A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,064
Currently Running With Scissors:
364 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions for Scrap Blanket?  (Read 623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CortneytheGreat
« on: September 24, 2009 08:25:02 PM »

I want to start making a blanket that could fit on a pretttty small bed, like a twin or "college" twin.  I have ALOT of scraps and really random skeins of yarn of all colors.  Almost all are worsted weight yarn.
Now, I've been trying to find a blanket or afghan pattern that I like, but I'm not quite sure.  I want something where I can use as many of the color as possible, but not in like a very stripey way or in a ton of itsy bitsy squares (because I'm really horrible at sewing them all together).
I like really different, unique, almost random stuff.  So if anyone has any patterns or techniques or ideas they want to suggest, that would be INCREDIBLE and I would love you forever!

Thank you Thank you Thank you for even reading this.  I'm seriously extrememly grateful for the help! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knowledge is power.  Power corrupts.  So study hard and be EVIL!

Have a little one on the way and will craft and swap for anything handmade and baby-friendly Cheesy

Will be going through my clothes and stuff soon so I'll be ready to give away some craft-able materials!
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009 05:08:59 AM »

I'm in a similar situation; here's what I'm doing:

Sort the yarn by the amount of it you have, so a pile for yarn you only have a small amount of, a pile for slightly bigger balls, and a pile of larger amounts... whatever makes sense for the bits and bobs you have.

I'm making squares this way, using the small pile for the middle rounds, and using larger balls the farther from the middle I get.  This gives you the best chance of having enough yarn to go around.

Now, I know you didn't want to have to sew a bunch of squares together, but doing it that way will at least make for bigger squares, and you could always crochet them all together, either with a slip stitch or single crochet, or something like a flat braided join. (I found this page that shows a bunch of different joining options)

Oh, and if you can work over your yarn ends as you go you'll cut way down on how much "weaving in the ends" you'll have to do.

If you only have really small amounts of each, maybe try a yo-yo afghan?  That one is join as you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommycrochets
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009 10:15:35 AM »

I have made a couple scrapghans http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/68/468/0/83/29/2661083290047560794BYAeUI_th.jpg here is one I made for my DD.
I use a P hook and 2 strands of yarn 1 White 1 whatever color I pull out of a box. I do 2 rows or until the color runs out whatever comes first. You can use what ever color for the main strand you want it doesn't have to be white I used a SC but you can use whatever stitch you want or as many diff stitches.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013 02:01:48 PM by pinkleo - Reason: non-working pic(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009 11:05:26 AM »

Are you on ravelry?  I know there are a lot of blanket patterns there.  You could easily look for one where the repeating pattern doesn't necessarily have to be the same throughout.  Like maybe the circles to squares?  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/circles-to-squares-afghan

I saw someone here on craftster, I'm sorry, I don't recall who, that used two strands of yarn thru their whole blanket, but made the stripes really subtle by changing only one strand at a time.  So say, do red and pink for awhile, then pink and orange, then orange and yellow, etc. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009 05:09:18 PM »

This is perplexing... Granny squares are the obvious choice. They don't have to be sewn together. They can be crocheted together. All you have to do is Keep the squares the same amount of stitches, and line up the loops. You just do it from the back, going thru a pair of butted -up loops at a time.Leave 3 inches of yarn to weave in later. It helps to have safety pins in the corners. so, If you get that down,
here's my idea...
Make a bunch of random geometric shapes in different colors, and sew them all together, like a crazy quilt.
Sorry! This sounds even more maddening than just putting squares together. But, it might be more fun!
Or, start by making a six-sided shape, and then randomly build on each side, not going around the center piece each time, but just doing a section on one side of the hexagon at a time. you could end up with a real unique crazy design, without
having to sew anything together. Just change up your stitches, as you please,as often as you change your colors.
Example... do several rows of a single crochet on one side, change colors, work across the next side in a double, do the next section in a shell stitch. What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CortneytheGreat
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009 02:37:21 AM »

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions!
The two-strand blanket sounds like a great idea.  I like the idea of gradually changing the colors.
Also, I like the idea of doing just random stitches and getting some crazy design.
I think what I'm going to try is a mix of both and see what happens.  =]
Happy accidents always have the best results!

Thank you again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knowledge is power.  Power corrupts.  So study hard and be EVIL!

Have a little one on the way and will craft and swap for anything handmade and baby-friendly Cheesy

Will be going through my clothes and stuff soon so I'll be ready to give away some craft-able materials!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009 12:09:06 PM »

That sounds like a great idea, using the two colors, and doing the random stitches thing. I'm going to have to do a test of this myself! K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Increase Your Available Light
How an SLR Camera Differs from a Point and Shoot Camera
Learn about F Stop Increments
Learn about Depth of Field - The Three Rules
How to Check and Clean Your Sensor Dust
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...