A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Our science geeky wedding :) Lengthy Post  (Read 21125 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , science , geek , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009 02:48:54 PM »

Fantastic job! I love the science touches--the DNA helix, the flowers in Erlenmeyer flasks. Everything looked gorgeous. Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
SciFunk
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009 12:18:13 AM »

AWESOME! I totally want to do something like this for my wedding. I'm a biochemistry major, so the science theme sounds pretty sweet to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirael
Keeper of the Keys

Degeneration

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009 06:14:05 AM »

This is so amazing!  I especially love the Erlenmeyer flask bouquets and test tube favors!  Absolutely awesome, in a beautiful, geeky way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GreenStockings
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009 09:51:33 AM »

That looks like so much fun!! I totally dig your table numbers (I <3 trivial pursuit), and if you were really geeks, then one of them must have been Nurse Chapel Wink

Joking aside, I love your carafes, and if you say etching is easy, I'll add it to the list of projects to try at some point.

Congrats, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LinzSerena
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009 03:30:14 PM »

--->GiddyUpMunky
Here's an example of some of our questions (w/ relevancy explanation in parenthesis):
Blue - Geography
Baltimore's World Trade Center is the highest building in the world with how many sides?
Five (Baltimore is nearest city & where I spend 90% of my wake time)

Pink - Entertainment
The Sinatra version of this 1954 song was played by Apollo 10 astronauts during their lunar-orbital mission and again by Buzz Aldrin during Apollo 11.
Fly me to the moon (Our first dance)

Yellow - History
On this date, Gliese 581 c, a potentially habitable Earth-like extrasolar planet, is discovered in the constellation Libra. Also, Barry & Lindsey had their first date.
April 24th, 2007 (Our 1st date)

Brown Arts & Literature
This famous Hopkins neurosurgeon wrote the book Gifted Hands, which was recently made into a movie in which Cuba Gooding Jr. starred.
Dr. Ben Carson (Doctor @ Johns Hopkins Hospital that I GREATLY admire - read all his books, attend his lectures, blush & wave @ him in the halls... I think there's even a picture of me meeting him on the wedding website hehehe)

Green - Science & Nature
Barry gave Lindsey a necklace that spells out ALWAYS in amino acids. What amino acid does W stand for?
Tryptophan (Pretty self explanatory - Barry got me an amazing amino acid pendant necklace for my birthday. He ordered it from http://www.madewithmolecules.com/aminobet.html)

Orange - Sports & Leisure
Barry attended the Indy 500 in 2009. Who followed up their Dancing with the Stars victory by winning that race?
Helio Castroneves (self explanatory)

Most of our questions had to do with the town we live in or the towns we work in. Also there were a lot of sports questions for Barry (he's a sports junkie), and lots of important date questions (my birthday, his birthday, year we were born, etc.)

--->GreenStockings
Definitely worth it to try the etching. It is pretty fool-proof. We bought a bunch of glassware from the Dollar Store, so it was a really cheap craft too!

--->sirael
The test tubes and flasks were actually pretty inexpensive too, so it was very cost-effective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Be open to learning new lessons even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday."
- Ellen Degeneres
---------------------------------------------
"All great achievements require time" ~Maya Angelou
cantafruit
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009 02:29:09 PM »

Love the geekiness! Very cool thing with the M&Ms!

Curious: I grew up in Poland [I'm 100% Polish] but never heard of "czpek" [czepek?] or apron for a "small dance". I've been to a few weddings in Poland too! Could you elaborate?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*personal swap, anyone? I sew, knit and crochet*

wist: http://www.wists.com/cantafruit
LinzSerena
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009 03:28:11 PM »

--->cantafruit
It's odd how some Polish people haven't heard of some of the traditions or have heard of variations on the ceremonies.. I kinda wonder if it's a regional thing (like southern traditions here in the states). I am only half Polish, with my mother being 100%. Most of the Polish weddings I have gone too have had at least one of these elements, but I've only been to Polish weddings in America. Smiley

Anyways, the czepek (I've seen a few spellings for this) is a little lace cap-like thing or a scarf that is put onto the bride's hair after the godmother removes her veil during a ceremony called oczepiny. This occurs while the song Serdeczna Matko plays. After the veil is removed, the song becomes a faster polka (Spadla Z Wisni) and the guests hit their plates w/ their spoon/fork. The czepek is supposed to symbolize that the bride is now taking on the responsibilities of a wife (whatever that is supposed to be Wink ) Also at this time, a string of mini baby dolls is tied around the bride and grooms neck. It's supposed to symbolize fertility and traditionally is the mother of the bride's prediction for the # and sex of the babies the couple is to have (our necklaces had 2 boys, 2 girls) Smiley A funny hat designed by the bride's mother is placed onto the groom. The funny hat is supposed to encourage laughter and fun in the marriage. So that was the oczepiny.

Another ceremony we did was @ the beginning of the reception. The bride and groom are served by the mothers of the bride and groom. They served us a piece of salted bread and a glass of wine. This signifies a wish that the bride and groom never know hunger or thirst, and share a life spiced with happiness. I don't remember the name of this ceremony, but our officiant was familiar with it.

The small dance is basically an apron dance. The godmother of the bride dons a special apron that the mother of the bride makes and she does this strange little dance where she stomps one foot and then slides the other. I think she also shouts something in Polish, but I'm a little clueless about that part. The father of the bride starts off the dance, dancing the polka with the bride, then male family members cut in and dance with the bride and then other male family guests (that's tradition -- at ours, it was pretty much everyone - guys and girls). All the while, they toss in a dollar into the apron to dance with the bride (One guy told me that he heard at some Polish weddings, they are supposed to tie the dollar into a knot, but we didn't do that). While the bride is dancing (sometimes up to 15+ minutes -- that's a long polka!), the family members keep the groom from breaking in and dancing with the bride. Finally, once the godmother is satisfied, she allows the groom to toss in his wallet and then he carries his bride off. Traditionally, this is the end of the bride and grooms presence in the wedding, but we did ours and then came back for a final group dance.

So that was it. There were other traditions that we didn't do (like re-braiding my hair, tossing my veil instead of my bouquet, and the traditional Polish dances), but I am the only daughter in my family, so it was very important to my mother and my godmother that I incorporate some of my heritage into the wedding. Since Barry and I aren't terribly traditional people, we kept the ceremonies to a minimum.

Sorry that was a long post, I hope I clarified some stuff. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Be open to learning new lessons even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday."
- Ellen Degeneres
---------------------------------------------
"All great achievements require time" ~Maya Angelou
cantafruit
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009 12:47:28 PM »

Thanks! I think the reason for Polish people not knowing these traditions is that among my generation [I am 33 but during my 20s I lived in PL - many of my peers got married then] people tend to go away from them and they're still alive [the traditions Wink ]more in small villages and rural areas than in big cities [where I grew up] where people just want to have simpler weddings with less vodka Wink

Also, some traditions are very much regional.

Also, people living in tight-knit emigrant communities [like many Polish ones in America are] tend to stay more traditional than the people left in the old country. I can see that somewhat in the Arizona Polish store when I observe older ladies' clothing and haircuts Wink

We did the bread and salt thing [no wine though].
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009 12:50:18 PM by cantafruit - Reason: adding more info » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*personal swap, anyone? I sew, knit and crochet*

wist: http://www.wists.com/cantafruit
Panini

Crafting my way through law school!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009 07:50:13 PM »

I love what you did! It was very elegant yet added a lot of your personality in it... I personally loved the subtle beakers for the flowerpieces and the test-tubes for the favors. Awesome and Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't wait to be a swapper! Cheesy
ichbinbudino
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009 09:11:43 PM »

I love all the science-y details!  I'm especially a fan of the double helix border on the invites!  It shows how much you put your personalities into the wedding!  Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sonya Chung Talks About Long for This World
The UltraMind Solution Book Trailer
Tim Gunn Reveals a Few Tips and Greets Fans
Meet Author Daisy Fuentes
Alysia Sofios Talks About Where Hope Begins
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...