A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A broomstick skirt from a sheet~Now with Tutorial  (Read 19296 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , sheet , tutorial , upcycle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 01, 2009 06:12:59 PM »

I found this lovely vintage sheet at Goodwill for $4. I fell in love with the summery feel of the fabric, and knew I had to make something from it. I live in Arizona, where, I love to wear skirts in the 100 degree plus weather. So, that's what I made.

Close up of the pretty flowers:

Please read all directions before beginning. Once you understand how to do it, it's easy.

1. Measure around your hips. Multiply by 1.5
 Example: 40"x1.5=60"

2. Measure from your waist to the length that you want your skirt. Divide this number by how many tiers you want. I have 4.
 Example: 40" from my waist to my ankles. Divided by 4 = 10"

3. Now add seam allowances to this number. For the first tier, add 1 inch for the casing for elastic, and 1/4" for the seam allowance.
So, your  first tier will measure Length: 60" and width: 11 1/4 inches.

4. Now find measurements for the other tiers. For the length, add another 1 1/2 of the length before.
Example: Tier 1 was 60". Tier 2 will be 90". Tier 3 will be 135". And tier 4 will be 202".

5. To calculate tier number 2's width, add 1/2" to the 10". That's 1/4" seam allowance for top and bottom.

Tier number three same as number 2 for width.

Tier number 4 would have a 1/4" seam allowance at the top and a 1/2" added to the bottom for a 1/4" hem. The measurement would be 10 3/4".

Construction:
1. Fold over the top of tier 1 and make a casing for your elastic.
2. Gather the top of tier 2 and pin to the bottom of tier number one, and sew, right
   sides together.
3. Repeat for tiers 3 and 4.
4. Insert elastic and sew skirt closed from top to bottom.
5. Hem tier 4

On this skirt, I made ruffles at the top of each tier. You'll need to add another 1/4" to your width measurements. Fold over each top by 1/4" and sew as close to the raw edge as possible, then gather . Then when you construct the skirt, you will have the wrong side of the top tier pinned to the wrong side of the bottom tier. When you hold up the skirt, the tiers will be correct, with the ruffles on the outside. Then I sewed trim close to the seam.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010 08:58:10 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Added tutorial to first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

saxonsweetie
Can't talk... craftsturbating...

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009 06:33:55 PM »

Very summery indeed! That ribbon trim in the close-up matches it so well! It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

$4.95 Flat Rate Box Swap-I'm stuffing my boxes!

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
poe poe
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009 06:34:11 PM »

very pretty! I love reuseing old sheets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009 08:39:36 PM »

I love it!  I agree, the ribbon trim is perfect.  It really looks great and ties the tiers together beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
fugzilla
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009 05:12:35 PM »

So cute! I have a sheet I had considered making something from, but wasn't sure if I should. Now I'm feeling inspired to go ahead. Smiley Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009 12:10:26 AM »

thats so pretty!

can you tell me how you made it? I desprately want to make skirts and have several like that, that I have purchased but I know I could make them myself if I had some direction Smiley

beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009 09:10:21 AM »

thats so pretty!

can you tell me how you made it? I desprately want to make skirts and have several like that, that I have purchased but I know I could make them myself if I had some direction Smiley

beautiful!
Please read all directions before beginning. Once you understand how to do it, it's easy.

1. Measure around your hips. Multiply by 1.5
 Example: 40"x1.5=60"

2. Measure from your waist to the length that you want your skirt. Divide this number by how many tiers you want. I have 4.
 Example: 40" from my waist to my ankles. Divided by 4 = 10"

3. Now add seam allowances to this number. For the first tier, add 1 inch for the casing for elastic, and 1/4" for the seam allowance.
So, your  first tier will measure Length: 60" and width: 11 1/4 inches.

4. Now find measurements for the other tiers. For the length, add another 1 1/2 of the length before.
Example: Tier 1 was 60". Tier 2 will be 90". Tier 3 will be 135". And tier 4 will be 202".

5. To calculate tier number 2's width, add 1/2" to the 10". That's 1/4" seam allowance for top and bottom.

Tier number three same as number 2 for width.

Tier number 4 would have a 1/4" seam allowance at the top and a 1/2" added to the bottom for a 1/4" hem. The measurement would be 10 3/4".

Construction:
1. Fold over the top of tier 1 and make a casing for your elastic.
2. Gather the top of tier 2 and pin to the bottom of tier number one, and sew, right
   sides together.
3. Repeat for tiers 3 and 4.
4. Insert elastic and sew skirt closed from top to bottom.
5. Hem tier 4

On this skirt, I made ruffles at the top of each tier. You'll need to add another 1/4" to your width measurements. Fold over each top by 1/4" and sew as close to the raw edge as possible, then gather . Then when you construct the skirt, you will have the wrong side of the top tier pinned to the wrong side of the bottom tier. When you hold up the skirt, the tiers will be correct, with the ruffles on the outside. Then I sewed trim close to the seam.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009 11:57:59 PM »

thanks soo much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananabanana
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009 09:53:23 PM »

Why is it called a broomstick skirt??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009 10:56:46 PM »

There's much less fabric in the top ruffle than the bottom one. You're supposed to twist it and keep it that way until it dries. That way you get all those great vertical wrinkles. When it's twisted, it resembles a broom. Skinny at the top and full at the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seth Meyers and Martha Stewart Make Ball Garlands
A Beautiful Holiday Arrangement
DIY Wintry Botanical Framed Mirror
Martha Stewart Makes a Beautiful Menorah
Festive Wrapping-Paper Coasters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...