A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,339
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tunisian Knit Stitch scarves  (Read 2314 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , scarf , knitting_loom , tunisian_crochet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2009 12:23:53 PM »

I've been making hats and scarf sets a lot lately for a charity project my Mom is part of; these are intended to go to young school-aged children.

Now, the hats are loom knit on my Knifty Knitter set.  Actually, come to think of it, I made these on my Mom's KK set; mine is still packed away somewhere.  So there was a bit of a question as to where to put these pictures, but the decision was an easy one. 

A.) The scarves are way more interesting, in my opinion and
B.) There is no knitting loom board

The story:

I don't like making scarves on the knitting looms.  It's not hard to do, I just find it annoying; and if I don't want the scarf to curl up into a narrow tube, I need to pay way too much attention for something as easy as a scarf!  We're trying to get lots of these finished before the cold weather hits, so... a solution was needed.

Mr.fantastic's sister had sent me a very large Tunisian hook; it's a 15mm made of wood.  I was eyeing it the other day and started to wonder if it would be a good size to work with Patons Melody, which is one of the yarns I was using for the hats.  The ball band says to use 10mm knitting needles, but I'd tried a 10mm crochet hook about a year ago and ended up with a ridiculously tight, thick fabric.  I tried the new hook out.  It worked well!  Nice drape!

Then I got to thinking... if I used the Tunisian Knit stitch, it might just look like the hats made on the loom.  Close enough, anyway!

Here it is done in a different colour, for clarity:

Here are some sets I made:

(the brown set was made using two strands of Bernat Soft Boucle held together)

Here is a quick explanation of the Tunisian Knit stitch which will really only make sense if you already know how to do the Tunisian simple stitch (usually that's the one you learn first) :

chain the number of stitches you want
lift a loop up in each chain, as normal
work the loops off, as normal

on all subsequent rows:
Instead of inserting the hook behind the vertical bar, insert it front to back inbetween the vertical bar at the front and the vertical bar at the back, then pull the yarn through the piece, from back to front.

The striped scarves were made using the 3-way Tunisian technique, where you use three strands of yarn (in these cases, two black, and one red or purple).  You basically work the loops on in strand A, off in strand B, on in stand C, off in strand A, and so on.  Basically, when you get to either end of the work, drop the strand you're using and pick up which ever one is there waiting for you.

I'll take pictures of the knit stitch on the next scarf if people want to see them. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009 12:31:53 PM »

Those are amazing fantasticmio!

I'm about to wander into the land of puff and Tunisian stitches. Your scarves are beautiful enough to be an inspiration. Smiley

Is there a link somewhere to your mom's charity project? After the holidays, I would love to do something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009 12:36:54 PM »

Thanks Troublet!

I'll ask Mom again, but she didn't have any contact information for me the last time I asked.  She's in a sorority called Beta Sigma Phi, and one of the other members of her chapter found this charity.  From what I understand, it's just a woman (not in their group) who started collecting hats/scarves/mittens and distributing them to schools as needed.

Seeing as I can't figure out how to find this woman on my own and I know she exists, I'm not sure what to recommend for you to find someone in your area.  Maybe call the local schools?  *shrug*

You could always do a Google search for your city and "charity knits", or something like that.  Find out if they have any requirements as far as yarn and sizing go, and you'll be all set. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009 01:26:37 PM »

... From what I understand, it's just a woman (not in their group) who started collecting hats/scarves/mittens and distributing them to schools as needed.

Seeing as I can't figure out how to find this woman on my own and I know she exists, I'm not sure what to recommend for you to find someone in your area.  Maybe call the local schools?  *shrug*

I'm a teacher so I bet with minimal digging, I can find info on a program like this. Given the economy and the recent flooding down here, it shouldn't be too hard to find a similar project. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Short Stories and Textual Evidence Analysis
Characterization and Archetype Analysis
Short Stories and Plot Analysis
Short Stories and Theme Analysis
Short Stories and Setting Analysis
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...