A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Sock knitting  (Read 1323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2005 01:42:38 PM »

Can anyone reccomend some vegan sock yarn that will knit up to a gague of 32 sts and 44 rnds = 4"  on size 2 needles?  I want to make the retro rib socks in the winter '04 Interweave Knits.  I see that Bernat Sock yarn may work, but I'm not crazy about the colors.

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005 11:29:36 PM »

look for a cotton/syntheitic blend- i think elann.com has a couple right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005 07:31:06 AM »

Yeah, Elann has the Schoeller Esslinger Fortissima.  It's a cotton/nylon blend.  They've got a few colors left. 

Katia makes a cotton/acrylic sock-weight yarn that has some KILLER color combos:
http://www.yarnmarket.com/product.cfm?action=show_product&product_id=698

It's too bad you don't like the colors of the Bernat Sox.  Maybe you could do some experimenting with dying the white.  For a cheap synthetic, it's actually pretty nice to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005 10:06:47 AM »

Oh.. dying it would be fun!  I did see the yarn at elann and I wasn't sure about the gauge.  Lothruin, I did order the katia and I'll be sure to review it on my site when it comes in.  I love the colorways and the gauge is just right!

Thanks for the ideas and support guys!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005 09:18:42 PM »

not a problem.

i was looking at your blog btw and i think your analysis on silk, wool, etc are very good! how people define vegan vs vegetarian vs. etc is always very interesting to me since i beleive in crafting with the ethics i choose- the same as for what i eat and wear. 

I also find it very interesting wether or not people agree with the animal friendly or recycled as being ok if they are vegan.  Though personally it always confuses the heck out of me to have someone tell me they are a (lacto-ovo-) vegatarrian while they eat altoids or starbursts.  ahh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005 09:45:28 PM »

I really appreciate your feedback, midnightsky.  So many people are really negative about the whole thing, including people that are very close to me.  It's hard for me to understand what is so threatening or upsetting to people when they find out that i'm striving for a vegan lifestyle.  What's so scary about compassion?  i don't get it.

I know that I am not 'techincally' a vegan as some of the hard-core vegans define it.  The way I see it, and several other vegans i know, is that as long as you are doing as much as you can to reduce suffering, within your means, then you are doing your part.  Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of compassion for worms.  I'm really trying, but I just can't make myself avoid silk completely.  My main goal is to go cruelty-free as much as possible.  i know that cotton and other synthetics do harm the environment.  I try to account for that, but if I only knit organically, I'd be severly limited.  The only 2 yarns i can think of right now are Cotton industry's organic cotton and organic (ethical) alpaca.  i hope that the market grows for organics, and i think it will, but that will be a while.
Right now I eat 90% vegan.  I say 90% to account for all the chemicals and scientific names i can't understand on some of the non-organic items i buy.  I do buy organic whenever i can, but it's not easy in Louisiana. Cajun culture has quite a bit of trouble understanding veg*n foods, organics, or most things healthy.

I think using recycled yarns as a vegan can be a confusing message.  I would hope that people who know a person who is vegan and wearing wool (or any animal product) would just ask, so they can understand that it's not directly bought from the industry.  I would say that it would be better to leave the wool and such in the thrift stores, so that someone who may usually buy new wool would get the second hand wool instead.  It may keep them from buying a new wool sweater later on.  (I hope that didn't come out as confusing as it seems. Smiley 
Anyhow, i guess i'm staggering off-topic here, but i do appreciate your comments!

~atouria
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005 10:41:12 PM »

Yea im lucky to live in a state that has a TON of veg*n people and lots of organic and all natural products (i live in WA) so while people may not "get it" that i dont eat meat its not as big a deal.  People do have a problem with understanding why im vegetarian though- since its a mix of health reasons and ethics.

Healthwise, they find it hard to beleive i dont need to eat meat...but i was having bloodtests for about 6 mnths before and after i started and they showed i was a LOT healthier than i had been- more protien and iron, and i wasnt anemic anymore.  Not much my mom and dad (both in the medical profession) could say after one of my doctors told me i was a lot healthier.   My only problem now related to beign vegetarian is making sure i get enough calories, since i lost a lot of weight after i became vegetarian (not good or bad, but i just cant lose more etc).

TO me, the ethics is harder to explain to people since  my reasoning is based on ecofeminist thought, and to make a very long explanation short, i dont eat anything but the occasional meat and dairy because i live in a society with the means that i dont need to.  I dont push it on other people because i beleive in personal/free choice and that not everyone has access to the alternatives.  For example, i wont tell a person living in africa that they cant kill an animal that they need for food to live (but then again, in that circumsance they could also quite probably be killing an animal from the wild in which case it has a chance, isnt being raised just for food, and its a little bit "more fiar" as the people are more in touch with their surroundings).  ecofem is a lot more then that, but thats just a really general example.    for ecofems the mind is divided between the body (world) and mind (humynity)m and that dualism that exists between the mind and body is bad since it sets up a heirarchy, which we need to break down!

micropolitics-have you heard of it? micropolitics is the idea that the individual makes the difference.  SPecifically that each step you take makes a differnce (re: dont feel guilty if you cant be totallly veg*n), and that individual action and teaching is the best way to make change (because larger groups get coopted and tend to be divided on issues, so even just talking to people about your ideas can be better- it gets you/them thinking!)

Look for henry's attic organic cotton. Its a little softly spun, but for lighter wear garmets its absolutely divine and quite light weight! And it comesin the natural colors (white, brown, green, green or brown plied with white).

Interesting point about the wool sweater- i would agree, though i tend to see that a lot of the people who shop in thrift stores around here might not be buying wool sweaters in stores anyways (i just deconstruct them...and silk shirts...i think i have one of almost everyshade of silk shirt now Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005 06:36:52 AM »

I am really impressed with your lifestyle, midnightsky.  I have never heard of ecofems or micro politics; it sounds fascinating and I'd love to hear more about it.  If you feel like telling me more through emails or on here or sending me links to sites with more info, I'd be really grateful. 

I haven't heard of Henrys attic.  It does sound similar to the pakucho cotton grown in Peru.  Is his cotton grown naturally in those colors as well?

Ethics/morals are  hard for me to explain to people as well.  All I try to illustrate is compassion and they just don't get it.  It must be wonderful to live near so many organic sources.  Our Krogers has a modest supply of organic fruits, veggies, and processed foods.  Unfortunately, we don't have any natural food stores in this area that I'm aware of.  Whenever we go out of town, I always bring an ice chest, just in case i find a natural store Smiley

Are you familiar with the way angora goats are treated?  I'm interested in participating in the Triada-along from the summer iw knits. http://triadaalong.blogdrive.com/  The yarn used is Fiesta La Boheme.  it's kid mohair and nylon.  i know more about wool than I do about mohair.  I've been reading this 'faq' about angora goats from the USDA and it seems that they need a lot of pampering to produce the type of mohair that is found to be quality.  Does anyone know more about how they are treated?

Here's the USDA article: http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Topic/AgrEnv/ndd/goat/ANGORA_GOATS.html

If theyre not treated well, I need to start gathering ideas for a yarn sub.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

socksforphlox

Livin' the dream

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005 06:55:25 AM »

The USDA needs to proofread and not just spellcheck!

"The two goat types differ in temperaments, too.  The Angoras
are pretty laid back and docile, while cashmere and/or Spanish meat
goats are often flighty and high strung.  (Incidentally, Angora
goats, which do produce mohair, do not produce Angora hair; only
rabbis can produce that.)
"

I hear that it's significantly more difficult to shave a rabbi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My knitting blog: Random Wooly Thoughts
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005 06:58:02 AM »

ROFL!!  But shaving rabbis is so fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thanksgiving Frittata
How to Make Holiday Side Dishes
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Part 1
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Part 2
How to Make Homemade Stuffing, Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...