A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sophia Loren Stencil w/tutorial  (Read 91140 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2004 07:46:58 PM »

For those of you who don't have Photoshop, try going to your local library and using their computers... they sometimes have it loaded. If that doesn't work out, a local community college might let you use their computer lab.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
natybrat
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2004 01:23:07 PM »

Question...

I'm new at this, and I haven't tried stencilling yet but I really want to, it looks soooo cool!

Okay well, when I wanna print out my design....does it matter what kind of stuff I print it on? Like, what would work best.. regular transparency from office max, or acetate (something like that, how would I find that?) I don't know...

And also, what's the best kind of paint to use? I think I read around here acrylic paint.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2004 02:53:32 PM »

I think if you read through the rest of this thread, you will find answers to your questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Le Conducteur
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2004 11:30:33 AM »

I just found out that Google has an actual google images search.

I found some great photos of people and things I'd like to use for stencils.  Especially some ideas I've had about making construction t-shirts for girls!

I also like imdb for pix of actresses and actors and such.  There's a really great picture of Maggie Gyllenhaal on there that I'd love to use...but is it weird to use a photo of a current young actress?  Like a nouveau indie classic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2004 12:19:45 PM »

I just found out that Google has an actual google images search.

I found some great photos of people and things I'd like to use for stencils.  Especially some ideas I've had about making construction t-shirts for girls!

I also like imdb for pix of actresses and actors and such.  There's a really great picture of Maggie Gyllenhaal on there that I'd love to use...but is it weird to use a photo of a current young actress?  Like a nouveau indie classic?

that would be uber hip and really unusual!! cos everyone else is doing the vintage thing... you should go for it. and let us see pics!!

am loving the google image search, too. only just discovered it a few months back (another thanks to craftster!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
neerajax
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2004 02:45:48 PM »

absolutely gorgeous and positively inspiring. this newbie is happy to have discovered crafster.org.

I too have a question about the acrylic-vinegar set--do you iron over the towel when it's wet of vinegar, or do you let it dry a little?

--N
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emilygrace
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2004 08:36:49 AM »

By the way, for those of you who don't have photoshop- you can download a trial copy here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp

I'm not sure how long the trial period is, but it should be long enough to make a bunch of stencil images.

-emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2004 09:14:04 AM »

A few additions to the great information posted to this thread:

At most craft stores you should be able to find stencil glue (Ive seen it in both spray and applicator form), which is strong enough to keep a stencil in place but low tack enough that it wont harm the surface being decorated.

Using acetate (or a transparency) instead of card for your stencil will help reduce bleeding.

You can turn most pictures high contrast by playing with them on a photocopy machine.  It takes at least a couple of generations (making a copy of a copy of a copy, etc.), if not more, but can yield excellent results.

Also, using Microsoft Word you can paste a picture into a "blank" document and easily adjust it to black and white which will give you a high contrast image.  Click on the image to highlight it and a new little toolbar called Picture will open.  Click the button for color (in my version of Word its the second from the left) and choose black & white.  The photo will intantly turn high contrast.  Make the image whatever size you want by clicking on one corner and dragging out or in.  I did this with the same picture yardenxanthe found on imdb:

to  

Easy peasy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2004 10:36:41 PM »

^^^I did some exploring on WordPerfect, the program I use, and figured out that you can do it on WP, too. Thanks, I probably would have never even tried  Tongue.

For WordPerfect:
Highlight the image, right click and select "edit image." Then go to "image tools" under the "Tools" menu, and play around with the contrast and the "Black and White" option until you get what you want.

--Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2004 10:42:11 PM »

ACK!!!! I wanna try this stuff sooo bad!

Not having a printer SUX bum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
After Effects - Dead Planet
After Effects - Set Extentions
How to Add Demon Face Warp in After Effects
How to Transform Day to Night in After Effects
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...