A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: October Jewelry and Trinkets Featured Member~Onyxnox!  (Read 5083 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2009 09:46:21 PM »

The first Jewelry and Trinkets member for the new Jewelry and Trinkets Featured  Member section is ~ Onyxnox! She has been a member of Craftster since July of 2006, and is a frequent poster on the various Jewelry and Trinket boards. She is helpful on the Questions and Discussion Board, willing to share her advice with new members and veterans alike.

These are some of my favorite projects of hers!

And of course, a soapy one!

A little intro by Onyxnox:
My name is Bonnie, and I have always loved working with my hands and creating things.  I find that it helps me to focus, relax, and wind down an escape from the day to day grind.  I also love to make things for others, maybe crafting for others is how I express my feelings for them, who knows?  In my non-crafting mode, I am a nurse, who shares her forever-being-renovated home with her high school sweetheart, her two canine sweethearts, and a lot of dust bunnies, in Toronto, Canada.

Q: Why (and when) did you begin making Jewelry?

A:  I have always crafted off and on since I was a child.  I remember friendship pins, and bracelets being a huge thing as a child, and loved making them.  But I did not become enamoured with beading and jewelry-making until I was probably in my early 20s and a friend took me to my first craft show.  It was what was then known as the Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival in Toronto  I saw some amazing artisans there, like Maria Rypan, Marilyn Gardiner, and the staff from BeadFX and fell in love with the samples of their work.  Not only was their work gorgeous, but they were there to teach others how to make that beauty themselves, and I dove right in, and have never looked back.  I started out with a necklace kit, and since then I have lived to bead and craft with beads, rings, and wire.

Q: What are your favorite materials to work with? Favorite tools?

A:  I love working with seed beads, and have recently learned the joys of working with the precision of Delicas.  There is something incredibly soothing about focusing on those tiny pieces of glass beauty.  However, I have recently learned to work with jump rings to do chainmaille as well, and am loving that.  I have recently discovered the joy of making glass tile pendents as well.  But I think my favourite tool is still the simple beading needle, a spool of  Nymo, a tub of Thread Heaven, and my bead mat.

Q: Besides some lovely pendants, what other kinds of jewelry/trinkets do you make?

A:  I play around with necklaces, but what I really like to do is make ornaments.  Christmas ornaments done with bead weaving for example.  I have several works in progress that have yet to see the light of day that are floral ornaments too.

Q: How did your first jewelry making project go for you?

A:  Luckily it was a kit, with well written instructions.  It introduced me to bead weaving/netting, and it came out so beautifully that it just gave me encouragement to go from there.  

Q: Do you have any Craftster Crushes on other jewelry makers on the board? Who are they?

A:  Everyone!  Really no exaggeration.  I love Craftster because there is such a synergy about the forums.  Everyone is all about the crafts, and I get a lot of inspiration reading about what everyone else is doing, their responses to what I have done, and the general exchange of information and ideas.  I have recently started swapping too, and that is like a physical representation of that synergy.  I find sometimes I am at a crossroads and atagnant in my crafting, but going to Craftster and looking at what others are doing always helps to boost my own energy and desire to create.

If I had to choose one Craftster, I think I may have to say Hawkwolf, because he inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and try chainmaille, and gave some really good tips and encouragement to help me along.  However, he is but one brilliant star in a galaxy full (Jam4ever, beadangel, beadsbeadingbeaded, atsuko, acidtrix come to mind as well, just to name a few of many)

Q: Do you have any favorite techniques?

A:  I love to learn new things and will try anything that catches my interest at least once.  But my favourite method seems to be bead weaving or netting.

Q: Are there any kinds of jewelry or techniques that you want to learn?

A:  I would like to advance my chainmaille skills, and learn to do more intricate wire work.  My ultimate desire would be to learn lampworking or fusing, and perhaps one day be able to create my own glass focal beads.

Q: Where do you get inspiration for your projects?

A:  So many sources.  Craftster is one very significant place.  Sometimes I will be flipping through a magazine, or watching TV, and see something that makes me think, hmmmmmm, that would be cool as a necklace, bracelet, ornament, etc.  I used to have scraps of magazines or newspapers stuck with magnets on my fridge of pictures that caught my attention.  Finally, I just started keeping a sketchbook with quick sketches of ideas and jotted notes.  The problem is that I think I get far more ideas than I have time to actually work on.

Q: What other crafts do you do?

A:  I knit, crochet, dabble in cross stitching at times.  I dabble in painting, have started stenciling, and also like to decorate glass with etching compound.  Do cooking/baking, and gardening count?  I do a lot of this and that.  

Q: What is your favorite J &T project on Craftster that you posted? And why (with link to project)

A:  I think I may have to say the black fringe necklace.  It wasnt hard, or complex, but I love the way the light catches on it, and the drape and weight feel amazing.  

Black Branching Fringe Necklace

Also, the jadeite and purple bead choker I  love the colour combination, and the weight of the jadeite donut against the throat.  It is also a recreation (and improvement) of an earlier necklace I did when I first started making jewelry it may be my first original design..  I loved it then, and made it for myself, but gave it away to a friend.  I loved this one too, and gave it away in a swap because I thought the recipient would love it too.    

Jade and purple Set

Q: What is your favorite J&T project on Craftster that someone else has posted?  

A: Its so hard to choose.  I think more of a category than anything else.  I love the reconstructed projects, like the reconstructed utensil jewelry, or those made from things like cans.  I think it is brilliant to take such a mundane object like a fork, spoon, broken toy, or old can, and turn it into a unique, and eye catching piece of wearable ornamentation.  Especially if it is changing something from trash to treasure.

Spoons are NOT for eating by Fun2Create

Heirloom Spoon Rings by acidtrix

Q: What is your favorite non-J&T project on Craftster that you have posted?  

A:  Probably my etched glass items.  I had been using chemical etching compound to decorate glass for a few years.  I had decided I was not fond of cutting contact paper stencils, and started making stencils using fabric paint to paint on a resist stencil directly onto the glass.  It made for more fluid lines, and I found it easier to work with for me.  I did not realize that perhaps I came upon a new technique until I posted my unicorn canisters I decorated one year, and wrote about how I did it.  The response seemed pretty amazing to me.  I also plan on trying it with smaller items like glass tiles and beads in the future.

Glass Unicorn Canisters

Q: What is your favorite non-J&T project on Craftster that someone else has posted?  

A:  I think I have a fascination with all things shiny a lot of it seems to be focused on glass or metal.  But I love love love love lurking in the glass forums and seeing what others do with fused glass, stained glass, glass mosaic, etched glass, etc.  I love all the fused glass pendants and bowls, etc.  These are two projects that really blew me away though, and that I seriously covet for my own home!

Funky Flowers Mosaic Window by HSG

Weeping Willow by craftylittlemonkey

Thanks so much Bonnie for answering these questions and sharing a little about yourself and your crafts!

If you would like to reccomend someone to be a Featured Member in the future, please send me a pm!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009 12:47:37 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
JAM4ever
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009 06:50:40 AM »

Very cool interview, thanks so much for the in-depth replies and the contributions to our little "community!"

~Mihana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mishimon

Jewellery Obsessed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009 05:25:35 AM »

Thankyou for posting this interview! It's always fun to find out about how fellow jewellery artists work and are inspired! Smiley I love the origami pendants and loofah soaps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fashionfan
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009 02:42:51 AM »

that black neklace is just gourgeous would have taken ages
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint With Digital Paint in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Work With Non-Destructive Editing in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Color Correction in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use the Image Processor in Adobe Bridge CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...