A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OH DEER. Antlers?!?!?  (Read 23828 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , antlers , deer , costume_idea , halloween_costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2009 02:15:07 PM »

you know, i hadn't even intended it, but after spending most of my day decorating for my halloween party and handing out candy to trick-or-treaters, i hadn't given much thought to my costume. 
so, i wound up being a last minute deer too!!

i just wore a white ruffly shirt (fuzzy deer chest) and a brown hoodie.  my wonderful friend whipped up the little ears for me in about 10 minutes Wink
thank you so much for posting this; it was really inspiring!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2009 02:32:44 PM »

So how did the antlers and costume turn out?  I've been lurking this thread and really love the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
delphizyx
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009 06:59:56 AM »

Sorry, I can't post the photos directly in this thread/only links since I haven't made enough posts on this site.

Thank you so much for this thread. I ended up with an awesome costume that I love because of it.

I found this post on Friday when I was looking for ideas on how to make my own antlers. I was just going to do a woodland nymph sort of thing, but once I saw the make-up in the original post, I knew I was going to go the whole 9 yards with the look.

I ended up making my horns out of Ultralight Sculpey, which I highly recommend for projects like this. It was easy to mold (almost too easy, so I put a bendable wire in the center to give it some  support while it was baking). I also used the wire that stuck out the bottom for the initial attachment to the headband I got, which had three bands on it. Before baking, I fluted the bottom of the antlers and added pin holes to the base, so I could eventually "sew" it onto the headband. If I did it again, I would recommend making an impression of the headband on the bottom before baking as well. I accidentally left my bottoms convex, and it didn't cause any problems, but it would have looked better/been easier to make it fit better directly.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/29753_02Nov09_horns.jpg

Once it baked (it took about 30 minutes on 275 since it was a bit thick), I painted it with watered down acrylic paint.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/29753_02Nov09_horn.jpg

My boyfriend helped me with the make up (which of course I directly copied from here). I'd also added a couple of ears made with sticky backed-felt stuck to a piece of faux fur material cut in the shape of ears. I folded the base, sewed a few stitches to give it dimension and stuck it on my head with a bobby pin on each side. The antlers and ears were so light, I often forgot I had them on all night.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/29753_02Nov09_deercostume5.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009 09:56:32 AM »

Wow, those turned out really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009 02:22:19 PM »

thast my friend amber, she was a raccoon Tongue (i did her makeup!)
my costume was my antlers which i made by getting real twigs from my backyard, and i wrapped them in electrical tape, then used the same tape to tape them to a black headband.
i wore a brown tank top with a brown cardigan over it. and i did my makeup based on the photo in the original post, i then used some white fuzzy fabric i had in my stash to make my kneck piece, and i also made a fluffy tail Smiley

for the makeup, i used  mixture of eyeshadow and eye drops, it worked SO well!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2009 03:26:14 PM »

so many people made this costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009 11:02:33 AM »

yeah, that makeup was just too fun and cute to pass up!  lol
i'm loving everyone's antlers.  kinda makes me wish i had had the time to whip up a pair too...

all these deer (and the racoon) are so. damn. cute. !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
hellotheremary
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2009 04:07:23 PM »

OP is back!!! I'm so surprised everyone ended up being deer, it makes me so happy!!! Cheesy
I ended up getting gross-sick and not having time to get aaaanything done.
So 2 days before Halloween I ended up making some antlers out of Model Magic, since it was what I had lying around. I made ears, and a tail too!
I hot glued the ears and antlers to an old headband. I liked the way it turned out, because I ended up putting in a lot less effort then I wanted to.
Cheesy

My boyfriend was Speed Racer!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009 04:09:45 PM by hellotheremary » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Mary Rose
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Best Dressed Stars: Sports Illustrated Model, NYFW and More
Striped Swimsuit Trends
Trends In Swimsuit Shorts
Technical Novelty Swimsuit Trends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...