A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,529
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant on Amy Butler  (Read 1243 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« on: September 22, 2009 05:43:12 PM »

I'm sewing my first Amy Butler pattern (mini-dress/tunic) and I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the way she words her directions!  She spent all of step one telling me how to transfer dots on each pattern piece!  I could understand if this was labeled as a "beginner" pattern, but she asterisks all other "techniques" and terms such as backstitching, top-stitching, clipping, pivoting, etc., for you to go look up in the glossary.  Yet we get a full diatribe on how to transfer dots!?!

Though the pattern is deceptively simple-looking, I spent 40 minutes making 8 shoulder pleats in each piece of bodice and facing.  Broke 2 needles due to carelessness.  Can you tell it's time for me to put it down for the night?  I really want to make this top.  I've lusted after her patterns for so long.  DH finally broke down and bought it for me.  It's been forever since I made something for ME, due to recent arrivals of my nephew and other small persons.  I just want to have something cute and wearable!

Does anyone else find Amy Butler instructions rant-worthy? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
BT
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009 09:07:07 AM »

Although I have never used an Amy Butler pattern, I can certainly sympathize with your frustration. At least the pattern explains how to do things. I've been sewing all of my life, yet I still find some of the Big 4 pattern instructions almost impossible to follow. Steps are left out, and it is assumed you know what things like "transfer the dots" mean without any explanation whatsoever. The major pattern companies also don't utilize some great products on the market that they can't mention by name (i.e. Steam-a-Seam, Chacoliner, Wondertape, etc.)

May I suggest that before tackling any new pattern, you sit down and read the instructions all the way through. You should be able to picture each step in your head. If not, then highlight the area and ask a sewing buddy for help. Make notes in the margins before and during your project. That way you'll know exactly what to expect when you sit down to sew.

By the way, whatever time I estimate to complete a garment, it usually takes 3 times that long. My estimates always seem to forget about finding stuff I misplaced, going back and marking the dots I forgot, ripping out mistakes, filling bobbins, replacing needles, filling the iron, waiting for the iron to heat up, petting the cat, and other non-sewing activities.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009 03:37:17 PM »

At least her patterns have directions.  Regular sewing patterns do not.  I bought a pattern online from someone and it was a 120 page PDF... (!) Crazy!

I made an Amy Butler Birdie Sling Tote.  The first one took me all day, but I don' think that had anything at all to do with her directions, I am inexperienced with bag sewing and I need to read directions thoroughly at all stages when I learn new things.  After the first one, I've made 3 more that were much quicker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009 08:05:51 PM »

Take a deep breath & step away from the pattern!  Smiley  I make careless mistakes when I'm tired.  Best to put down for a day or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

azlorena
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009 05:37:59 AM »

I agree with you about the wordiness of her pattern directions.  I just sort of read it quickly and paraphrase.  I made the mini dress.  I did end up altering the pattern a little because as I see pictures of other peoples' finished products, I noticed that the empire "waistline" (as I interpreted from the front pattern photo) was not exactly a waistline, but more of an over or across the bustline...(not a pretty look on me)....so I added about 4 inches to the front bodice and back bodice lining.  It turned out really cute.  In fact, I love the one that I made as a wearable muslin so much, that I wear it all of the time.  Good luck with this pattern....and have some patience for the directions.  The finished product is worth it.

Lorena
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_abi
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009 03:57:17 PM »

Well, I finished it.  At some points I was following the directions blindly, because they were too wordy or didn't have a corresponding picture to help.  At one point the back panel is mislabeled (E), when it's actually (D). 

I guess I just like the standardization of the Big Four, whose patterns and pictures I can almost always figure out with a combination of the pictures and the words. 

azlorena, you're right.  The dress is worth it in the end.  I made the tunic, knowing full well it would be a short dress on my 5'0" frame.  And maybe, if I can tolerate the stupid shoulder pleats and remedial dot-transferring directions, I'll make it again in a different length.  I was really unhappy with the zipper installation -- both my attempts, and her directions.  I was also displeased with how lumpy the back facings lay as a result of putting the zipper between the back panel and the facings with the top-stitching already in place.  But, zippers aside, I love it.  I finished the hem this morning and wore it today!  Pictues shall be forthcoming. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009 08:18:48 AM »

Her patterns are kind of messed up sometimes.  The last time I made one (the cabo halter) I had to redraft part of it completely- it had the straps being completely 100% straight.  Which is phenomenal if you were sewing them to the back, but not so much for a halter unless you want odd gappy folds over your chest where you can see the lining fabric.  (and they were short, too.  I'm 5'2", and short in the torso, and I had to lengthen them since the given length wasn't enough to actually double knot or tie a bow behind my neck.)

I've heard similar complaints about some of her clothing, too.  Maybe the "stuff" patterns (Bags, pillows, etc) are better than the clothes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

azlorena
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009 07:14:59 PM »

Ahh....I left the zipper out.  I have a thing about wasting a zipper on stuff where the zipper will never be used.  This dress is definitely NOT tight enough to warrant a zipper.

Lorena
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Jessica Parker’s Life Changed by Burger Recipe
King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
Barbecued Chicken-Zucchini Pizza Recipe
Quick and Easy Recipes for the Back-To-School Transition
Bacon Blue Cheese Sliders Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...