A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sophia Loren Stencil w/tutorial  (Read 94129 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yardenxanthe
« on: February 27, 2004 01:57:14 PM »

I've been wanting to make a stencil for awhile.  It probably began when I read the Obeygiant.com website several months ago.  I don't have any social experiments to do, and I'm not that street punk (as most of you probably know), but the whole stencil thing seemed fun.

So, I finally made one today.  It was a lot easier than I thought it would be!  I randomly came across a photo of Sophia Loren yesterday when I was looking at the IMDB that I thought might make a neat stencil.

So the picture from the IMDB was fairly ideal because it has enough contrast, shadows and light.  So I pasted it into Photoshop and did my favorite thing to it -- adjusted the threshold to make it into a two-toned picture.  (In Photoshop:  Image/Adjustments/Threshold and then slide the bar up and down until you get contrast that looks right).

Here's what I came up with.  I was going to cut out all the black parts on my stencil, so I had to make sure there were no isolated white islands anywhere (because if I cut out the black, the white islands would fall out, too), so I connected a few spots where there were white islands (you can tell -- I did it on those weird highlights on her hair).

I enlarged the picture because it's a teeny-tiny 72dpi picture, so of course, the enlargement was pixelated.  I figured I could make up for it when I cut the picture out by cutting smoothly.  

I printed this picture on cardstock.  Then I used an exacto knife (on a kitchen cutting board) to cut out the black parts (I started with the less-important parts and saved the eyes for last, because I figured I could use a little practice before I did those.)

Here's my stencil all cut out (yep, AFTER I already used it).  I used a brayer (one of those rolly rubber things you use for printmaking) and spread my black acrylic paint out on some aluminum foil and mixed in some water.  (If you don't have a brayer, you could use a paintbrush, a sponge, spray paint, or anything else you can come up with).

I taped the stencil on a t-shirt and held my breath and started rolling paint over it, carefully trying not to bend those little parts that stick out on the stencil.

It took a bit of paint to get an evenish covering, and it might be better to make a stencil out of something less thick than cardstock... a transparency, maybe?

So here's a close up of how it turned out.  I think it looks pretty cool!  (Her eyes are still pretty pixelated, but I think it looks neat, anyway).  It turned out pretty well, I'd say!  Stencilling is definitely fun and pretty easy.

This is the placement of the stencil on the t-shirt.  I put the black part over a stain.  Hee.

If I wanted to be really punk rock, I would have put the stencil on the bottom corner of the shirt or something. But, as I already said, I'm not that street punk, and if I would have put it on the bottom corner, I would still have a shirt with a stain on it, right?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010 12:36:49 AM by yardenxanthe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004 02:05:52 PM »

i think it came out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004 02:06:18 PM »

ooooh, pretty.
i am amazed at how much detail you got out of that picture.
you are quite handy with an exacto, yardenxanthe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yardenxanthe
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004 02:18:18 PM »

Someone on LJ pointed out that it might have been better to leave the hand out of the picture -- she said it's distracting.  I think she's right.  If I use this stencil again, I'll tape over the hand part!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004 02:26:59 PM »

hmmm...i wonder if that might detract from her lovely profile?  though by the lips alone, you know it was her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sporkie
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004 10:02:12 AM »

Did you use regular ol' acrylic paint?  I was wondering if it wouldn't be easier to use sticky contact paper and then just heavy-duty spray paint or something.  I'm not sure how the spray paint would work, and obviously using it on a stencil like yours, it would go underneath, hence the need for a sticky-backed paper.

Hmmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004 05:28:44 AM »

I used regular acrylic paint (haven't tried washing it yet), but you could use whatever you want!  

Some people use spray glue or glue stick (?) to attach the stencil to the thing they're stencilling.  

Try it and report the results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dewey

A true friend stabs you in the front - O. Wilde

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004 06:43:22 PM »

If people don't have photo shop try colouring over the image with a Sharpie...it works pretty well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dewey

A true friend stabs you in the front - O. Wilde

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004 06:45:54 PM »

I used regular acrylic paint (haven't tried washing it yet), but you could use whatever you want!  

Some people use spray glue or glue stick (?) to attach the stencil to the thing they're stencilling.  

Try it and report the results!

I always use screen paint for my shirts...but that's because I'm terrified of them getting wrecked in the wash

I'd handwash your shirt the first time as I am unsure with the acrylic paint..maybe put it in the dryer or iron it first to try to heat set?

Excellent image by the way
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004 07:01:09 PM »

Heads up on the acrylic paint--
All you have to do is soak a paper towel in vinegar, place over the paint, and steam iron until dry. It will set the paint PERMANENTLY. And, if the paint isn't too thick, it won't even crack. There is also a product called StaSet that will do the same. Works great, but stinks worse than the vinegar... but you can machine wash and dry without fear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Center Holds by Jonathan Alter
5 Ways to Slow Aging in Your 20s
One Question From The Master Interviewer: Ken Coleman
Why Books Are the Hardest Addiction to Quit
Tao Lin on the Economic Problems of Being a Writer
Latest Blog Articles
Quoth The Raven
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...