A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stocking Stuffers For Guys  (Read 1451 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

princessblueberry
« on: September 28, 2009 10:23:38 AM »

So here is my dilemma, with 3 out of 4 children at our family Christmas gathering having B-Days within 3 weeks of Christmas...two of which are mine...our family has decided to limit Christmas presents to stocking suffers only.  What of earth do you you use for guy's stocking stuffs other than food stuffs? 

I grew up with 3 sisters and all Dad ever got was socks, deodorant, and candy in his...there have got to be better ideas out there other than the cop out of 'oh, just get a gift certificate...'  or expensive items.  Gals are getting things like scrabble tile necklaces, magnets, soaps, niece is getting a belt (tute on craftster :-), found SIL a mini strawberry shortcake doll 2nd hand (vintage and she collects them), and everyone is getting baked goods like fudge, jams and other treats made with Chex  (as many in family are allergic to gluten and with the chex recipes they still taste likes treats to everyone else too). 

*Hubby, computer programmer, hates presents & the holidays but still needs something as I'm not going to let the kids see him get nothing, will probably have son and starting next year daughter too (she is still on the oven till January) make daddy things as he likes that.  Still any ideas would be awesome...   

*FIL, electrician, loves to read...that and his wife and dogs is basically his life.  LOVES baked goods but I still need other ideas.  MIL when asked for ideas all she could say is 'gift certificate to barn's & noble'

*BIL, officer in Army Reserve, teaching at college this year, likes to read, plans to live off of cafeteria food.  Was thinking of making microwave or in a mug mixes but still need non-food ideas

My only idea for a craft to do for guys is the tea bag wallets...hubby thinks that to weird though so I'm torn as to weather to make that for them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
bighillgoddess
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009 09:19:39 PM »

I thought of a few crafty things:

You can make bath products for men too. Just use pine or eucalyptus scents. You can also find any number of shaving soap recipes online that are wonderful when presented in a mug with a brush and a fresh razor.

Handmade boxers would fit into a stocking if you rolled them up and the fabric could be personalized to the recipient.

Mix CDs

A pocket to hang over a couch or chair to hold the remote

If you knit or crochet-caps, scarves, beer (or soda) cozies

a keyring or good luck charm for rear-view mirror

personalized flip calendar

bookmarks

Or simple purchases:

pocket knives

puzzle books/brain teasers

gloves

travel mug or small thermos stuffed with single packs of coffee/tea/cocoa

playing cards (can be personalized)

unique pens

Men ARE more difficult to stuff a stocking for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson
sminto
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009 09:35:04 PM »

what about a new wallet? either store bought or you make your own duct tape wallet and decorate it with camo or something.. maybe inside the wallet put some gift cards or print off pictures of you two/the family. or a two dollar bill Wink

dvds. cds. old mix tape of yalls favorite songs. with mix tapes it would be fun to cut off and add certain parts of other songs. on my old stereo you can play a CD and create a mix tape so that may be fun Smiley

make a webpage dedicated to the two of you and your family. upload pictures, add captions, the whole sha-bang. or create a free blog and he can keep up with how you feel about your life with him and it would be public to the world. perhaps think of a nifty way to show him you made that for him, like write the link on a website and then put it in the wallet (ha!) or inside a CD case or something.

for the FIL, if he loves dogs, make him a customized photo frame. either a dog shape frame, or get pictures of his dog and use the collage as the frame itself. as for reading, make him a bookmark. post it's to mark certain places in the book. a new pen (i've seen wooden ones and what not) to mark in his book. also, i've seen small cutesy books at stores like hallmark and barnes & noble, perhaps something that they'd enjoy? i know they have all sorts. once I got a girlfriend a belly dancing one that came with the little bells you dance with and all that.

i have a friend who etches glass in shot glasses, mugs, travel mugs, etc. maybe a personalized shot glass if you all enjoy drinking? if yall do, then there's mixes, glasses, shots, little bottles of liquor you could use.

what about a leather necklace? for the BIL, find something army-related to attach to it. or a dog for the FIL! haha! joking, but still.  My boyfriend would sometimes steal a small pocket mirror i have to trim his beard in the shower.. maybe something like that, but masculine? new razors would be good too.

good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
princessblueberry
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009 03:48:52 PM »

Thanks for all the ideas, I think I've finally decided on a coffee mug, small pack of coffee, and one of those mini bottles of booze to go in said coffee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
margiej
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009 07:17:31 PM »

how about making a polymer clay circle with  handprint of your child,  and then forming it into a shallow bowl for paperclips, etc bake it and paint it.  or a cute paperweight.  How about a new belt?  Or a drawstring tote bag for packing shoes when traveling?  Or a fanny pack or wrist or ankle wallet for when doing sports.  Or a coffee cup or can Kozy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Must See Looks From Cannes Film Festival
#MyModamobStyle Featured Reader @Negin_Mirsalehi
Hottest Swimwear Under the Sun For a Steal
5 Ways To Wear A Printed Pencil Skirt
Get Excited for Cannes Film Festival Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...