A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 5,400 Dots Bathroom redo(lotsa pics)  (Read 4144 times)
Tags for this thread: dots , bathroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alykorn

Crafting to annoy my husband.....

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2009 07:43:49 PM »

I despised my old bathroom. So after I terrorized my kitchen with scrapbook paper, I turned my attention to my bathroom.
The total cost for all materials including ripping out the bad sheetrock and replacing it with new, was about 200$
here is the sneak peek after--

here is the before-

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Joanne's fabric had an awesome sale and I thought oooh DOTS!!!!

It wound up taking 90 pages of scrapbook paper. I bought thirty at first and ran out. This was after my bouncy baby girl scattered 500 dots across my livingroom. I am still finding dots in odd places. I used a 1 inch whale punch and stacked three pieces of paper to punch the dots out. I got 49 1 inch dots per page, then I went back with a 1/2 inch punch and  punched out 30 some odd 1/2 inch dots.
I Modpoged the dots to the 1/4" plywood, which was glued to the new sheetrock with indoor Liquid Nails and adhesive caulk. I would paint the spot with Mp (modpoge) and then place the dot and Mp over the dot.
In a shower environment modpodge is not enough protection, so I went over it with spar varnish. The modpoge sealed and protects the paper, the oil based spar varnish will make unprotected paper look like a giant oil stain if the paper is not sealed first..  I messed up with that because I did not make sure I got the clear. So the amber color toned down the colors somewhat which only irrates me. If I redo the shower I think my husband will divorce me:)

Rip out three walls.
Find an unholy mess and realize that the people who built the house were insane.
Keep chanting that it is ok.

Add a buddy,

Re-texture walls with watered down Gorilla Glue and the cheapest possible paper towels I could find. They were the type that chain bathrooms use. The gorilla glue is water proof when it dries so I knew once it dried I would not have to worry about the humidity of the bathroom affecting the texture. I would use a inch paint brush and dip it in the glue mix and paint a  drippy line on the wall, then put a sheet of the paper towel up there and paint the wall behind the paper with the glue mix, then paint the paper itself. It was very delicate not to tear the paper and end up with a giant spitball.

I ripped out the vanity and the sink and designed my own, which still needs to finshed and the drawers added in . hopefully this weekend.

Let me know what you think!!! I can only work on it about an hour a day do it has taken me over a month, this weekend is the final push to finish everything after that I will have the final pictures.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009 07:46:35 PM by alykorn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lotsofglue.blogspot.com/
I rant here and post my House Art Project.Look in the May posts.
Singalala

Life is too short to wear ugly shoes

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009 09:06:19 PM »

WOW!!! That is A LOT of work!

I love the organic design of the border between the "tiles" and the textured wall and that sink unit is so nice. The little scrapbook tiles have a great colour and it really creates a scalelike texture which is so interesting to see. it would definitly make me want to touch it to see what it feels like  Wink

But I can't help but wonder about how waterproof it turnes out to be, especially in the shower. Plywood can become very, very messy when humid. I really hope your varnish is enough to waterproof it all...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been seriously ill. I will get back to everyone to finish up all swaps and stuff. I am home now.

My wists http://www.wists.com/singalala

Junk jewelry swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322611.0
Ongoing ATC swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322889
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009 09:15:17 PM »

I love the idea for retexuring the walls with Gorilla Glue and paper towels! Where did you learn that? I must give it a try!

Spar varnish is used for boats so I think you'll be fine in the shower Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009 09:28:28 PM »

This is a really awesome project that you have taken on, but I can't help but wonder why you bothered with sheetrock if you covered it with plywood.  And I do hope that the sheetrock is the kind that goes in a shower.  Otherwise you may end up with a mold problem.

All in all, it's a great looking project and I am looking forward to finished pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KMOM13
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009 10:19:26 PM »

Know how tedious and time consuming putting in pieces one by one can be - have admire your patience.  It already looks 100% better than when it started.  Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009 10:23:01 PM »

You are doing an awesome job..... but my favorite pic is the one with the kid in the tub!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
spoiledBlonde
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009 07:23:42 AM »

I think this job is really Amazing and I give you tons of credit for not giving up while having the lil ones!!!!
Please keep us posted:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alykorn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009 12:28:11 PM »

WOW!!! That is A LOT of work!

I love the organic design of the border between the "tiles" and the textured wall and that sink unit is so nice. The little scrapbook tiles have a great colour and it really creates a scalelike texture which is so interesting to see. it would definitly make me want to touch it to see what it feels like  Wink

But I can't help but wonder about how waterproof it turnes out to be, especially in the shower. Plywood can become very, very messy when humid. I really hope your varnish is enough to waterproof it all...

My husband calls it Dragon Scale. Everything is caulked and caulked again, before I put the boards on I even caulked the backside from the edge to about an inch in.

I double checked the types of varnish and found that Spar vanrish was the best choice. It takes allot to chip or cut it they use that type for bars and boats.
I tested cheap wooden frames with this method outside in the south texas weather, the frames and paper withstood flooding and heat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alykorn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009 12:36:18 PM »

I love the idea for retexuring the walls with Gorilla Glue and paper towels! Where did you learn that? I must give it a try!

Spar varnish is used for boats so I think you'll be fine in the shower Smiley

I was using the papertowels to fill in bad spots in the orignal sheetrock and it gave it a neater texture than the generic light bumpy wall that was there. I need to adjust my camera and take an up close picture.
I did find that you can use cheap tolit paper too but the perferated line shows up allot and you have to spend more time covering that line up.
Plus, I absolutely was not going to spend 30 plus on tools to texture. I learned from my kitchen that when the house shifts, plaster cracks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alykorn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009 12:44:06 PM »

This is a really awesome project that you have taken on, but I can't help but wonder why you bothered with sheetrock if you covered it with plywood.  And I do hope that the sheetrock is the kind that goes in a shower.  Otherwise you may end up with a mold problem.

All in all, it's a great looking project and I am looking forward to finished pictures.

Honestly, I wondered the same thing. My husband insisted that it would give the greenrock extra protection, therefore giving the studs under the house and in the wall and extra layer of protection. The scrape/discolored spot in the second picture was were water had been getting thru and  the water had destroyed the sheetrock. We wanted to make sure that kids would not be able to push on the wall to hard and break the shower. The only downside is that if a pipe burst I will have to go in thru my bedroom wall to fix it Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Mutated Pictures in Gimp
How to Make Flaming Text in Gimp
How to Change the Film Speed in Windows Movie Maker
How to Change the Audio of Your Videos in Windows Movie Maker
Turn Yourself Into a Vampire in Gimp
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...