A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sunglass Case - Step by Step Tutorial  (Read 10976 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , sponsored_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewingRepublic
« on: September 23, 2009 10:39:33 AM »

Sponsored Project - Sunglass Case from SewingRepublic.com

Sunglass Case

by Juliette Lanvers

Materials
  • 2 squares of fabric 8" x 8"
  • 1 piece of thin batting 9" x 9"
  • 1 piece of 1/2" wide double-fold bias binding
  • 1 piece of 1/4" wide elastic
  • Contrasting thread for quilting
  • Matching thread for construction

Tools
  • Ruler
  • Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
  • Fabric marking pen, pencil or chalk

Steps

1. Layer your squares.
Place one layer of fabric right-side-up on the batting square with the wrong side of the fabric against the batting. Mark a line along the center of the top square with a fabric marking pen, pencil or chalk; it will guide your first line of quilting.

2. Quilt your layers.
This project is small enough that you dont need to pin it much; add a few pins to hold the two layers together. Make your first quilting line down the middle following your mark. You will use this line and your presser foot to guide you through the rest of the quilting.

Cutting

3. Bind the top edge.
Once the layers are quilted together place the final layer of fabric down with its wrong side against the batting. Trim all edges so they are even.

Sewing

4. Now it's time to bind the top edge. Notice the double fold is not completely even. The deeper side of the bias should be place over what will be the inside of the finished glasses cozy. Pin the binding in place over one side of the quilted square. Stitch the binding in place along the inside fold, edgestitching from the outside of the cozy.

5. Sew the sides shut.
Fold your work in half and sew the bottom shut following the edge of your all-purpose foot. If you do not want to add elastic to the top you can sew the side too, all the way up. Make sure to backstitch each time you start and stop to reinforce your work. Trim the seam allowance for ease in turning the case.

6. If you want to add elastic, slide it first through the binding and pull it to the desired length.

7. Sew the side catching the ends of the elastic in the stitching. Be sure to backstitch.

8. Trim the excess elastic from the seam allowance and turn the case right-side-out.

9. You can now enjoy your creative Sunglass Case!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009 12:45:30 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrisbburger
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009 08:54:54 PM »

I am a beginning sewer and quilter with only a couple of projects under my belt.

I just completed this project as a little gift for my Mom. I thought the instructions were easy to follow and I am happy with the results except I find I could use some help with how to attach the binding in a way that would allow the elastic to fit in what seems like such a tiny space. I must be doing something wrong but there has to be more to the technique of attaching binding and inserting the elastic than is in these instructions. Any advice?

Here is my finished project. I quilted lines in a wavy pattern. Other than trouble with the binding, I really like how this turned out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009 10:37:03 AM »

My first quilting project - it didn't turn out half bad, either!  I think next time I would use the elastic - I left it out this time - since the mouth of the bag is larger than I thought it would be. 

Love the results though!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Invert Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Sectioning and Planning the Style
How to Cornrow Hair
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Modifying the Curly Look
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Competing the Curly Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...