A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 305,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hemming new Jeans  (Read 1053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarpumpkin
« on: October 01, 2009 09:38:04 AM »

Hello everyone!

I need your help!

I got this awesome pair of 1921 Jeans (reg price $158.00 but I got them for $15...I love Loehmann's!)

Anyway, they are long...like....5-6 inches too long for me. But the problem is that they have a really cool bottom to them. Its about 3 inchs of a really cool dye job that I dont want to lose because it totally makes the jean.

How can I go about hemming them to fit me without losing the bottom part? They are bootcut/flared jeans. I want them to continue looking cool but even with my tallest heals they are still too long.

Please help! I know with all the crazy creative people on this forum someone must have some idea?!

Thanks so much fellow Craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sequins-and-stripes.blogspot.com

Today, today its all or nothing, all the way, my praise goes out to you, yah all my praise goes out to you.
Today, Today I live for one thing, to give you praise in everything I do, yah all my praise goes out to you!
soorawn
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009 11:05:40 AM »

To shorten 5 inches, fold up 5 in, then fold back 2.5 in, then stitch in the ditch near the bottom part and when you're done cut the extra fold, preferably after zigzagging next to the new seam in the inside (or serge it!).  It'll be shorter and nobody will be able to see what happened.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009 10:06:16 PM »

Yeah, but that won't keep the "cool dye job" that will totally take it out and actually will be noticeable, unlike on regular jeans. I don't know on this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009 10:25:09 PM »

I honestly don't think the bottom can be saved. Even if you do fancy folds & stuff, that would prob take away from the design you want to preserve. Maybe someone else has a good solution - I'd be real curious to know too because I am short & always have to hem my jeans. Generally, I stay away from the fancy ones because I know there'd be no way I could hem them & w/o ruining the design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarpumpkin
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009 11:16:41 AM »

Thanks for your advice soorawn, but I will have to agree with Thesingingllamas that it wont save the bottom design I want to keep.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Today, today its all or nothing, all the way, my praise goes out to you, yah all my praise goes out to you.
Today, Today I live for one thing, to give you praise in everything I do, yah all my praise goes out to you!
soorawn
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009 11:38:41 AM »

Sorry, I thought the design was comprised in the bottom part.  Then, apart from shortening from above in the leg and maybe decorating over the seam with some ribbon, I can't think of anything else.  I'm not convinced of this one either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009 11:48:16 AM »

Sorry, I thought the design was comprised in the bottom part.  Then, apart from shortening from above in the leg and maybe decorating over the seam with some ribbon, I can't think of anything else.  I'm not convinced of this one either.

Was thinking the same thing.  "Executive Design Decision!"  You could go funky and add a trim to hide the seam or maybe a zipper?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarpumpkin
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009 09:07:51 AM »

oooOOOOoooo I like the zipper idea! I can still keep the bottom and add a funky aspect to the design with a zipper!

Fantastic idea!

Thanks soorawn adn cheteeneswthrt07!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009 02:05:15 PM »

My immediate thought was to make a series of pleats right at each knee (just sewn in at the side seams, not pressed or pintucked), and take out the equivalent amount from behind the knee (so yes, you'd have a seam behind your knee). I'm kinda enamoured of the idea now Tongue Shortening device + unique design feature! I've actually been thinking about a similar technique lately, so this is a perfect application for what's been floating around in my head.

Either way, hope ya figure something out Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009 10:13:37 PM »

The zipper and pleats ideas sound like good ones. I'm drawing a blank with good ideas though since I can't see them. Good luck with figuring it out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
David Grann Talks About The Lost City of Z
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 2
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 1
David A. Kessler Talks About The End of Overeating
ReShonda Tate Billingsley Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...