I'm generally looking for and the sales people are pretty good. 

If your looking for a new fabric store, try googling for one in your area, I found another fabric store near me by doing so.  If that doesn't produce results, the only other thing I can think of is to do your purchasing online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zye
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009 05:19:50 PM »

I know how you feel when you talk about rude employees, but I also encourage you to write a letter to the manager. In fact, don't just send it to the store manager, but send it CC to the district manager. Perhaps they don't realize that these employees are like this and could hire someone better.

I usually get my fabric from the discount bin at WallyWorld just cuz I rarely ever look for something specific, and Joanns is the backup in case I need something Wally doesn't. There's also a few online places to purchase fabric (Joanns has a good selection online as well!). Another thing you can do is look in your phonebook for locally owned craft stores. There might be a few near you and they're more interested in keeping your business (and it keeps the money local too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myrLegacy
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009 09:23:40 PM »

I like to go to my local Jo-Ann's too, mostly because I don't like spending money on gas trying to find a better store.  What I've noticed is that the employees are rude to each other!!!  There's some employees who have no clue what they're doing at the cutting table which means the customers get really impatient and rude and then they ask their coworkers for help and then the coworkers are rude to them.  And I've caught them gossiping about the ones that are incompetent with the customers.  The past three times I've been there, there's been dissatisfied customers complaining or waiting for the manager so that they can complain.

I've always had a problem with Jo Ann's.  I'd been trying to get hired there, and I thought I'd be eligible because I actually know how to sew, but I've never gotten call backs.  Of course, it's impossible to ask the employees anything about sewing because they know nothing to very little.  And when they do ask what I'm going to do with the fabric I'm buying, and I think someone is interested so I tell them in detail -- they stare at me with the most blank expression.

Is it so crazy to have the employees at a fabric store actually know something about sewing?  I would like to think that when I ask for tricot fusible interfacing, they won't pull out the non-woven sew-in interfacing.  Or cut diagonally into fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluelodge
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009 06:16:24 PM »

I don't go to Joannes very often.  It's 20 miles away like all of the other bigger stores.  I find some good fabric at St. Vinnies.  If I need something specific, I go to Joannes.  It's always hard to find someone to help me.
     Many years ago I applied for a job in a department store, that had a fabric and needlework  dept.  I got the job, and as I was leaving she asked me if I knew how to sew!!!  I did alot of sewing at the time and was a good crocheter too. I'm still amazed that she hired me without asking if I knew anything about sewing.  I stayed there for 5 years until the store when out of business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Rid of a Breakout Instantly
How to Get Fuller Eyebrows
Subtle Contouring and Highlighting Tutorial
The 3 Best Beauty Product Organizers
The Easiest Way to Burn 600 Calories
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...