A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help picking a die cutter  (Read 1291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

geekycraftgrl
« on: September 26, 2009 06:59:18 AM »

I have been thinking about getting a die cutting machine, but I am a bit confused because there seems to be so many.
I dont want one that works with a computer, so that cuts a few out.
I would like to know if there is a machine that will work with any of the dies from any company. i would like to be able to cut paper, card, felt/fabric.

I hope that makes sense.
thanks I look forward to your input. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DontLookDown
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009 09:04:26 AM »

I started out with a Sizzix sidekick, mainly because it was cheap - but it's small and will only cut with the smaller dies.  I very quickly upgraded to a Cuttlebug, which can take dies from any manufacturer (I believe the Sizzix Big Shot will also take different dies, although i think the sandwiches you need to make with the cutting plates are a bit more complicated). 

The material that you can cut depends really on the actual die that you are using.  The thin dies (sizzlits etc) will cut paper, card, and thin felt and so on.  The bigger, thicker dies will cut felt, leather, chipboard etc. 

Hope that helps. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009 12:40:17 AM »

I am a die cutter junkie but I am cutting waaay back on them, lol. It's just become too much. I have a Cuttlebug and it does take most dies. The new Stampin Up Sizzix dies can be tricky but you can get them to work with a few tweaks. I love my Cuttlebug since I have all the recipes memorized. I will probably not buy any SU Dies since I can recreate them and cut them with one of my computer die cutters.

I am going to recommend the Sizzix Big Shot or Big Kick for you. They are the same exact machine. No differences at all. If you go to Sizzix.com they will tell you the same thing. Each of these machines take all the dies and embossing plates. They cut on lots of materials and have more pounds of pressure than the Cuttlebug.

I did have a Big Kick but I gave it to my Mom since I am attached to my Cuttlebug. I did like my Big Kick. You don't have to suction it down like the CB. It is a nice sturdy machine. She works great.

BigKick- You can use coupons at all your major crafting stores for it. It comes in Red and White.

BigShot- Comes in Hello Kitty, a beautiful Black and Pink and even has an electric one that you can plug in that is not computerized. This is great if you have issues with your hands like Carpal Tunnel, Arthritis, etc... They also have a Stampin Up version.

Sorry I keep mentioning SU I am not a demo or anything and hardly by their products but I want to include all the machines since it's really important. Especially since SU just released the Build A Bears dies. I know some people reading this will want to buy them.

If you go to Sizzix's site and then click on their link to their Ebay outlet you can find some great deals. There is another one that is Blue but made by Ellison that will be on the Ebay outlet site. It's the same machine too. Ellison and Sizzix used to be partners and had a breakup. Big silly drama a few years ago that was kind of funny.

If you wait awhile there is going to be a new Sizzix released that cuts 12x12 dies. I will tell you those are going to be outrageously expensive and the die cutter is not cheap either retailing at $300. It is another option.

Quilter's I would recommend the AccuCut machine. It is very, very, very expensive and very, very, very heavy. The price is around $500 and the machine weighs around 150. These were the machines we used in school like back in the 1980's when we used to decorate the bulletin boards. They make a great quilting die cutter.

Most mixed media artists are very happy with their BigKick or BigShot. They can cut out polymer clay, thin leather, vinyl, tins, fabrics, etc...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
geekycraftgrl
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009 06:15:49 AM »

Thanks very much for the info. It has been helpful in my research.
I have decided on a Bigshot. I have found one at my local hobbycraft store, unfortunately here in the UK the shops never do a money off coupon.

Thanks again  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beekeebear
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010 08:37:44 AM »

I have the Sizzix Sidekick and have used it for a couple years. I like it. My sister has a regular Sizzix and we can share some dies, which is nice. (Actually, she can use my dies, I guess, with a modifier block.)

However, I was recently gifted a Cricut personal cutter. I can't believe how much more flexibility it has!! The best is being able to size the die to whatever size you need. AWESOME!! I've only used it a half dozen or so times now, and I only have two cartidges. But of course now my sister has one, too, and she has 3 cartridges, so we'll definitely be sharing!!

If you plan on using it a lot, I'd recommend the Cricut.

Biggest drawback--it's expensive. But watch for sales and you can get some decent deals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pureology Precious Oil Review
Clarins BB Skin Perfecting Cream SPF 25 Review
Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration After Sun Review
Shiseido Sun Protection Compact Foundation Review
Hampton Sun SPF 35 Luxe Sport Continuous Mist Sunscreeen Review
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...