A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sunburn Remedies!!!  (Read 2789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2005 07:35:27 AM »

Hey y'all.  Summer is coming and I got a heinous sunburn yesterday...so I was thinking...Does anyone have any good remedies for sunburn?

I've found one that works better than aloe-based gels: Gold Bond Powder! Its not just for guys' balls and babies! (yellow container, if you use blue or green, you might be real sorry!)

Anything else would be greatly GREATLY appreciated. OH...and tips on not getting sunburned would be cool too! I'm very fair skinned and I live in the South, so no matter what I do I fry!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
Milly
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005 07:38:56 AM »

just apply the aftersun V thick and don't rub it in! works for me, skin just absorbs it! *shloop* (tried to write the absorbing noise....  Embarrassed)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
NellyPie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005 08:01:18 AM »

What's that? Do you just get it from a drug store?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
Katycanada1981

All Canadian girl.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005 08:25:13 AM »

Poor you!! Burns are the pits.

Buy some 2% milk (or higher - something with a lot of milk fat) and apply it to your burn with a cotton ball or pad. I usually follow this up with a healthy coat of moisturizer, and I stay away from any oily moisturizers for the duration of my burn. Oil makes it difficult for your skin to heal properly, or so says my on-call pharmacist (my boyfriend).

This works. And no you won't smell like milk. I'm allergic to milk but it doesn't bother my skin, and it helps the burn heal when there's no Hawaiian Tropic medicated gel on hand. I used Hawaiian Tropic last summer in the Caribbean when we got hella burned on a scuba trip and it helped my skin heal quickly.

As for burn prevention, listen to my momma who at 49 looks 10 years younger - stay out of the sun and if you really can't avoid it, be fastidious with sunscreen (SPF 25 or higher) and wear a wide brimmed hat that covers your face, ears, and casts a shadow on your cleavage. This summer I'm going to get crafty with my coverups and find some sexy sheerish wraps and such for the beach.

Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
professor_ping

all hail king cronos!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005 08:36:30 AM »

As a native floridian, I've tried it all.... except that milk thing...
If you can get your hands on a live aloe plant, get one.  Snap off a leaf (if that's what you can call the branchey things...), cut it open, and smear it on your burn.  It smells bad, but if you've got a serious burn it's worth it, as this is the most effective relief and healing on the planet.
Also, Banana Boat After Sun Gel w/ vitamin E and aloe works wonders.  No smell really after it dries, though it does have a *bit* of an aloe scent when wet.
Don't take hot showers till the burn heals if you can bear cool showers.  Hot water will dry out the burn, cause more peeling, etc.
Stay out of the sun (obviously) til you are healed.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005 09:01:43 AM »

Ditto on using the actual aloe plant -- in my experience it is WAY more affective than purchased gel. 
                                       (I read somewhere that it is the pasteurization process that is necessary for packaging that causes
                                       the difference; the article claimed a 75% drop in efficacy, which is about my experience...)

I further recommend that you keep the aloe leaf in the 'fridge!  I split mine up the middle of the leaf, and pull back on the edges -- that way the bumps on the edging don't rub into your burn, which can actually hurt -- smear it on, and let it dry.  The cooling of the 'fridge makes it especially nice.

For really bad burns I've been known to soak a blouse in cool water before wearing it.  I don't know that it helps with healing, but it does make it feel better, and I don't think it does any harm.  Cold would shock the skin, 'tho, so no matter how tempting, try not to sit in front of the fan wearing the wet blouse until you've healed a bit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Krysta
Livin' In Wonderland...

'yo sup dawg?'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005 09:03:56 AM »

Rubbing vinegar on your burn helps to cool it off and not hurt. It'll sting when you first put it on but afterwards it feels great.

My mom also made this cream with witch hazel in it and it works wonders to cool down the skin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
Aly_421
i <3 theatre, but not the DRAMA.

anyone home?? echO-O-O-O-o....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005 02:09:05 PM »

i have problems with soothing burns as well. i haven't tried anything that works really well yet, but i'll keep all these in mind.

the SPF [so says my Gramma] is how often you should apply the sunscreen. so, if you're using a SPF 15, apply and reapply every 15 minutes. wouldn't it be nice to have a SPF 120 or something?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

too many mutha ucka's, uckin with my shi
theres too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
how many mutha ucka's?
too many too count! mutha ucka.
Milly
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005 03:05:29 PM »

yeah like aftersun...
like here:
http://www.boots.com/shop/product_list_new_template.jsp?classificationid=1009598
i wish i needed it more often, i live in England. it rains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
NellyPie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005 08:42:22 PM »

Oh my god! I just realized that NOT only is the top of one of my ears burned too, but its getting huge and scary and swollen. I'm so scared. It's like I got burned with a curling iron. What do I do? I didn't think I got burned that bad. its so weird...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seventeen Fashion Interns Model the Cutest Sweaters in the Closet!
Heather Morris Cover Shoot for Seventeen Magazine
Karolina Kurkova in a Push-Up Bra
Salma Hayek Serves Up Six Sizzling Looks in 24 Hours
Viktor & Rolf Design Modern Bridal Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...