A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need suggestions on what color to use next  (Read 1231 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2009 09:20:22 PM »

I've been working non stop on this for a bit and am to a 'point' where I have to make a decision, I need to determine what color scheme to do for my octopus, I've included a few up close shots of bits of this it's rather tiny and I'm still adding color and blending a bit but could definitely use some input before I go much further
Last shot is with a double A battery just to show the scale.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009 10:28:22 PM »

Holy crap! I can't help you with a colour choice but that is totally awesome! It's so fantastic... the details, the colours... I really love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KraftyKat85
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009 10:39:58 PM »

First I'd like to say this is absolutely wonderful.  Cheesy You've done an excellent job! I would think it depends on if you want a realistic look or something fun and funky. If you want realistic, I'd go with mauve's, pinks, and purples, usually the outer skin is a darker mauve purple sometimes w/a little orange tint, and the suction cups are a lighter pinkie to almost white with a bit of the darker mauve coloring. If you want fun and funky you could use a mix of purples, blues, teals, greens. I found a few links on google, I'm sure you could find more but here are two displaying the first color combination for a typical octopus - http://chemistry.csudh.edu/faculty/jim/cozaugo4-600/octopus.jpg & http://neatorama.cachefly.net/anita/nine-tentacled-octopus.jpg Here's one that actually naturally blue, it's a Caribbean reef octopus http://www.aboututila.com/Photos/AdamLaverty/Creature-Caribbean-Reef-Octopus.JPG and then this last one I just thought was pretty cool too it's a blue ringed octopus http://articles.mercola.com/ImageServer/public/2008/February/2.26octopus.jpg. anyway I hope that helps, I would have just posted the pics but if I remember right that breaks the rules so I just put the links to the originating page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ in order to be irreplaceable one must always be different - Coco Chanel ~
kewlmomma
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009 06:11:43 AM »

Wow! I just wanted to say Good Job. This is really lovely to look at. I wish I could see it in person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition form mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009 08:21:09 AM »

this is incredible!  Great job Wink  I vote for bright red orange.   We have octopus up where we live and they're generally orangey red. So I guess I'm sorta partial to it. Grin I think the suggestion about the blue ringed octopus is cool but I think they are pretty small.  I just love this..such a nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
bonesaw
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009 09:49:11 AM »

Chinese orange may be my best opinion with a light pink tone on the suction cups,
I suggest drawing a few thumbnails of the octopus on a paper and test a few color combinations.
That will give you a better idea before you ad paint to the sculpture. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Illustrations, paintings and other knick knacks.

Party time all the time.

christianpena.etsy.com
pocketwatch
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009 10:14:07 PM »

It's wonderful! But I can't tell what color would work with it from the lighting in the picture. I like how as a white octopus it stand out from the surroundings really well. But I suppose you don't or you wouldn't ask. Light grey is my vote then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SilverM0on
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010 06:20:14 PM »

i would use a bright red whit white suction cups and darker red and black for the skin details
i would also add brighter green in the vegetation to make the  earthy tone stand out more

its stunning i love it <3 <3

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Monna
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010 12:23:07 AM »

Wow!! That is amazing!

Agreeing with the bright red/orange and white idea...though it might be cool to see the octopus gradually changing in color from the surrounding coral he is touching to his "natural color" further up his body? Just a thought Smiley

But it's still increadible, regardless!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~R.I.P. Ofc Durman~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Courtesan’s Scandal Book Trailer by Julia London
Philippa Gregory Reads from Her Book the Red Queen
Author Regan Hofmann on Her Greatest Achievement
Novelist Lynda La Plante Introduces the Red Dahlia
Archbishop Carl Bean Talks About His New Book: I Was Born This Way
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...