A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pop-up ATC with tutorial  (Read 2913 times)
Tags for this thread: popup , atc , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ysmeine
« on: September 24, 2009 06:12:21 AM »

This series was created to show the techniques used on some of my other ATC's. As those were originals, I changed the themes. They are called "Sprout", "spread your wings", and "take flight".

"Sprout" uses the same technique as my Oogie Boogie ATC in the Halloween pop-up swap.

I started with a seedling tab and a pot on the front cover. I then cut an opening above the pot for the seedling to grow through.

The seedling is fed upside down through the back and then folded over one inch above the opening, so the tab comes out the bottom.

line the backing with brown, so that the opening will look like dirt, you can also cover the tab end with brown if you like.

Notch the front and back for tab.

glue only the top, sides, and just the part on the bottom that do not touch the tab. You can see an outline here.

When you pull the tab the seedling will grow.

"Spread your wings" uses a flap that pulls an image up like my daughters zombie hand ATC

I started with a cocoon and cut around the sides and bottom, leaving a portion on top intact. You will fold at the top to make a flap.

Then I take a tab that fits the opening and fold the top aprox. 1/8" from the top.

Glue the folded edge even with the edge of the inside flap, and trim tab to shape of flap. I then attatched a butterfly image to the tab. This should be inside the opening. You can line the inside of the backing piece to match the tab.

Trim the tab so that it is 1/8" from the edge of card. It is a good idea to not have your flap too close to the bottom. You need room for your image. On this card it was cut a little close.

Glue the parimeter of the front and back pieces together, without glueing the tab. When you lift the flap the image should rise up and lift off the surface.

I forgot to take detailed photos of "Take flight". I started with a bird cut out on the back ground. I cut a small slit for the wing tab. I cut out a wing leaving a small tab to thread through the slit in the bird. The tab is then glued to the back side of the cover to attatch it. Here you can see the folded wing with an additional tab attatched and threaded through the same slit.

When you push in the tab the wing raises for flight, pull it back out and the bird is at rest. If I had threaded the pull tab through the wing, I would have more movement.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009 06:17:18 AM by ysmeine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009 07:03:57 AM »

Oh, I love them!
They're great..................  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009 02:52:00 AM »

AWESOME. Thanks for sharing your techniques. Do you have a link to your Halloween ATCs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009 08:11:25 AM »

Sure, sorry about that. The gallery is here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=321042.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010 09:33:34 AM »

Thankyou! the seed one reminds me of some of those magic tricks they do with seeds growing into flowers very fast Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010 10:48:19 AM »

Great work!  Thank you for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Basic Card Games - Rummy
How to Play Basic Card Games - Black Jack
Learn to Play Basic Card Games
How to Play I Want To Hold on a Guitar
How to Play Let It Be on a Guitar
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...