A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,485
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Reversible Purse party creation revisited with detailed  (Read 30429 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ihearttrees

i don't want no porkchop just give me gin instead

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2005 07:09:51 PM »

hi friends.. this is my first tutorial i've posted on craftster, kind of went overboard with the pictures but oh well. I loved the squared bottom bag i made at our little purse making party so much i made another one the next day. I used the same strip fabric but used brown for the lining instead and braided hemp handles. This version is way more my style and really was the true vision of what i had in mind for this fabric. I think i shall sell the other one:) any takers?? ha... anyway onto the good stuff.... here is what you will need. (NOTE: these measurements are what i used due to the amount of the stripe fabric i had left. you can change the size to fit your own needs)

cut (2) 8"x15" rectangles of the stripe
cut (2) 11"x15" rectangles of the brown lining
cut (2) 3"x15" strips of the brown for the contrasting band along the top of the purse
cut (2) handle straps 18" long or desired length (i used braided hemp i bought by the yard but you could sew fabric handles of a complimentary fabric if you wish)

2.) sew strips of brown, right sides facing together, to the top of the stripe panels

3.) press open seams

4.)with right sides together, sew the stripe panels together on three sides leaving the top (brown) edge open

5.) with right sides together sew brown panels together as well on three sides leaving top edge open

6.)Lay the two sewn pieces on top of eachother and trim off any excess- you want your two pieces (outside and lining) to match up perfectly

7.)this part is a little tricky, i hope the photo illustrates it well enough. you're going to take the striped pieces you've just sewn together and pull on both sides to pull out a triangle on the corner. I'm sorry i don't really know how to explain this well. You are making your square bottom in this step. (the seam that runs up and down is the bottom edge of the bag if you can picture that) You'll want to mark a line on the wrong side about 2 inches down from the point and sew across.

8.) after sewing across the corners your bag should look like this

9.) Do this on the lining as well and trim the points off, leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch along the seam

10.)now you can turn the outside (stripe) piece right side out and place the lining inside of it. You do this just to make sure your edges line up well. Staring to look like a real purse!!

11.)Now you are going to want to iron down a hem (no need to sew or pin) along the top of both your outside and lining pieces. Making sure that when the two are top stitched together that the seams are hidden on the inside (NOTE: this is when you would want to add any pockets or additional embellishments to your bag or lining. I didn't sew on pockets to this version. After making the first one, i realized I am the kind of girl that just throws things in my purse and doesnt use little pockets Smiley but they are definetly cute for show even if you don't use them)

12.) Approaching the finish line! Now insert the lining into your outside part of the bag and mark 4 inches from each side seam (4 marks) This is where you will place your straps. Pin them in place about an inch down from the top edge between the bag and lining.

13.) Now for your last step, I like to start pinning at the side edge seams just in case your measurements are a little off and your lining doesnt match up exactly. Pin all the way around and top stitch the hem securing your straps and finishing your bag!

Now you have a fabulous finished bag that is totally reversible!!! I love this bag and it is so quick and easy to make!! Made this one in about 50 minutes. I hope this tutorial is helpful enough, please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer as best I can... happy sewing!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009 12:40:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiki*eks
"Alis volat propiis"

if i'm online i am procrastinating

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005 09:33:49 PM »

Cute tote and nice detailed tutorial Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pink Ladies Pledge is to act cool, to look cool and to be cool, till death do us part, Think Pink!
mwarda
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005 06:18:08 AM »

what a wonderful bag....how did you every learn to do such wonderful things.  this is great.  you are so talented....Keep up the great desigsn and projhects. 

Love, the one who made you.....Guess who. 

(The mom)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Irisheyez
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005 03:56:01 PM »

What a wonderfully written tutorial....Thank you so much for sharing it....Love your reversible bag and can't wait to try to make one....Smiley  Sheila[/font][/size]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty fiend
Where is the kid with the chemicals?

Take a look at me now.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005 10:46:57 PM »

i adore this bag!

i was wondering where you got your braided hemp.. i want to do something like this, and i want to know where i can get some handles that are sturdy and stylish..

great work. i love the colors!!

Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe that lovers should be chained together and thrown into the ocean in the worst of weather. And left there to drown, and left there to drown in their innocence.
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005 10:51:45 PM »

CA-UTE! *adds to ever growing list of "cool things to make"* Now....if I could only find a lot of time so I could start checking things off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005 09:52:45 AM »

THAT'S HOT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
sivi
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005 02:01:29 PM »

love your bag and fabric.  I am going to try it.  Thanks for the tutorail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ihearttrees

i don't want no porkchop just give me gin instead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005 12:08:39 PM »

crafty fiend- sadly i must report i bought the braided hemp by the yard at ...o it pains me to say: walmart, Quite unfortunately the walmart here in athens closed down another favorite store of mine- joann fabrics, so the only place to buy fabric and craft supply is the evil coroporation. I like the handles though- although i would recommend if you find some to use that you put fabric on the side that would be touching your shoulders- mine are a little scratchy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GIJane
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005 12:55:28 PM »

Ahhh... I just had to say that I saw a lot of reversible bags pictures/tutorials, but yours is simply the CUTESTRoll Eyes

your the 2nd one today taht just might have "made me" 1 Xmas gift...  Cheesy

thanks for the tut!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hair Toner with Household Products
Meet Celebrity Hairstylist Serge Normant
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Crushes
How to Change a Bad Hair Day Into a Good Hair Day
How to Accessorize Your Big Chop
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...