A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with difficult Dad (birthday and christmas days apart)!! PLEASE!!!  (Read 1089 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PepsiTwist
« on: September 29, 2009 10:09:03 PM »

I am so frustrated that I can't find much to do for my non typical parents. I hate cliches my dad isn't into golfing and ties and my mom isn't into jewelry and purses and such.

The main thing with my parents is when they want something, they buy it. So I never have an opportunity to even buy them anything they want because they already have it!!

My dad loves to fish, but he bought his boat, his poles, his reels, his tackle, everything he needs to fish, he even has two fishing kayaks!! He doesn't like cologne, or golf, or ties, or non functional things. He loves movies and music but they only thing I can think of him liking are stenciled tee's (which even then he would rarely wear)... and he isn't even interested in sports, so it's not like I can go the easy route and make something sport related!

I have no idea what to do for him!!

My parents aren't too thrilled about me moving out (it won't be until I'm married, which is in a little less than 1.5 years) so I wanted to try and do something that would be meaningful yet functional and such.

I also get frustrated because anything I have ever made my parents has ended up in a corner somewhere, usually broken and never given a second look...

UGhh somebody please help!!! Huh

P.S. I figured I would make my mom some better potholders because the ones she has are the old style geese (ick) and when I move out she'll have to start cooking again (I do all the cooking now)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009 10:13:36 PM by PepsiTwist » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009 12:53:11 AM »

Is your dad a coffee drinker? How about decoupaged pictures of his best fishing excursions...you know the pic of the one that didn't get away type?

How about head gear? If he is a morning or night fisher, you could make him a crocheted or knitted hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PepsiTwist
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009 06:00:36 AM »

Those are great ideas unfortunately he is neither a coffee drinker (he is a plastic water bottle type, he has tried to not use the plastic water bottles but it lasts all of 2 weeks and he's but to the plastic (he's such an addict, LOL)) nor the type to wear a hat (plus I can't knit or crochet to begin with lol!) I was able to decide what to do for every other person except for him!! Usually I just buy him some DVDs and popcorn bowl and such but I don't want to do the same thing every year...Thanks for your input though! Grin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009 06:01:47 AM by PepsiTwist » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hotsaucencake
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009 01:04:53 PM »

Is there a movie that you two like to watch together. For example, I moved out about 3 years ago, but my dad and I always used to watch "It's a wonderful life" together at Christmas time. Since I wasn't going to be around the night it was on the tv like usual, I bought the DVD and gave it to him when we went down for Christmas and we got to watch it together. He's the kind of dad that never wants you to buy him anything at all, and I know he appreciated the gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shastaw2006
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009 03:24:20 PM »

I'm doing art for my family this year- Taking good pictures and printing them onto a iron on transfer, and ironing that to a 8x10 canvas, and sticking it into a frame. You can do whatever size you'd like, really, if you get good at hiding seams. This does seem to warp the canvas slightly, but it's not noticeable and I'm gonna try it on different heat levels to see how much heat is really needed to transfer the image.
This is really cheap as well, I got my canvases at Dollar Tree and my frames from various thrift stores around, you don't need the glass.
Include a coupon to hang it, and then you wont be upset when you see it sitting against the wall next Easter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PepsiTwist
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009 09:05:04 AM »

Thats such a cute idea. Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Coralia
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009 08:19:46 PM »

I run into the same problems, too.  Tongue  Maybe you can make a water bottle cozy or two w/ an adjustable strap & slip in one of those stainless steel bottles for your dad. I've seen a few posts around here with tuts on them. Besides potholders for your mom, maybe you can find some nice linen & coordinating ribbon to trim to make tea/hand towels that match her decor, or a tea cozy for her purse/work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PepsiTwist
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009 09:07:24 PM »

My mom FINALLY told me there is something that I could make that she would actually use!! OMG the world is coming to an end!!!  Grin

So she wants me to make her a foot stool for her cubicle at work with a padded top for comfort (I already have the padding and vinyl for it, still need the wood...) I'll post a picture whenever I finish it, although it could be awhile.

I love the idea with the towels, she has some but they always fall on the floor, so I'm definitely going to consider making her some to match the new potholders and have the button on them so they can button around the oven handle...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xperimentl
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009 09:48:56 AM »

Last year I made corn bags for all of my family members and the guys especially got into them.  It's just a fabric bag and case filled with corn that they can throw in the microwave to warm up and use on sore muscles or just to keep warm or put them in the freezer for cold therapy.  You could make one with fishing themed fabric, flannel, or denim.  I used the instructions at http://www.diamondthreadworks.com/microwave_heating_bags.htm  They are a simple thing to make, practical, and inexpensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
PSI-OPS Deserves to Be Remade
Xbox One and PS4 Discounted in UK
Woah Dave! - Gameplay
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Margaret Trailer
Viking Squad - Announcement Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...