A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I hate my quilting! Do you hate it too?  (Read 2079 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 30, 2009 03:41:48 PM »

I made this quilt for a friend's new baby.  I loved it... until I quilted the darned thing!  The stitching did not turn out like I had hoped at all.  I don't normally do a stitch like this but I wanted to try something new.  I had seen it on another quilt but now I am thinking that other one might have been done on a long arm machine.   I feel like it looks really bad!  I am contemplating ripping out all of my stitching.  What is your opinion?

Whole thing:

Up close:

Ugh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009 03:58:32 PM »

I really like it! I like the color and the loops. What don't you like about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009 04:05:06 PM »

it doesnt look bad. and kudos for actually trying freehand quilting on a personal machine!! i totally chicken out have a the longarmer do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009 04:17:52 PM »

MareMare- The loops aren't as smooth looking as I would like.  There are spots where the angles are sharp instead of curvy like they are supposed to be.

Thanks for the positive feedback.  It's hard to be objective about your own crafts sometimes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
Wisty Goodness
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009 04:53:03 PM »

on a regular machine it is hard to get fluid lines on a larger peice. if you were quilting something the depth of your machine you could likely get the look you were going for but on a big quilt its almost impossible.

the quilting doesnt look bad. a tip i read in a book somewhere was to draw on the desired design and then slowing follow the line useing the darning foot. the stitch length might be varigated but you might get a more fluid line. i've never done it so i cant say it works its just something i read
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
anaximander
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009 05:36:19 PM »

Bind it. It makes all the difference in the world. Then if you still don't like it, you can overstitch a bit. Remember, you've been staring at this thing, closely, for hours - if not days - *nobody* else will notice the mistakes that you obsess about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009 05:49:54 PM »

on a regular machine it is hard to get fluid lines on a larger peice. if you were quilting something the depth of your machine you could likely get the look you were going for but on a big quilt its almost impossible.

the quilting doesnt look bad. a tip i read in a book somewhere was to draw on the desired design and then slowing follow the line useing the darning foot. the stitch length might be varigated but you might get a more fluid line. i've never done it so i cant say it works its just something i read

I think that was my issue.  I always quilt in free motion but usually the lines are denser.  I did draw it out any (try) to follow along with a darning foot.  It just wasn't as smooth.  I think that you are right, the the quilt is just too big for my machine to do in that design. 

anaximander- You are probably right also.  I may just bind it and send it off.  The baby is almost 6 weeks now.  I have had the quilting done since before she was born.  It's been sitting like this, in limbo state for too long, which is why I posted it here.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty Goodness
FredPie
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009 08:38:19 PM »

I like the random swirliness of it.  Including the sharper angles right next to the big smooth curves.  I'm sure they'll love it.  I like your color selection, too (even though that's not what you're asking about!)
I've always wanted to quilt, but judging how long it takes me to finish MUCH smaller projects, I haven't allowed myself to try it yet.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap, but must admit I'm a little flakey!
ryeblossom
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009 10:06:29 PM »

I'm not a quilter, though hope to make few quilts soon. I hope you don't mind me replying anyway...
I can see what you mean about the lines and why you don't like them. However, I agree with anaximander- it doesn't look bad at all, and nobody else will notice it (so don't point it out to your friend!  Grin).

*You* know what you had planned, and what went wrong with it, but she doesn't! It looks lovely if you don't think about what you *meant* to do and how it went wrong for you...

I like it Smiley Nice bright colors with some really cool patterns- I"m sure she'll be keeping it for years to come! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009 08:17:05 AM »

I would suggest adding more random quilting.  The more "randomness" I put in my quilting, the better.  And instead of going just random swirls (like stippling), you can add vertical and horizontal wavy lines.  They will help add dimension to the "blank areas".

And like other say... binding and a wash/dry will do wonders! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Super Decorate Your Yard for the Winter Holidays
How to Prevent Ribbons from Fraying
How to Keep Bows and Tags Undamaged
How to Make a Sword Out of Foam
How to Make a Black Cat Costume
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...