A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's Play "What's Under This Hideous Tile?" (Updated!)  (Read 3858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009 09:36:49 PM »

Assuming you are talking about smaller sanders hurting your hand, you can rent giant sanders designed specifically for refinishing hardwood floors.  They get the job done pretty quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009 07:55:51 AM »

Seems like a waste of money to rent a giant sander for a six foot by two foot space.  I wonder if there's anything in between.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twodustyboots
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009 09:15:43 AM »

Well, the only other options you have are hand sanding or chemical strippers.  With chemical strippers, the job goes fast, but you have to let everything settle out before you can finish.  And you still have to do some sanding, especially between coats of finish.

If you are renting and do not intend to stay, then you can strip and sand.  Then just a couple light coats of finish, followed by wax.  Not too much work involved there.
I just saw an example of chemical stripping on the DIY network online. It looks so simple but I can barely stand the smell of scented shampoos so I think I would have to find someone to do it for me. Hmm, guess it's time to flirt with my single neighbors Grin just kidding (sort of!) What I'd like to do is use something non-toxic to strip up the glue and goo (if that sort of thing exists) then sand, stain, and seal. And do it cheaply.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009 02:00:10 PM »

I don't know of any chemical stripper that doesn't have a ghastly smell.  I can't use them, myself for that reason.  You might want to look at the Formby's formula.  It's probably the least toxic that I know of.  If the finish isn't too heavy, you might try using rubbing alcohol, just to rough it up a bit, then sand with a 200 grit sandpaper, followed by a 400 grit paper.  That should get you close enough to put on a decent glossover finish.  It's not perfect, but it will get you there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009 10:11:02 PM »

Oh good luck!  I hope you post pictures when it's done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009 06:25:36 PM »

If you sand that door, be sure to use at least a dust mask... if the house is old there is likely some lead paint on there somewhere. Make sure to clean up as much of the dust and larger particles as you can so you don't transfer it with your feet and animals and kids don't ingest it.  If the paint is bubbling a lot you may be able to remove a lot of it with a basic scraper which is hard work, but doesn't vibrate like a sander and takes off larger chunks of paint that's easier to pick up and harder to breathe in.

There is an orange-scented stripper that doesn't smell good, per se, but does smell like really strong orange-like stuff. Again a respirator will come in handy and eliminate the scent while you wear it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RuneAriala
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009 07:23:17 AM »

Bona makes a non-toxic variety of refinisher/top coat, so that might be worth looking in to.  I know they sell it at Ace Hardware, and possibly also Lowe's (not sure what's available in your area).  I've never sniffed it, so really not sure if it might still have some smell to it.   We also got a cheap hand rotary sander at Harbor Freight for something like $30, which we have been using to sand down the subfloor while putting in our hardwoods (alas, nothing was under our carpet except OSB!  Cry ).  That might work pretty well, assuming they sell a really fine, fine grit sandpaper.  I would also watch Craigslist in your area, you might be able to pick up one pretty cheap if you don't have a Harbor Freight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twodustyboots
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009 09:55:34 AM »

Well, for now the project is stalled. I recently informed my landlord of the wonderful find (of hardwood floors throughout the building) and while he thinks that is great, he is completely uninterested in putting any money or work into it.   I am probably not going to do anything until spring, because it is already fall here and VERY cold, and is only going to get colder. There is no heat on the landing. Darn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009 11:25:07 AM »

It's so interesting to do a little domestic archeology, isn't it?  If you do decide to tear that out down to the wood (is it hardwood or softwood, it's unusual for hardwood to be in bathrooms) be careful with the old linoleum tiles - asbestos is not an uncommon ingredient in them and unless you can get them up w/o breaking the tiles you'll likely liberate the asbestos if it's in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twodustyboots
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009 11:37:59 AM »

It's so interesting to do a little domestic archeology, isn't it?  If you do decide to tear that out down to the wood (is it hardwood or softwood, it's unusual for hardwood to be in bathrooms) be careful with the old linoleum tiles - asbestos is not an uncommon ingredient in them and unless you can get them up w/o breaking the tiles you'll likely liberate the asbestos if it's in there.

"domestic archeology" - I love that! A perfect description.  It is hardwood in the bathroom (I was able to see large pieces of it in the closet) and I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been a bathroom, as the apartment I live in is merely the top floor of a small old house.  But now I'm a little freaked because I didn't use any mask when I pulled up the tiles on the landing.  Yikes- I had no idea about the asbestos. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it is astonishing how many places asbestos can be (and how many building materials it can be in.) Good to know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wrap Flowers
How to Gift Wrap a CD
How to Gift Wrap Small Items
How to Wrap Gift Baskets
How to Wrap a Box Shaped Gift
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...