A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warm winter pea coat WITHOUT wool! Fabric suggestions?  (Read 1137 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Silly

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2009 06:40:28 PM »

Hello everyone.  I'm a vegan, and as such I don't eat, buy or wear anything with any animal products.  This includes leather, silk and wool.  I really like well-structured, tailored winter coats like pea coats.  I am a wimp in the cold, so I want something really warm and insulating.  Wool and animal fibers are best since they are made for keeping a body warm, but I'm hoping I can find an alternative.  I am more than willing to sew my own coat (but will also buy if you know of anything!)  I'd like to avoid polyester and polar fleece in favor of natural fibers, but not sure if that's possible.

I was also thinking I could make it in cotton (maybe a twill) or hemp and lining it, but I'm not sure how to line it for warmth, either.

ANY tips are greatly appreciated!  I've never sewn for warmth before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

By the way, I never liked your face.
MissRachel
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009 07:35:29 PM »

I'm in the same boat. I am making a winter coat out of velboa but don't know what to line it with so that it's thick and cozy for the cold snowy days. Anyway, denim or twill would be a good choice. Only downside is they're not hydrophobic, but they are warm and made of natural fibers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009 09:09:25 AM »

I'd go for cotton and line it with more cotton.  Hemp seems to me on the cool side.
As for the velboa, I think it is a great idea, since it is a fantastic, soft, warm fabric.  100% polyester though.  Not a single natural fiber in it.  If you're ok with that, then just use batting to line your coat and you'll be really warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009 11:39:21 PM »

A lot of cheap pea coats are made with no natural fibers at all, just polyester. Look up thinsulate. I think voguefabrics.com sells it. The properties of wool are hard to mimic. It stays warm even while wet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009 04:18:21 PM »

Have you checked into felt?  I'm sure that there are felts now that aren't made from wool, and I think there are types of fleece that have thinsulate-type treatments on them.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Time of Day in Digital Photography
Digital Zoom Tips
Digital Camera Exposure Basics
Outdoor Photography Tips
Camera Aperture Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...