A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,085
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art Journaling Advice!  (Read 808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karin_

Swedish craftster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 29, 2010 01:45:03 AM »

Hello art board!

I usually don't hang out here much... But lately I've been thinking more and more about starting an art journal, both because I want to practice my creative side and because I need to start writing down my thoughts. The thing is, when I look at all the gorgeous and intricate art journal on flickr, Craftster and other sites, I feel completely overwhelmed and intimidated! I just don't know where to start... I just can't get my head around the steps of the process, from blank page to complete piece.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tutorial for starting an art/altered/visual journal? I would love to start with a kind of step-by-step guide, just to learn the basics before I can improvise more on my own. Any tips or ideas?

Thanks!
/Karin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monna
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010 01:08:20 AM »

I know what you mean; I get that way looking at homemade books  Smiley It's pretty overwhemling...

I'd say start slow; get a spiral notebook or an artist's sketch book and start writing/sketching/pasting to get the creative juices flowing. Then maybe get a book or two from Goodwill and just wing it, slicing and dicing and doing whatever.

It's hard not to want to plan everything out - I'm a total perfectionist who wants everything to be perfect  Undecided But the nature of a journal is an evolving thing, so it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the whole project kept changing over time. Plus by starting out in a learning mode, you can develop a feel for the techniques you want to use and be able to make whole books in one sitting later on.

The cool thing is that the journals will eventually become like a portfolio; a progression of work. And that's always a good thing to look back on Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~R.I.P. Ofc Durman~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Biscuits with Andouille Gravy
How to Make Monte Cristo Sandwiches with Little Big Town
How to Make a Ramen Burger
Five & Dine: Buffalo Chicken Pizza
How to Make a Zesty Texas-Style Pot Roast
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...