A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
840 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions (non-design, technical) - decorating a vinyl/pleather bag  (Read 2982 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rowenlynn

pie makes it all better...

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2009 04:02:19 PM »

Hiya fellow craftsters

I have this bag I got to be all professional-looking with, but the dullness is killing me!

So I want to add...something to it, like paint something on it or a fabric applique. I have a few ideas. But, I've never dealt with vinyl/pleather. And since the bag's...made, I don't have extra material to just try these techniques on. So, anyone who has any experience, please advise me on:

-gluing fabric on vinyl/pleather - Is it possible? What type of glue would of recommend?
-painting on vinyl/pleather - Acrylic? Thinned with water? Or matte medium? Spray paints? Oils?

Thanks all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009 10:41:34 AM »

I can't give proper information about those questions now, but may I suggest something different?   Just in case you like the idea:

I'm thinking it'd be easier to secure an adornment -let's say a pleather or fabric 3-d flower (easy to make by just putting together two or three layers of a flat one) by making a tiny hole on the bag just where you want to put it.  Line the hole with an eyelet and use thread, cord or wire, depending on what you want, to stick the adornment there, passing the thread through the eyelet.  Then tie the thread to a 2-holed button in the innner side.  This will prevent the material from deteriorating and it will be difficult for the adornment to fall or loosen.  And when you get tired of that embellishment, you can easily change it -you'll have a versatile bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
sewnutzz
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009 10:58:11 AM »

I agree with Soorawn,
Adding a 3 dimensional embellishment will be easier and you are less likely to have a problem like flaking paint, or messing up and not being able to get all of the paint out.  You could use buttons, tassels (like across the top for a closure), silk flowers, litterally anything you can dream up. 

Plus, if you make it removable, you can change the adornment to compliment your outfit, or leave it off for those times you have to be uber professional.

Have fun with it.
Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009 06:20:07 PM »

I agree with adding a 3 dimensional embellishment to the bag.  How about some a fun and colorful scarf woven through the handle rings? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
rowenlynn

pie makes it all better...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009 06:45:52 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions guys.

But the main reason I want an applique or paint  is the handles have worn down at the rings and one snapped. I planned to replace the straps (with a cute fabric straps with trigger clips on their ends) and I really want to use the fabric to additionally decorate the bag itself, or use paint of a coordinating color.

Maybe the eyelet idea would work....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009 11:27:32 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aMsS-_hC88

One of the coolest series of videos for painting on leather/vinyl. She does it for a living and says the paints wear insanely well over time. There are multiple videos, and I recommend watching them all before jumping in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Reflections in Photoshop
How to Create Actions in Photoshop
How to Backup Your Photos on Location
How to Create a Web Photo Gallery in Photoshop
Color Management for the Web in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...