A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two finished slouch type hats  (Read 2067 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fadedpink
« on: September 24, 2009 06:04:36 PM »

These are two of the three hats I finished this week. The third was the same yarn as the green hat shown, but a different stitch pattern. I made it for my friend and she was so happy that I didn't have a chance to take pictures of it before she took it!  Cheesy I've been looking everywhere for these slouch type hats and wasn't happy with any of them enough to buy them. So I made my own!

The purple hat is an open stitch pattern I kinda made up using a version of the shell stitch. With the hot Florida weather, it's nice to be able to start wearing it now! Both of these are made with Caron Simply Soft, and a size K hook.

side view:

back view:

The green one I made for my sister. After seeing my purple one she wanted one that wasn't so open. You can kind of see the shell stitch pattern I used in this one. Sorry they're blurry, my sister wouldn't stand still!

side view:

back view:

Please be honest! Would you wear these? Would you buy them? How much would you be willing to spend on something like this? (So many questions I know!  Tongue )

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CortneytheGreat
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009 06:59:02 PM »

These are awesome!  I've been wanting to make one like the purple one for a while now in white, but I just haven't gotten around to it.  This has definately inspired me to do it now!

For selling them, I'm kinda a cheapskate so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.  My first initial idea was $10, but you could maybe sell these at a boutique for about $20 or so.  I'm seen alot uglier and worse crafted hats go for even more than that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knowledge is power.  Power corrupts.  So study hard and be EVIL!

Have a little one on the way and will craft and swap for anything handmade and baby-friendly Cheesy

Will be going through my clothes and stuff soon so I'll be ready to give away some craft-able materials!
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009 07:21:29 PM »

I love slouchy hats and they're really 'in' right now. I never buy them, 'cause they're so expensive but yours are really nice. I like the purple one a lot, it has a cool pattern, it looks kind of like a spiderweb.

I know people would buy them. Honestly I think the first hat would be more popular than the second. I'm cheap but I like to *ahem* window shop  Grin and the right people would pay $20. I say you should try to sell for $14-15 and then maybe you can buy pricier yarns and go up to $20.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009 07:51:01 PM »

I've seen similar for $40 and $50 on etsy.com. Since you're using acrylic yarn, I think $18 or $20 would be a reasonable price. If you were to use organic yarn or specialty yarn, I would charge $5-10 more depending on the cost of the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009 08:19:34 PM »

I agree with the above info. I really like the top one it's really cute and unique! I may just have to make one for myself! I only tend to buy something from someone if  I don't have the time to make it myself, or I like their yarn better. I'm so sensitive to fancy yarns that unless it's a bamboo or some really pretty color of acrylic I won't buy the item.

I just love the purple one though! That stitch is really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ConnieStieler
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009 08:38:53 PM »

Gorgeous hats!  I really like the green hat's pattern, but I love the purple yarn, such a great color!  I would totally wear them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hbrady99
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009 11:14:50 AM »

Love them!  I've been making slouch hats to sell lately- got everything set up for my store, besides pics of the products up  Cheesy .  I've been planning on selling them for at least $20 with the cheaper yarns- just cuz they're hot now and the time it takes the create them (always remember that your time is valuable  Wink).  I might make a few with the more high priced yarns and mark those up- and see how they sell.  I have two awesome yarn stores near me- so I can get just about anything anyone would want.  I'm hoping to save up some money for X-mas shopping this way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star. - Nietzsche

www.geekcrafts.com
fadedpink
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009 02:48:00 PM »

Thanks a lot! I don't know if I'm going to try to sell them, though I do know a few people that will be getting some as gifts for Christmas this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazygurlygirl
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010 07:08:23 AM »

Wow...these are your patterns?  They are awesome!  I would charge around $20 for these...like everyone else has said...then mark up if made with specialty yarns...I'd love a pattern for these if you're willing to share...   My boss loves these and what a better way to brown nose the boss than by making a hat for her "just cuz"  tehehehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Much Do Glass Blowing Artists Make
How to Choose the Right Yarn for a Knitting Project
How to Cut Fabric
How to Engrave Your Drinking Glasses
How to Decorate a Shadow Box
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...