A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool stores and felt supplies in Glasgow???  (Read 4203 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beathag
« on: September 25, 2009 10:57:45 AM »

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and new in Glasgow and I was wondering where I can find here shops to buy yarn for knitting and wool for felting.
I just discovered the k1 which is quite close my place but I don't care if you suggest me something in city center or anywhere I can go by subway.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sayhello_walrus
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010 09:12:01 AM »

Hello! I'm also new in Glasgow (okay I'm not but I still don't know too many people cos I'm a hermit Roll Eyes ) so I empathise if you're the same) There's a wool shop on Queen Margaret Drive (it might be k1, can't remember the name of it) Queen Margaret Drive is just north of Botanic Gardens. There's also the Life Craft on Great Western Road which sell yarn and also have a knitting group on Monday evenings. Mandors are a bigger chain store on Renfrew Street. Get the subway to Cowcaddens and go north across the road (bring a map cos the streets around the motorway here are soooooo confusing, well to me they were and I had a map!!) I saw some sort of tool in Mandors that had a picture of a felt flower on it, so maybe they sell felting supplies lol! They're definitely your best bet, being a bigger store especially for crafts. John Lewis also sell yarn. Oxfam on Byres Road also have a little table with pairs of knitting needles, sometimes odd ones too which is good for me cos I'm always losing them, and baskets of yarn and other little bits. Let me know if you find any other treasure troves, I hate buying yarn on Ebay!! (I've actually gone off knitting in favour of sewing, I just reeeeeally don;t have the patience...) Babble babble, good luck!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010 09:14:07 AM by sayhello_walrus » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sayhello_walrus
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010 09:38:44 AM »

Shocked Oh my god, I just realised your question is a year old! Oops, I suppose you know all those bits of info by now :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Merihell
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010 03:39:00 PM »

Well, just incase anyone was wondering...

K1 yarns on Queen Margaret Drive closed down last year to focus on their Edinburgh branch (not that i mind, they were overpriced and unfriendly), but there is now a cafe/yarn shop there called the Yarn Cake which has opened in the last few weeks and they stock a good variety of yarn across different price ranges.
Mandors is pretty useless for yarn i'm afraid, their stock is limited at best.
John Lewis has lots of nice yarn and a good haberdashery but if you buy some yarn there don't expect it to still be in stock a few months later, they change their stock fairly regularly.
The Life Craft has some gorgeous yarns and also sell kits of stuff you can spin yourself. Vonnie who runs the place is fabulous and i'm sure she would order stuff in for you if you like. They can be a little pricey but all the stuff they sell is really nice.

Anyhoo, yes old thread, but up to date info   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~fallenfairy~
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011 12:50:01 PM »

Again I realise this is really old, but there is a fantastic wool shop on Gallowgate just before Barrowlands is awesome, like the friendliest people, SO MUCH choice and just generally really lovely
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pumpkin Picking Tips
Different Types of Pumpkins
Easy Pumpkin Carving Tips
How to Make Decoupage Plates
How to Make a Plate
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...